logan2
#25Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/21/19 at 10:56pm

The last person I would think of to portray Katharine Hepburn is Roseanne Barr

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/21/19 at 11:33pm

The last person I would think of would be Gary Coleman.

Alex Kulak2
#27Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 9:00am

Has Matthew Lombardo ever had a hit? All of his Broadway shows have tanked, how does he keep getting work?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#28Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 10:25am

Alex Kulak2 said: "Has Matthew Lombardo ever had a hit? All of his Broadway shows have tanked, how does he keep getting work?"

Ask Jason Robert Brown.

TotallyEffed
#29Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 10:27am

(No shade to JRB, just pointing out that a lack of hits doesn’t necessarily mean that a writer’s work won’t continue to be produced)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Alex Kulak2
#31Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 10:51am

TotallyEffed said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Has Matthew Lombardo ever had a hit? All of his Broadway shows have tanked, how does he keep getting work?"

Ask Jason Robert Brown.
"

JRB at least gets critical praise. From what I found, Lombardo's work doesn't get that well received either.

TotallyEffed
#32Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 11:07am

Maybe a better example would have been Frank Wildhorn, though from what I understand he has a lot of success internationally.

The draw here is obviously Faye Dunaway. I just wonder how this short tryout will go and if it has a chance of coming to New York. I would truly love to see her on stage, in any play.

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#33Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 8:33pm

Faye's onstage RIGHT NOW as Kate!

I'm on tenterhooks and tenderhooks (haha)! Fingers crossed!

Updated On: 6/22/19 at 08:33 PM

BrodyFosse123
#34Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 9:23pm

Here is a balcony photo of Dunaway on stage and the TEA AT FIVE set:

https://www.instagram.com/p/By8yMaFBAvC/?igshid=f44z733s6tgg

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#35Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 10:57pm

The tagline for the show is "One Legend Becomes Another." I honestly ask this-is Faye Dunaway a legend? I'm a fan of her work but does she qualify for legend status. She seems to have peaked in the 70s with some stellar film work. Isn't she just a remarkable actress that had a series successful films in the 70s.

She never really seemed to do much of note in the later years of her career aside from an occasional well-received part like in "Barfly." It seems like Mommie Dearest marked the time it became clear she had no sense of humor and her antics cost her work. I can't see an actress who peaked in the 70s being much of a box office draw. It's asking a lot. 

I think of prolific actress around her age like Linda Lavin and Judith Light, who work steadily, are known for being salt of the earth and keep being sought for high profile work. They seem sharp because they are constantly working both in low profile and high profile projects. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 11:01pm

I’m seeing this in a few days and I’m so beyond excited.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#37Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/22/19 at 11:28pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m seeing this in a few days and I’m so beyond excited."

can you elaborate? (on the excitement part.)

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#38Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 1:35am

First Bettyboy72 says Faye's too old to play Hepburn and badly miscast. Then questions why the playwright would even bother revising the play and mount it after the Mulgrew version, now Bettyboy72 is quibbling with the terminology on the poster.

We get it. You're not a big Dunaway fan and you have no interest in seeing this production - negative Nancy! haha

In the last 20 years every time Faye is referenced or introduced, the most recent being the Lester Holt interview after the Oscars and her New Year's appearance on CNN she's called legendary actress Faye Dunaway. Legend of the theater? No. Hollywood legend? Yes.

TotallyEffed
#39Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 3:47am

I can’t imagine questioning Faye Dunaway’s legendary status.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#40Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 7:09am

You can achieve Legend status for many reasons. Is Dunaway a Legend? Absolutely. Is she the same sort of Legend as Hepburn? Absolutely not.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 8:18am

This illuminates that we use terms like "legendary," "unique," "iconic," "classic" (to pick a few with great currency here) too casually, imprecisely, and in a fashion that ultimately depreciates their meaning. "Legend" connotes extreme fame, and like all of these words, I think using the label out of some historical context is wrong. 

There is no such thing as "Legend status" as if there were a rulebook as for the Tonys or Oscars. 

And let's not even discuss "epic," a word in vogue as a joke on itself. 

ETA: This is not intended to comment substantively on Dunaway.

Updated On: 6/23/19 at 08:18 AM

BrodyFosse123
#42Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 8:28am

Can we being this back to TEA AT FIVE?!

Anyone read or heard anything about last night’s first preview?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#43Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 9:50am

logan2 said: "First Bettyboy72 says Faye's too old to play Hepburn and badly miscast. Then questions why the playwright would even bother revisingthe play and mount it after the Mulgrew version, now Bettyboy72 is quibbling with the terminology on the poster.

We get it. You're not a big Dunaway fan and you have no interest in seeing this production - negative Nancy! haha

In the last 20 years every time Faye is referenced orintroduced, the mostrecent being the Lester Holt interview after the Oscars and her New Year's appearance on CNN she's calledlegendary actress Faye Dunaway. Legend of the theater? No. Hollywood legend? Yes.
"

Actually I am a Dunaway fan and I loved the play with Mulgrew but just trying to make sense of this. None of it makes sense. But it’s not my money on the line, so I’ll just keep my mouth shut. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#44Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 10:52am

Since we don't seem to be discussing what was actually put on stage, can we discuss the artwork? To me it:

(a) does not look like Hepburn.

(b) does not look like Dunaway.

(c) suggests maybe Jarmusch should've cast her in his new film (which is excellent btw).

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#45Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 12:56pm

I went to the ticketing website and it appears that the "choose your own seats" option is not working. Is it working for anyone else? 

https://www.bostontheatrescene.com/season/tea-at-five/

TotallyEffed
#46Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 1:40pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and "

I didn’t realize this was the actual art they are using on the website. It is absolutely TERRIFYING!!!!!

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#47Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 1:50pm

who went to the show? how was it?

Candice Malkin
#48Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 6:39pm

I saw it last night. I was in the front row. It said the show was 90 minutes but it was actually only 75 minutes. Faye Dunaway obviously had ear phones on her ears to help her with the lines. She stumbled across much of the dialogue. I was excited to see the show beforehand but was extremely disappointed. I would be absolutely shocked if it makes it to broadway. The lady next to me is a major Faye Dunaway fan and she loved it. Different strokes....

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#49Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/23/19 at 7:12pm

I am feeling a little sad for her now.