Where is everyone?

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#50Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:43pm

Wow-- for a bunch of folks who hide behind fake names and pictures, you should do get indignant when a private website regulates the unsubstantiated crap you post. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#51Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:45pm

LYLS3637 said: "Wow-- for a bunch of folks who hide behind fake names and pictures, you should do get indignant when a private website regulates the unsubstantiated crap you post."

mine is actually a picture of myself FYI

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

JSquared2
#52Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:46pm

LYLS3637 said: "Wow-- for a bunch of folks who hide behind fake names and pictures, you sure do get indignant when a private website regulates the unsubstantiated crap you post."

^^^  This.  Emphasis on the word PRIVATE.  I love all the people who think they are "owed" explanations. 

#53Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:50pm

As I am sure you can imagine, we are trying to get details on our end organized, finalized, and in place, and until we do, we are trying to avoid anything that could exacerbate problems further. I understand that that is frustrating, but it was either that or keep the board closed and not answer any questions. We are trying to be as transparent as the situation allows, but there are just certain things that if we allowed them to become major discussions would only make things worse for everyone involved. We truly apologize for that, and we hope that we can get everything resolved on our end quickly. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#54Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:52pm

JSquared2 said: "LYLS3637 said: "Wow-- for a bunch of folks who hide behind fake names and pictures, you suredo get indignant when a private website regulates the unsubstantiated crap you post."

^^^ This. Emphasis on the word PRIVATE. I love all the people who think they are "owed" explanations.
"

As 'we' should as this is a learning curve for all of us who are members and contribute on here.

vanbrig Profile Photo
vanbrig
#55Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 3:43pm

JSquared2 said: "LYLS3637 said: "Wow-- for a bunch of folks who hide behind fake names and pictures, you suredo get indignant when a private website regulates the unsubstantiated crap you post."

^^^ This. Emphasis on the word PRIVATE. I love all the people who think they are "owed" explanations.
"

I wasn't on here yesterday and I don't follow any Broadway performers on social media, so I have no idea what said/deleted. But if you don't know why your post was deleted, I don't think asking for an explanation is unreasonable, whether it's a private site or not. Restaurants and stores are private too, but if I was at a restaurant and the owner came up and told me to leave, I'd probably want to know why. Is an explanation required? No, but it's the decent thing to do and not getting one would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Much like a store purchase, using the boards can be seen in many ways as a business transaction. We come to the site, giving them clicks and generating more ad revenue. In exchange, we get to participate on the boards so long as we follow the ToS. Again, I didn't see the deleted posts so I'm not necessarily saying the mods were in the wrong. If any of the posts blatantly violated the ToS, then the posters should know why they were deleted and no additional explanation should be needed. But if they don't understand what they did wrong (maybe it could be read differently from how it was intended, maybe it was in response to something else that got deleted and was deleted by proxy, etc), then yeah, I can see why they might want an explanation. 

Updated On: 12/10/18 at 03:43 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#56Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:02pm

Can you not lock topics here? Not to overstate the importance of this forum but it is literally probably the only public source of historical audience responses to shows that is archived. Hearing that entire preview threads have been removed is disappointing. You should have just deleted the responses and locked the thread. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

#57Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:20pm

GreeneStreet said: "Every post that mentions (a certain person) has been deleted or locked. This message will be deleted since it says (her name) in it.

Every poster who says her name is mysteriously muted.

and thats the tea.
"

As you can see, we've deleted the comment that I quoted above, but I did want to address it, because it's not factually accurate, and this is something that we've mentioned before, but I wanted to put it into more specific terms. 

I'm not sure what GreeneStreet means by "mysteriously muted," but if they are referencing suspensions, those are not mysterious. The reason for the suspension appears when you log into the account. 

Also, as I said in response to SweetLips22 an hour or so ago, we are trying to avoid fanning any flames on the boards for the time being, so, yes, we are choosing to prune topics much more tightly than we otherwise would. We have been upfront about that. We are fine talking about everything that happened last night (as evidenced by the conversations throughout the day), but we want to keep those discussions productive. 

Once we settle on all of the new protocols and plans moving forward, we will let everyone know if there are any additional substantive changes, and then we can get back to normal. I guarantee you that everyone here at BWW would like that to happen as soon as humanly possible! 

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#58Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:22pm

I apologize mr. Moderator

#59Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:26pm

Oh, no need to apologize. I totally get that this whole situation is frustrating and confusing, you don't have to tell me this. But, I completely believe in trying to be as transparent as possible. Obviously there will be things that we can't talk about yet (or maybe ever), but I promise that we want to find a solution that works for everyone as much (if not more) than anyone else. 

If anyone has questions that they would like to discuss outside of the board, you are welcome to email us at moderator[at]broadwayworld[dot]com. Or you can continue to post things here. Obviously we will be continuing to trim things here as needed, but I think everyone knows that drill at this point. 

Also, just call me, Mod. Mr. Moderator is my father. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#60Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:29pm

Am I the only one who thinks it's extremely ironic that we are suffering through this in efforts to be nicer to actors, and now BWW just released asking us to vote on the best actress to play Jenna? 

No offense intended - I just fail to see how this is different.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#61Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:35pm

Not necessarily, but it is tone-deaf!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#62Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:44pm

VotePeron (and LizzieCurry by extension), you are correct. That post was not well-timed. It was prepared by someone who hasn't really been in the thick of all of this stuff, so they didn't quite understand the implications. In light of everything, we have taken down the article. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. 

natashalost
#63Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:45pm

I feel very conflicted about this event. I didn't agree with most of what users were posting that was anti-Patti. However, there is a difference between being nasty and giving constructive criticism. A lot of what was on the Frozen Previews thread was nasty. This affected people like me who genuinely wanted to discuss the show on that thread because it eventually was deleted because of some users posts. Then, when I tried to start another thread, that one got deleted as well because of the posts on there. Now we have lost at least two longtime posters who were some of the most active members on here. Nobody won last night.

LxGstv
#64Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:48pm

natashalost said: "I feel very conflicted about this event. I didn't agree with most of what users were posting that was anti-Patti. However, there is a difference between being nasty and giving constructive criticism. A lot of what was on the Frozen Previews thread was nasty. This affected people like me who genuinely wanted to discuss the show on that thread because it eventually was deleted because of some users posts. Then, when I tried to start another thread, that one got deleted as well because of the posts on there. Now we have lost at least two longtime posters who were some of the most active members on here. Nobody won last night."

I’m pretty sure that one person at least is feeling pretty confident that they’d won right now.

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#65Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:55pm

I’t wasnt two posters. We lost at least 20 longtime posters and the frequent ones. Which is why the board is so dead today.

JSquared2
#66Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 4:56pm

natashalost said: " Now we have lost at least two longtime posters who were some of the most active members on here. Nobody won last night."

Oh, I don't know about that. Depends on who you ask.

Highlands Guy Profile Photo
Highlands Guy
#67Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:05pm

natashalost said: "Nobody won last night."

I don't know that it should be viewed as a contest; but those of us who advocate for civility, "won".  At least this time.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#68Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:08pm

Highlands Guy said: "natashalost said: "Nobody won last night."

I don't know that it should be viewed as a contest; but those of us who advocate for civility, "won". At least this time.
"

Preach! Saw some of the screenshots via Twitter--- truly shameful.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

natashalost
#69Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:12pm

Hey, while the moderator is taking questions-- Last night Alan Henry (one of the other mods) said he would continue to answer any of our questions through PM if we would like. I messaged him but received no response, which is understandable, so I will repeat my questions here. 

I just want to connect with other Frozen fans and share my love for this show on here but every time I do that the thread gets locked or removed altogether. I understand this is important in moderating the board and now that some of the users who were the ones who instigated these uncivil conversations have left the site this may no longer be a problem. However, I want to talk about scheduled absences and when understudies are on because I like to spread the love for understudies and I know others appreciate knowing who will be on for the performance they are seeing. How can I do this while avoiding the uncivil conversations that could provoke a moderator to lock a thread?

natashalost
#71Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:21pm

Alan Henry said: "Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - when DMs were down for an update we couldn't write back either."

Not a problem, I completely understand. Thank you! I'll start another thread soon.

Tom5
#72Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:23pm

A suggested song title in a maybe very good musical about the digital age: DEAR MODERATOR. After that, it almost writes itself.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#73Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:24pm

There's a difference between "constructive criticism" and just plain being nasty for the sake of it. I wasn't online here last night, but I saw some of the screenshotted posts on Twitter and had a sort of "disappointed, but not surprised" feeling, considering how this board is at times. I don't agree with deleting entire threads, but I am glad that the mods are taking action to make this place a friendlier atmosphere for theatre fans to discuss topics in, because I know quite a few people who avoid becoming active here due to how abrasive and rude they've seen some of the regular posters be.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

natashalost
#74Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:26pm

Elfuhbuh said: "...I don't agree with deleting entire threads, but I am glad that the mods are taking action to make this place a friendlier atmosphere for theatre fans to discuss topics in..."

100% agreed.

LxGstv
#75Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:28pm

Elfuhbuh said: "There's a difference between "constructive criticism" and just plain being nasty for the sake of it. I wasn't online here last night, but I saw some of the screenshotted posts on Twitter and had a sort of "disappointed, but not surprised" feeling, considering how this board is at times. I don't agree with deleting entire threads, but I am glad that the mods are taking action to make this place a friendlier atmosphere for theatre fans to discuss topics in, because I know quite a few people who avoid becoming active here due to how abrasive and rude they've seen some of the regular posters be. "

The problem for me is that they are selectively taking action. And the reasons behind such actions being taken.

Cynthia Erivo also had problems with the message boards, but it all got resolved without the drama of last night.