pixeltracker

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews- Page 6

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#125TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/6/18 at 8:12pm

I was there last night and quite liked it. I was very moved several times in act two and the performances are already very strong in early previews. Sorkin uses Scout, Jem and Dill as narrators and someone proves that the old adage of “show, don’t tell” doesn’t always need to be adhered to.

There’s some serious nitpicking going on about the changes in this adaptation, but all adaptations are going to change bits of the source material. Things like combining characters and omitting certain episodes are par for the course of any translation from page to stage. What’s important is that the adaptor maintains the essence and tone of the source material, and I think Sorkin succeeds her admirably. The dialogue is not his usual rapid-fire, four people talking as they’re walking through the White House hallways type deal. He does play to his strengths but setting the entire play during the trial and allowing the kids to conjure up flashbacks to the events of the summer throughout.

Celia is very winning as Scout, but everyone more than earns their keep.

As one of the chief officers of the Bartlett Sher fan club, I have little objectivity when assessing his work, but I loved what he did. For a tale with so many characters, subplots and themes, Sher really understands that simplicity and crisp, clean storytelling is the way to go.

The townspeople pushing around the set reminded me of Bridges.

It was the perfect play to see the day before the election; the themes obviously resonate loudly under the Trump administration, and ultimately it gave me the shot in the arm of hope I desperately needed.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

KKeller6
#126TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/6/18 at 8:34pm

This idea of the actor's moving the set around is getting old very quickly for me. How about letting the  actor's act? 

JBC3
#127TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/6/18 at 9:06pm

KKeller6 said: "This idea of the actor's moving the set around is getting old very quickly for me. How about letting the actor's act?"

One can presume that is what they do when the script calls upon them to do so.

Grace2001
#128TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/6/18 at 10:55pm

I have always loved this novel and I love the actors chosen for the show, not to mention Sorkin's writing. I was wondering and somewhat concerned in the few pictures I have seen that the play is directed to take place in modern day. Does the cast dress for 1930s Alabama or do they dress for 2018 America? Just curious.

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#129TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/6/18 at 11:21pm

Definitely feels period piece to me. I did not feel it was set in modern day at all.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#130TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/6/18 at 11:56pm

Random question: I often go to my BroadwayBox app when I want to quickly look up information about a currently running show such as opening dates, closing dates or when previews begin. I notice To Kill a Mockingbird isn’t listed nor is it searchable within the app. Any idea why? Other plays/shows that are in previews are listed.

Grace2001
#131TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:30am

Can anyone tell me what kind of part Dill’s Mother has? I am curious as she was only spoken about on the book, but I am kind of excited to see her in the show. Does she play a major role?

Grace2001
#132TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:32am

Also, does Jeff Daniels have scheduled time off? If we see his understudy on December 15, it is fine, but we work very much like to see him!

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#133TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:43am

rclocalz said: "Definitely feels period piece to me. I did not feel it was set in modern day at all."

I have to disagree with you a bit, rclocalz – costume-wise, the piece certainly exists in period, but

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

the entire overarching set within which the smaller pieces move is a dilapidated factory-type industrial space, with scattered broken windows and peeling, water-stained paint, and the entire play is very clearly framed as a memory play, one which sees the recreation/recall of the main plot's events as framed from the present moment  

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#134TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:52am

Of course, I can agree with that. I was mainly referring to the “memory” portion of the play. Like, they didn’t set the trial in 2018 or anything like that. I think the concern is what Jeff Daniels is wearing on the cover of the playbill, but I think that image is just from a rehearsal. Daniels wears the traditional light colored suite in the play.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

MadsonMelo
#135TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 5:50am

Grace2001 said: "Can anyone tell me what kind of part Dill’s Mother has? I am curious as she was only spoken about on the book, but I am kind of excited to see her in the show. Does she play a major role?

"

Not big by any means but she appears at the stage for a brief time.

Grace2001
#136TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:18pm

Does anyone know if any merchandise is sold? Mugs, T-Shirts, etc? If not, is it possible it could be sold closer to opening?

EvanHansen
#137TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:29pm

Anyone have an up to do date run time on this?? Still 3 hours?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#138TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 12:34pm

Someone I met who worked at Golden during TTW stated that Rudin doesn’t do merch for any of his plays.

Grace2001
#139TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/7/18 at 5:22pm

I know I am full of questions but, does anyone know how many steps there are? We bought tickets months ago and I just fell and broke my femur yesterday. My doctor says I will be able to go, but to be careful. Our seats are Row F of the Orchestra and when we bought tickets, we were not able to insure them or have the option to switch dates. If worse comes to worse, I will walk, I just would rather be comfortable so I can enjoy the show.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#140TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 7:58am

Miles2Go2 said: "Someone I met who worked at Golden during TTW stated that Rudin doesn’t do merch for any of his plays."

As an avid magnet collector, I can confirm that this is basically true, but The Humans did have a merchandise booth.

Updated On: 11/8/18 at 07:58 AM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#141TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 8:55am

Triton has the official window cards. You can buy them there. I don't think they have Mockingbird posters yet.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#142TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 9:04am

I wonder if they will publish the script. I'd love to read it. 

I think the only issue I have with Sorkin is that anything he does, always seems to have this idea of "source material, or real event doesn't speak dramatically to him, he will change and alter what to suit so". I don't know why he needed to make up half of the Facebook movie, etc. 

Although, while I want to hate it, because I love the story, I can't judge it without seeing it. It seems to be a whole new thing. 

By the way, over the summer I saw the current stage adaptation, at the Stratford Festival, and I thought it was really good. I have no issues with the script. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#143TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 11:50am

kdogg36 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Someone I met who worked at Golden during TTW stated that Rudin doesn’t do merch for any of his plays."

As an avid magnet collector, I can confirm that this is basically true, butThe Humansdid have a merchandise booth.
"

You know, I think I have a t-shirt from The Humans!

mtcond
#144TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 2:58pm

Saw a preview on Monday and loved it. I've seen other stage adaptations of the material, all competent, but this was the first that made a real case for "Mockingbird" as a piece of theater, and it packs a punch. The script is non-linear, beginning with Scout (played to perfection by Celia Keenan-Bolger) wrestling with the facts of Bob Ewell's death. Our knowledge of that plot point colors what we see as the evening unfolds, and the structure allows Scout, Jim and Dill to guide us through the story freely. For instance, one of the courtroom scenes proceeds a scene in which we see Atticus accepting the case. The tension of what we know will come of this decision gives the scene extra depth. Sorkin embraces the possibilities of theatrical storytelling in a thrilling way, and even if it's a story you know well, you will encounter it in a new way. I was deeply moved several times during the evening. There are many transitions, and while they are well thought-out and the narration never stops, it does distract and break up the action. There are two kinds of scene changes--shifting to Atticus' house happens mechanically (it both flies in and rises from the floor, as well as having porch pieces that float in from the wings), while the courtroom is assembled by "the people" (the actors pull everything in from offstage). It's a lovely, if unspoken, metaphor. The acting is uniformly excellent, the scenes are fleetly played although the evening is long. The first act is bloated at 90 minutes. Especially the scenes with Mrs. Dubose, which come late in an already long act, could disappear or become narration with very little loss of content--and we'd lose a couple clunky scene changes in the process. Jeff Bridges is giving a lovely performance in an enormous role. At times he hits the same emotional tone over and over (how many different ways can you be open-hearted, forgiving and tolerant in speeches about man's essential goodness?), but he will certainly find other levels, he's a brilliant actor well-cast.  "Adults as children" works perfectly in this context, mostly because the structure is so freewheeling. (In contrast, the use of adult actors as children in "Bridges of Madison County"--also Bart Sher--was distracting and amateurish, because the rest of the story was told so literally). The play is presented as a period piece, but there's no doubt Sorkin believes in it's relevance, and has constructed dialogue that pushes that button without being preachy. We are left to see the parallels ourselves, and it's clear that the audience does. My one quibble is the use of choral singing during sections of Adam Guettel's score--it all sounded terribly messy, distractingly so. Actors who are not really singers trying to achieve complicated harmonies while moving set-pieces just did not work. Give it to one or two people, or pre-record it. That aside, this is a terrific night of theater with world-class writing and performances.

bk
#145TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 3:32pm

Jeff Bridges?  And if I read the words "deeply moved" ever again I shall scream.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#146TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 3:51pm

mtcond said: "Jeff Bridges is giving a lovely performance in an enormous role."

The dude abides!

"In contrast, the use of adult actors as children in "Bridges of Madison County"--also Bart Sher--was distracting and amateurish, because the rest of the story was told so literally)."

Huh? While perhaps not literal teens, I didn't think they were casting adults who were then pretending to be children. They were far younger than the rest of the ensemble.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#147TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/8/18 at 3:52pm

"Deeply moved."

Don't hurt your throat, bk.

WhiJo Bloom
#148TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/10/18 at 4:45pm

I just noticed that both telecharge and TDF have removed the 7pm show on December 12th from their calendar of available tickets, which is what would be the last preview before opening.

Has anyone heard anything about this change? When I checked yesterday most of the balcony was still available (I was trying to buy tickets for it but left it for today)

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#149TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Previews
Posted: 11/10/18 at 5:02pm

The play is still not listed on the BroadwayBox app. I don’t recall this ever happening before. Discount or no discount, even during previews all shows always seem to be listed. Why idea why Mockingbird isn’t?

Latest Posts

Videos