Rogerdellibovi
#50Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/20/19 at 7:23pm

The Picture of Dorian Gray musical

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#51Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 12:21am

Completely agreed on EYES OF THE DRAGON. What an underrated book!! I learned there actually was a stage version of it at La Ruche Théatre, Marcinelle, Belgium in 2009 a while back so it's possible we could see it again.

My lists includes SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK, THE MOLE PEOPLE (the book by Jennifer Toth), PLAYING DEAD (the book by Elizabeth Greenwood), RUNNING WITH SCISSORS (the book though--the movie strayed too far and was not good IMO), RETURN TO OZ, HAMLET 2 (but just the play version of HAMLET 2, not the full movie) among others.

AEA AGMA SM
#52Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 12:27am

For those brining up The Eyes of the Dragon, it was recently announced that Hulu has made a deal to develop it as a series.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/stephen-king-eyes-of-the-dragon-hulu-fox21-game-of-thrones-seth-grahame-smith-1202601500/

Alice147
#53Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 7:30am

HamilHansen said: "Alice147 said: "twinklingstar said: "I've been wanting to see Neil Gaiman's novel "The Graveyard Book" adapted into a musical for years. It's just so fun and perfect."

That would be amazing! I love Neil Gaiman, and with so much of his work being adapted for film (Stardust, Coraline) and television (American Gods, Good Omens - which I can't wait for), a theatre project would be a really interesting move. The Graveyard Book is a perfect choice, I agree.
"

Let me be the one to third this! In the hands of a skilled composer (this would be interesting work for Tim Minchin) and director, and get Neil Gaiman involved in the process,it could be magical.
"

Tim Minchin's an interesting choice for composer! I really want this to happen now...

magictodo123
#54Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 7:42am

Adaptations of a book by Jodi Piccoult. ...anyone else? Just me? 

VivianDarkbloom2 Profile Photo
VivianDarkbloom2
#55Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 8:36am

Count me in for Return to Oz and Eyes of the Dragon. Too bad Jan Maxwell is no longer with us, she’d be an amazing Nurse Wilson/Mombi for Return to Oz. (Probably won’t ever be a musical at all, but I can dream!) speaking of the Lost Disney Movies Time Forgot, someone did a regional “Something Wicked This Way Comes” musical a few years back. I wish that would come to NY.

Another day, another dollar is the reality of my mentality. Otherwise, don't even bother.- TLC

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#56Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 9:53am

Three suggestions I like a lot (one with a "never again" caveat):

darquegk's suggestion for Calrissa - definitely NOT exactly the same, but similar to shows like Matilda  (which I still believe was a more worthy, and more original musical that should have won Best Musical) and Next to Normal. I love frothy, fun musicals, but my preference is for musicals that engage me on more than one level.

WhizzerMarvin's suggestion for A Confederacy of Dunces - I also am a HUGE fan of the book, and those characters... wow... those characters! What an incredible cast of actors it would require to condense all that richness into the timeframe of a musical. (I'm also still anticipating a movie version.)

Charley Kringas Inc's suggestion for Woody Allen's Alice - I think that quite a few of Allen's movies would make fantastic musicals. The one I thought would most likely be successful was Bullets Over Broadway. The problem (for me) is that Allen seems unwilling to trust anyone to write an original score. His insistence on using music from the period in BOB really killed what could have been an excellent musical (IMO). Using Allen's movies as source material for a new musical is my "never again" caveat. sad

PS: It's nice to see the frequency of Minchin's name appear in these posts. laugh

Updated On: 5/21/19 at 09:53 AM

MadAboutTheBoy Profile Photo
MadAboutTheBoy
#57Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 10:58am

Quite a few suggestions on here I hadn't thought of before but now would love to see! (I second Moonstruck, Babette's Feast, She Devil, Miss Congeniality, Hocus Pocus, and Dorian Gray (although there's not much of a plot there).

I would add the following:

•  "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day"
  • A musical version of "Prelude to a Kiss"

Alice147
#58Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 11:17am

MadAboutTheBoy said: "Quite a few suggestions on here I hadn't thought of before but now would love to see! (I second Moonstruck, Babette's Feast, She Devil, Miss Congeniality, Hocus Pocus, and Dorian Gray (although there's not much of a plot there).

I would add the following:

• "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day"
  • A musical version of "Prelude to a Kiss"

"

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is a good one! I enjoyed the book and can see it translating well for stage. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#59Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 11:34am

Having seen an early showing of Rocketman....... ROCKETMAN. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#60Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 11:58am

I'm... glad? that so many people agree with the potential of "Clarissa." I think it could make an incredible, moving, twisted show, but definitely not one that would be fun to watch. I have zero history of sexual or parental trauma, but the comic still made me uneasy on a gut level. Which means it did its job, but still. Chuck Palahniuk has a monologue in one of his books about being "raped in the ear," being traumatized by the possibility and the accounts of rape until you are unable to look at people who have not harmed you without seeing the potential for harm there. "Clarissa" had that effect on me for a day or two after reading it.

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#61Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 11:58am

AEA AGMA SM said: "For those brining upThe Eyes of the Dragon, it was recently announced that Hulu has made a deal to develop it as a series.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/stephen-king-eyes-of-the-dragon-hulu-fox21-game-of-thrones-seth-grahame-smith-1202601500/
"

Omg this is beyond exciting.

I'd also love to see a musical using the music of Best Coast. She's so underrated.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#62Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 12:07pm

Rogerdellibovi said: "The Picture of Dorian Gray musical"

Yes please.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

MadAboutTheBoy
#63Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 5/21/19 at 3:52pm

Just thought of another one: A musical version of Steve Martin's movie "Roxanne" (which itself is an adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac).

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#64Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 1/5/20 at 8:15pm

Hustlers Broadway Adaptation in The Works

So I am 10000000% here for this

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#65Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 1/5/20 at 8:24pm

An adaptation of E. M. Forster's Maurice.

MadAboutTheBoy
#66Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 1/6/20 at 6:14pm

1. A musical adaptation of the Coen Brothers' film "The Hudsucker Proxy."

Updated On: 1/6/20 at 06:14 PM

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#67Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 1/6/20 at 7:41pm

markypoo said: "An adaptation of E. M. Forster's Maurice."

I didn't know I needed this until now. What an excellent idea. It would have been perfect material for Sondheim in particular.

Perchance-2-Dream Profile Photo
Perchance-2-Dream
#68Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 1/7/20 at 9:17am

This is going to sound so silly, but I would love to see a play adapted from Nina George's 'The Little Paris Bookshop.' Yes, the title sounds super saccharine, but it's such a charming story with wonderful characters. I could see it as a feel-good play. Here's the link to the synopsis for those curious! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23278537-the-little-paris-bookshop

"We're actors, we're the opposite of people!" - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#69Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 1/7/20 at 9:25am

Personally, I would love a musical version of the play, "Picnic". I know about "Hot Septemeber", but that missed the mark.

Also, the movie "The Holiday" with Kate Winslet, Jack Black, Jude Law, and Cameron Diaz I think could make for a cute little show. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#70Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 3/30/20 at 2:54pm

Tiger King - The Musical 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 3/30/20 at 02:54 PM

Andres_Zayas Profile Photo
Andres_Zayas
#71Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 3/30/20 at 3:21pm

Knives Out or Booksmart

C.Jack
#72Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 3/30/20 at 6:11pm

Bulgakov’s “The Master and Margarita” The Musical. Could totally see a Great Comet or even Pippin revival style show.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#73Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 3/30/20 at 6:51pm

Totally off the wall...

I want a short-run concert version of Side Show starring Justin Timberlake and Justin Guarini.

Adaptations You Would Like To See?Adaptations You Would Like To See?

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#74Adaptations You Would Like To See?
Posted: 3/30/20 at 8:51pm

Portrait of a Lady on Fire and JoJo Rabbit would both make great musicals.