#250Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 1:15pm

Tickets were also bought for the tour

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#251Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 1:27pm

RippedMan said: "Tickets were also bought for the tour "

What tour are you referring to?  Are they relaunching the cancelled tour?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#252Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 1:30pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "RippedMan said: "Tickets were also bought for the tour "

What tour are you referring to? Are they relaunching the cancelled tour?
"

He's saying that he still doubts the NYC run will happen, because tickets were also bought for the tour that was cancelled.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#253Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 6:01pm

Zenobia said: "Having seen the show several times in London - if they use the same set (and I'm sure they will) they cannot bring the action downstage due to how the set is constructed. There's a lot of camera work though, so they might install extra screens up on the balcony and on the very sides of the orchestra where people might be able to see what they're missing (at least in part). But I would avoid the balcony and make sure to be able to see as much of the whole stage as possible."

If they use the entire stage and have screens or a scrim against the back wall the balcony will be hard pressed to see anything. And if they use scaffolding to elevate actors or musicians way upstage by the back wall the balcony will have a hard time seeing then as well. My guess is that extra screens will be put in on the sides (as Zenobia stated) similar to what they use for television Upfronts or Concerts to give the balcony a better view of things. And that could work well if video is incorporated already in the staging.

The best seats in the house at City Center, and you may quote me, are in the Grand Tier.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#254Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 8:22pm

Surprised the tour cast are still involved given how much negativity they put out about the cancelled tour. But I guess a job is a job! I hope they keep the crazy staging and we don’t get a watered down version! It’s a long sit down! Too bad they couldn’t find a better venue for it.

LightsOut90
#255Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 8:39pm

I am going to assume the tour cast is contractually obligated to be involved. 

Tjlovesmusicals
#256Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 9:49pm

Any idea if meatloaf would be there on opening night?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#257Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:03pm

If he heals up by then. Transcribed from a video message posted to the tour's Facebook page:

"Hi, this is Meat Loaf, and I had planned on being in New York this week to help announce the exciting news about the Bat Out of Hell musical. But I got so distracted, thinking about the killer performances and the head-banging songs, that I fell right off a stage and banged myself up real good! Ouch! So let this serve as a warning: Bat Out of Hell will seep into your brain and make you lose all control! The leads of this show, Andrew and Christina, are true rock stars and they've never made our songs sound better; in fact, the entire damn show is so good it might be hazardous to your health! So see it at your own risk - but see it!"

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#258Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:06pm

But they burned them bad. Just surprised they all were like “okay sure.” Seems odd. And just surprised there were no other auditions or anything. Seems very strange. But I def want to see the show.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#259Down to One
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:17pm

Well...I'm in.  Third time better be a charm [tour canx for SF and DC previously].  Flying in from San Fransissyco  August 19 and attending August 20 at 7pm.  Center orchestra, row L, aisle seats.  Happy to receive feedback from anyone re the location.

SmoothLover
#260Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 1:50am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Well...I'm in. Third time better be a charm [tour canx for SFand DC previously]. Flying in from SanFransissyco August 19 and attending August 20 at 7pm. Center orchestra, row L, aisle seats. Happy to receive feedback from anyone re the location."

I think your seat will be great. It is 4 or 5 rows from the back of the house. I do not think it is a show one would want to sit to close to.

The one thing that my stage hand friend told me was that some of the delays that happened as far as officially announcing the run and starting ticket sales had to do with a back and forth between lawyers. I would guess some of it had to do with technical elements of the show since you cannot compromise the proscenium or the interior of the theatre. My other guess would be financial agreements especially if the producer cancels the show.. 

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#261Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 3:24am

SmoothLover said: "Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Well...I'm in. Third time better be a charm [tour canx for SFand DC previously]. Flying in from SanFransissyco August 19 and attending August 20 at 7pm. Center orchestra, row L, aisle seats. Happy to receive feedback from anyone re the location."

I think your seat will be great. It is 4 or 5 rows from the back of the house. I do not think it is a show one would want to sit to close to.

The one thing that my stage hand friend told me was that some of the delays that happened as far as officially announcing the run and starting ticket sales had to do with a back and forth between lawyers. I would guess some of it had to do with technical elements of the show since you cannot compromise the proscenium or the interior of the theatre. My other guess would be financial agreements especially if the producer cancels the show..

"

Thanks.  And we won't even THINK "cancel", hokay?  <big grin>

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#262Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 11:10am

RippedMan said: "But they burned them bad. Just surprised they all were like “okay sure.” Seems odd. And just surprised there were no other auditions or anything. Seems very strange. But I def want to see the show. "

Doing a show when you’ve had a troubled/failed history with it, sure, odd. Accepting a job because it’s offered and you need one? Not that odd.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

SherrieByTheSea
#263Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 3:57pm

I wonder if Andrew will play all shows. Went to see him in London - his understudy went on. Came home and bought 1st row center seat to Boston opening night - tour cancelled. I LOVED being in the front row. It was so much fun !

Zenobia Profile Photo
Zenobia
#264Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 4:40pm

He didn't do Wednesday Evening and Saturday Matinee in London and the two alternates went on for one show each.  As his US Tour alternate Kaleb Wells is in the cast, I presume he will be doing a few shows as Strat, too, but it's anyone's guess which. Perhaps he'll also get one show each week only as it's not such a long run. I'd treat carefully around the matinees and maybe stick with Fri or Sat Evening as the safest option for the lead guy to be on. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#265Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 5:19pm

We saw Polec at a Saturday matinee last June, so he did some matinees.

In any event, I've been listening to the cast recording and recalling how much fun I had at the show - even though it is incomprehensible, muddled and insane.  I would see it again - my lovely spouse has no such interest. 

I think they did a "sing a long" performance in London - I wonder if one will be designated for the City Center run.

Zenobia Profile Photo
Zenobia
#266Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 5:25pm

Yea I came back to say, sorry, I remembered wrongly. He didn't do Mon Eve / Wed Eve / Sat Matinee for a while, then started doing the Saturday matinee, so the other two did Monday and Wednesday Eve. I forgot that the Monday performance existed.  Still, in NY it will be 2 shows on Sat and 2 shows on Sun, which is a massive demand on a young voice, so I'm still quite sure he'll take one of these 4 off. 

Star87
#267Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 7:54pm

Not sure about the whole cast, but I know some of the leads are from the London / Toronto cast, not the US Tour company (except Andrew, who was both).

SmoothLover
#268Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 11:10pm

I find having most of the balcony partial view to be very strange. I mean why would you not book another house? The balcony is like a third or more of the entire theater. And then using video screens to compensate its like well why don't I just go home and watch television?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#269Down to One
Posted: 5/16/19 at 11:23pm

The producers have a terrible track record. I mean, the balcony of City Center is pretty damn huge. That's a large chunk of tickets that people are going to be wary of buying. Why not just come to Broadway in the summer after something closes? Like the Hair tour did, etc? This just seems odd planning and odd choices. 

SmoothLover
#270Down to One
Posted: 5/17/19 at 3:07am

To me it is not worth keeping the integrity of the original staging. Just bring everything downstage for God's sake. And put screens up on the walls in the house on the Mezz and balcony levels.

Even the Upper Mezz at City Center has sightline problems when there is a screen on the back wall or something is elevated past a point upstage .There are also sightline issues as I said before with seats to the far right or far left in the Mezz and Grand Tier. It an actor is far upstage left for example they cannot be seen by many far house right patrons.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#271Down to One
Posted: 5/17/19 at 10:52am

This whole thing is... questionable. Coming to a Broadway-adjacent theater at the end of summer? And one that is far more suited to concerts and ballet than a lavish musical production? With only the "timeless music of Meat Loaf" as the main draw? 

It... would not be something I'd invest in. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

V2David
#272Down to One
Posted: 5/17/19 at 11:54am

Very much looking forward to seeing this as I saw it in London and loved it! But the theater is making me a bit nervous. I have no idea how they are going to do this. The original show set was quite lavish and I just don't know how they are going to fit it into City Center.

P.S. This is a show people are going to either love or loathe.

SmoothLover
#273Down to One
Posted: 5/17/19 at 1:11pm

I think they purposely did not want a Broadway house but I cannot remember the reasoning. I think it might have been less expensive for them and it does seat around 2400. And maybe if you cancel at City Center you do not lose as much as if you cancel on Broadway. The only thing is I do not think you can be considered for a Tony award at City Center.

SherrieByTheSea
#274Down to One
Posted: 5/17/19 at 1:37pm

Think I'll plan a little mini-vacation. Bus or train to NYC on Friday afternoon. Hotel close to theatre district. BOoH Friday night then matinee on Sat. Maybe Frankie and Johnny?

I'm currently on treatment that causes extreme fatigue so I really have to pace myself. I'll call theatres to see if there is someway I don't have to stand for long periods of time. Problem is my medical issue isn't visible so maybe letter from doctor to verify?