pixeltracker

Kinky Boots White-Washing- Page 2

Kinky Boots White-Washing

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 5:17pm

I just find it odd that you pull these isolated incidents and make broad conclusions but yassss you go queen. Put that cesspit of a country in its place and go and teach them how to do it in ‘Merica by voting for the Republican Party and Trump. Or the UK voting for brexit. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/11/19 at 05:17 PM

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#26Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 5:28pm

Totally.

"The term White Australia policy was widely used to encapsulate a set of historical policies that aimed to exclude people of non-European origin, especially Asians (primarily Chinese) and Pacific Islanders (primarily Melanesians) from immigrating to Australia."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/opinion/living-with-racism-in-australia.html

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 5:34pm

As a commonwealth country Australia has its own terrible racist past, like Britain literally stealing the entire country off the indigenous population. Or those policies from literally generations ago. And it still has its issues. But change come fast. And change come slow. But change come. And now Australia is one of the least racist and one of the most progressive nations on earth. With a vibrant, diverse multicultural population. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/11/19 at 05:34 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#28Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 5:54pm

"CLOC has a long standing 'blind casting' policy for all roles in our shows from leads to ensemble. ". Some shows have to be cast a certain color. Hairspray with a white motormouth Maybelle, or a black Velma or Tracy? That no work.

Darreyl with an L!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#29Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 5:59pm

I think Lola should dress up like a cat. As a matter of fact, they should all dress up like cats. Wait. That’s already been done, hasn’t it. Never mind.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#30Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 6:23pm

Having never seen cocoa butter before, i did a google image search, and ironically, it is the same colour as a typical white person's skin tone.  The plot thickens.

https://www.amazon.com/PRIME-PURE-Cocoa-Butter-Fresh/dp/B008KPO2MY

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#31Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 6:32pm

Cocoa butter is a product typically used by many black people. That line is not referring to the color of the product itself. “Black” and “ebony” does refer to the color of Lola’s skin, though. So, at least in the English-language version of Kinky Boots, it is written as a black character. As of now, there are no alternate lyrics.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#32Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 7:07pm

"Australia is one of the least racist and one of the most progressive nations on earth. "

I laughed for five straight minutes. Thank you! 

https://alltogethernow.org.au/racism-in-australia/

Claire8 Profile Photo
Claire8
#33Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 8:26pm

I’m Australian and yes, there is plenty of racism in Australia.

adam.peterson44
#34Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 10:55pm

Thanks, HeyMrMusic, for that clarification!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 11:18pm

Racism is everywhere.

Did the creatives sign off on this?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#36Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/11/19 at 11:50pm

Ooh, did this thread contain my first post deleted by the mods?! So much for them telling you when they do it, heh. I never thought that happened... oh well. Kinky Boots White-Washing

Impossible2
#37Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 12:17am

I'm Australian as well and agree it is a very racist country.

Not anywhere near as bad as America, but still very bad.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#38Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 12:36am

The ignorant poster has now said "The most successful multicultural country in the world" THREE TIMES. It's like Trump repeating over and over and over again "My inauguration had millions and millions of people and it was the biggest turnout in historyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!".

And blackface?

In Australia, of course, it is perfectly acceptable, and we thank the nation for yet another important contribution to the annals of human culture!

Actual trash. 

Impossible2
#39Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 1:22am

EllieRose2 said: "The ignorant poster has nowsaid "The most successful multicultural country in the world" THREE TIMES. It's like Trump repeating over and over and over again "My inauguration had millions and millions of people and it was the biggest turnout in historyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!".

And blackface?

In Australia, of course, it is perfectly acceptable, and we thank the nation for yet another important contribution to the annals of human culture!

Actual trash.
"

Actually blackface is not acceptable in Australia. I seem to remember a big drama a few years ago about it, though I don't remember the actual details. 

I would say that it is trying to get better. I think the really bad racism is more within the poorer areas. The problem is the immigrant communities have always been very 'ghettoed' there which has created a lot of the tensions in and around those areas.

As with a America it's a much more complicated situation than just saying that everyone is a racist.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:16am

EllieRose2 said: "The ignorant poster has nowsaid "The most successful multicultural country in the world" THREE TIMES. It's like Trump repeating over and over and over again "My inauguration had millions and millions of people and it was the biggest turnout in historyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!".

And blackface?

Actual trash.
"

What you are saying is just not true. If Australia is racist then every country is racist. There is nothing particularly unusual - especially because generally it’s the complete opposite. I just think of the major cities and can’t help but to laugh at how absurd your claims are. Did you get racially abused in Australia or something? Or have an Australian boyfriend dump you? You seem so bitter. Sorry you don’t seem to like the best country in the world. 

Updated On: 4/12/19 at 02:16 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#41Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:20am

haterobics said: "Ooh, didthis thread contain myfirst post deleted by the mods?! So much for them telling you when they do it, heh. I never thought that happened... oh well. Kinky Boots White-Washing"

They did, and my hilarious response to it. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#42Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:21am

God this thread is hilarious. Thank you to all of the wokebots and pot stirrers involved, for giving me a much-needed laugh tonight.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#43Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:26am

Thank YOU Claire8 and Impossible2 for being honest about Australia being racist, people who are based in reality are so much better than the loons. <3

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#44Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:36am

EllieRose2 said: "Thank YOU Claire8 and Impossible2 for being honest about Australia being racist, people who are based in reality are so much better than the loons. <3"

Quick tip: If you are choosing to involve yourself in a debate, calling the other side names immediately cheapens your argument, and will make outside observers such as myself think you are resorting to name-calling because you don't have any further arguments.

I'm not involved with this debate, just thought I would throw that out there.

adam.peterson44
#45Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:43am

qolbinau said: " Australia is the most successful multicultural country on earth..."

qobinau, what metric are you using when you say most successful multicultural country?  How are you quantifying success in that assessment?  Very curious.

Impossible2
#46Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 2:54am

qolbinau said: "EllieRose2 said: "The ignorant poster has nowsaid "The most successful multicultural country in the world" THREE TIMES. It's like Trump repeating over and over and over again "My inauguration had millions and millions of people and it was the biggest turnout in historyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!".

And blackface?

Actual trash.
"

What you are saying is just not true. If Australia is racist then every country is racist. There is nothing particularly unusual - especially because generally it’s the complete opposite. I just think of the major cities and can’t help but to laugh at how absurd your claims are.Did you get racially abused in Australia or something? Or have an Australian boyfriend dump you? You seem so bitter. Sorry you don’t seem to like the best country in the world.
"

Every country DOES has racism and Australia is not the Utopia you are trying to paint it as.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#47Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 3:13am

adam.peterson44 said: "qolbinau said: " Australia is the most successful multicultural country on earth..."

qobinau, what metric are you using when you say most successful multicultural country? How are you quantifying success in that assessment? Very curious.
"

So my claim would be based on 1. Ethnic demographic makeup & immigration history of Sydney (especially), and Melbourne (secondary) - it seems like many people think Australia is a country full of white faces, but if you go to Sydney you will find it's actually the complete opposite. That's what so absurd about that earlier poster's quotation of the 'white Australia policy' because it does not reflect reality today. 2. The strong, strong influence that asian cultures have had on Sydney culture - there is no place outside of Asia where you can get such authentic asian culture, and it's not just isolated to small so-called 'China towns' like many other countries but mainstream 3. Public-elected policies that have and continue to facilitate immigration, as well as policies that do not disadvantage minorities.

If you are an Asian person, and you have the choice between Sydney, London or New York City - there is no question which is the least racist option. It's Sydney. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but honestly go and work in the City of Sydney in a professional environment and look around. Go to Chatswood or Eastwood. I think EllieRose2 would realise the absurdity of her claims if she did this.

"Every country DOES has racism and Australia is not the Utopia you are trying to paint it as."

Yes but my point is it does not make make sense to call out Australia in particular as having a problem. Although it is indeed the closest country to a utopia I have ever seen or lived in. People that live there might not realise how good they have it. 

Updated On: 4/12/19 at 03:13 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 3:15am

qolbinau said: "They did, and my hilarious response to it."

Aww, I missed it! Kinky Boots White-Washing

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#49Kinky Boots White-Washing
Posted: 4/12/19 at 11:58am

Australia is probably the most racist English speaking country on earth. However in saying that I have no doubt their options were limited when casting Lola. I’ve been involved in plenty of productions in Australia and the majority of the cast were white. One of my friends was in the Australian production of THE COLOR PURPLE and some of the actors were of Maori and Middle Eastern decent because there wasn’t enough actors in the initial auditions to make up an entirely black cast.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Videos