pixeltracker

"The Notebook" to become a musical

"The Notebook" to become a musical

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 10:12am

Ingrid Michaelson just announced on Hoca and Kathy that she has been writing the music for a year and couldn't talk about it. A writer from the tv show "This is Us" is doing the book. No more info except that they arelooking for a creative team.

Just give the world Love.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#2"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 11:44am

Been a long time Ingrid fan and this has the potential to be really good Cannot wait to see what happens!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
brdwybound04
#4"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 11:52am

Cant wait!!! One of the greatest books of all time finally musicalized on Broadway!!!! This cant open soon enough!!!

RWPrincess
#5"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 12:10pm

Interesting. 1st Nicholas Sparks book to hit the theater I think. I wonder how involved he will be.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 12:12pm

I'm certainly interested.  I just hope it's more interesting than Waitress.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#7"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 12:37pm

Nicholas Sparks’ The Notebook is headed to Broadway as a musical, with playwright and This Is Us supervising producer Bekah Brunstetter writing the book and “Girls Chase Boys” hit-maker Ingrid Michaelson handling music and lyrics.

“I am thrilled to work with Bekah and Ingrid in order to make The Notebook a reality on Broadway,” said author Sparks, whose 1996 book was turned into a 2004 film starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. “They are amazingly talented, and obviously, the story is near and dear to my heart.”

The announcement was made today by Kevin McCollum and Kurt Deutsch, who will produce in association with Sparks. McCollum’s producing credits include, among many others, In the Heights, Avenue Q, Rent and the current The Play That Goes Wrong and Mike Birbiglia’s The New One.

Deutsch is the founder of Sh-K-Boom & Ghostlight Records, a leading Broadway cast album imprint. Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight has won three Grammy Awards (The Book of Mormon, In the Heights and Beautiful – The Carole King Musical). Deutsch also is SVP of Theatrical and Catalog Development for Warner/Chappell Music Publishing.

Additional creative team members and a production timeline for The Notebookmusical will be announced at a later date.

“When I first heard about The Notebook potentially being turned into a musical, I was instantly drawn to the idea,” said Brunstetter, who’s play The Cake opens at the Manhattan Theatre Club this spring. “The story hits home for me in two big ways: it takes place in my home state of North Carolina, and Alzheimer’s runs deep in my family. I was sent a few songs Ingrid had already written for it, and that week, I spent my drives to and from work car-listening, memorizing, imagining the story unfold with music, imagining how I might layer worlds, dramatize memory, and before I even knew that I had to write the book for this, it was already starting to happen in my head.”

She continued: “The older you get, it seems, the more invisible you become, and yet, you have so much to say — so putting an older couple at the forefront of a musical is thrilling to me. I am so excited to continue collaborating with Ingrid on bringing this beautiful story to life in a new way.”

Michaelson, whose recordings include Platinum singles “Girls Chase Boys” and “The Way I Am,” said, “When I was approached about working on The Notebook I had to excuse myself and go to the bathroom and cry and come back into the meeting. I have loved the movie and the story for so many years now that the idea of turning it into a musical overwhelmed me.

“The concept of unending devotion and love wrapped up in memory and family is something very close to my own personal life. The story sings to me so perfectly. I actually started writing that very night of the first meeting, before I even had the job! I cannot wait for the world to hear these characters come to life in a musical way.”

Michaelson made her acting film debut in last year’s Humor Me, and she made her Broadway debut last summer as Sonya in Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812. She is also currently co-writing a script about her life for Hulu.

Producers McCollum and Deutsch issued a joint statement: “The creative process works best when the material finds the artist, and that’s exactly what happened with Nicholas Spark’s novel, The Notebook. From day one, Ingrid and Bekah have had a clear vision for the show, and even at this early stage, it has proven to be an exceptionally exciting and fruitful collaboration.”

Nick Cassavetes directed the 2004 film version (pictured above), which also starred James Garner and Gena Rowlands.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/broadway-the-notebook-musical-nicholas-sparks-bekah-brunstetter-ingrid-michaelson-1202528533/?fbclid=IwAR2HhhFCXu4FS6LGz_XGwS1qWjCfHND5YYOLUOxT6d396gx3g8SQ5iqxWBo

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#8"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 1:00pm

Creative team? Like a PA or dramaturg or songwriter's assistant?

Well I'll take the bullet.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#9"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 2:02pm

Yes Ingrid!!!! So excited for her! heart

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10"The Notebook" to become a musical
Posted: 1/3/19 at 2:12pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Creative team? Like a PA or dramaturg or songwriter's assistant?

Well I'll take the bullet.
"

She actually just said they werelooming for a director and other people. I just grouped it into creative team. Sorry.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Posted: 1/3/19 at 3:26pm

https://www.apnews.com/0baee72a51d74411b3eeb7010ddda78f

Update 2018

Updated On: 1/3/19 at 03:26 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Posted: 1/3/19 at 4:24pm

Ingrid writes beautiful music across genres. She rights longing and heartache exquisitely. I look forward to this. Her music and style fit The Notebook well.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bk
Posted: 1/3/19 at 7:44pm

nasty_khakis said: "Sparks deserves none of our money.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/10/03/353454197/book-news-nicholas-sparks-is-accused-of-racism-and-homophobia
"

Yeah, well rather than posting a four year old story, read the update posted in this very thread.  All those charges have been dismissed for lack of evidence.  Funny how that works.

natashalost
Posted: 1/3/19 at 10:52pm

I am so thrilled!!! Ingrid is the perfect choice for this project, and Ive being dying to see her write a musical. Cant wait!

theaterlyfe19
Posted: 1/4/19 at 4:55am

But who would you cast??

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
Posted: 1/4/19 at 9:43am

theaterlyfe19 said: "But who would you cast??"

Laura Osnes as Allie

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
Posted: 1/4/19 at 12:21pm

Blockhead24 said: "theaterlyfe19 said: "But who would you cast??"

Laura Osnes as Allie
"

Okay, cool. I wasn’t the only person who thought of this. 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
Posted: 1/4/19 at 12:26pm

Sorry double post. But, I just went on Twitter and looks like Laura thinks this too. LOL

https://twitter.com/lauraosnes/status/1081052537439117312?s=21

curel1
Posted: 6/13/19 at 11:23am

Casting for the reading!

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/196152/vanessa-hudgens-hailey-kilgore-more-to-lead-reading-of-ingrid-michaelsons-the-notebook-musical-with-powerhouse-theater/

Man, shows love doing 3 versions of the same character

nasty_khakis
Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
Posted: 6/13/19 at 10:12pm

Three actors for each of the leads? But..... why? Two I understand since you have and older and a younger version but... do you REALLY need to break the flashback versions into 2 (4 if you count both) actors? And it's not like the time different between "young" and "middle" is much at ALL. Do writers forget that there ARE actors out there that ARE capable of playing a wide age range in one performance?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Posted: 6/14/19 at 10:09am

I was confused by the younger/middle division, too. Sure, Kilgore and Hudgens are 20 and 30, respectively, but easily look like contemporaries. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

VintageSnarker
Posted: 6/14/19 at 10:52am

It's been a really long time since I've seen The Notebook. Maybe the youngest of the three is supposed to play younger like child-teenager range and not 20-something? Regardless, if Carmen Cusack can play a teenage and middle-aged version of her character in Bright Star, then it feels like it's only necessary to split the roles twice, not three times. Unless they have to sing on top of each other (e.g. something like "I Know It's Today" from Shrek) how vocally demanding could this score be to need 3 actors for one character?

Also, yeah, Sparks is trash and if Ingrid wasn't involved I would not care about this at all.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Posted: 6/14/19 at 10:58am

So Fun Home and The Cher Show, but for the straights?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.