pixeltracker

Does the box office know about understudy appearances- Page 2

Does the box office know about understudy appearances

VintageSnarker
#25Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/24/19 at 5:46pm

I can't recall ever asking a box office attendant if a performer would be in a show that night.

I know it's always a gamble. Some gambles are worth it. Some are not. Lottery ticket to Aladdin? I got lucky that no one was out but I would have been happy just to see the show. The night I paid for a full price ticket and made it through a downpour to Waitress only to sprain my ankle? Yeah, I would have been heartbroken if Jeremy and Shoshana had been out. 

I do think that if producers want to keep raising ticket prices and creating buzz around casting then at the very least people should be allowed to be upset about not seeing the performers they expected to see. 

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#26Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/24/19 at 6:24pm

Absolutely! Have you seen the ticket prices for Moulin Rouge?  I am paying to see Karen, Aaron, and Danny. No understudies! That is my choice as a ticket buyer, however unpopular that choice may be.  

openstage2
#27Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/24/19 at 6:32pm

Sorry your taking such abuse from my honest question.
I know there are no guarantees, other than perhaps the first month of a run.

Perhaps I should have added to my initial question that we have someone who is driving 10 hours just to try and see the Original Broadway cast. They are not just strolling into the city for the night and saying “So what should we see this week?”

magictodo123
#28Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/24/19 at 6:33pm

Pose2 said: "Absolutely! Have you seen the ticket prices for Moulin Rouge? I am paying to see Karen, Aaron, and Danny. No understudies! That is my choice as a ticket buyer, however unpopular that choice may be."

I’m sorry but holy smokes are the ticket prices INSANE for Moulin Rouge! . Im never seeing that show-but would anyone recommend the movie? 

Updated On: 6/24/19 at 06:33 PM

alex814
#29Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/24/19 at 10:33pm

OP: Many years ago I called the box office and they were able to tell me that the full cast of Wicked had performed for the matinee so that the likelihood of everyone being on the evening show was good.

I don’t know why younger me did that but I did.

Fosse76
#30Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 1:14am

Unless it is an above-the-title star with a scheduled absence, the box office is not informed of cast absences. However, it's possible that a box office attendant may know, simply as a result of working at the theater and receiving that information informally through conversation with production staff or the actors themselves.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#31Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 8:33am

VintageSnarker said: "I do think that if producers want to keep raising ticket prices and creating buzz around casting then at the very least people should be allowed to be upset about not seeing the performers they expected to see."

Agreed.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#32Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 8:44am

I mean...a lot of the time, ticket prices will be inflated considerably whenever there’s a big name attached to the show. In these cases, many (if not most) audience members are shelling out boatloads of cash to see that big name, and it would be understandable for them to be disappointed and seek a refund/exchange if the lead actor had to call out that day. I respect understudies and am always interested in seeing their takes on their roles whenever I’m seeing something like, say, Phantom or Les Mis, but if I were to fork over a lot of my savings to see Hugh Jackman in The Music Man, then I would probably be inclined to want to know if he’d be out the day I’m trying to see the show. I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule for what audience members’ reactions to actors being out “should” be, because it really varies from show to show.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#33Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 8:49am

Maybe I don’t look close enough, but itd just be great if they could put a disclaimer when buying tickets along the line of “Perofrmers may be absent at anytime due to illness, family emergencies, or other person matters. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience” just so people know that the 1 show they see out of 8 this week isn’t the only show they’re doing. Again, I’m not saying people shouldn’t be disappointed if they don’t see the performer they want, but to think it couldn’t happen just isn’t super realistic sadly. It’s inherently part of live theatre.

magictodo123
#34Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:10am

Elfuhbuh said: "I mean...a lot of the time, ticket prices will be inflated considerably whenever there’s a big name attached to the show. In these cases, many (if not most) audience members are shelling out boatloads of cash to see that big name, and it would be understandable for them to be disappointed and seek a refund/exchange if the lead actor had to call out that day. I respect understudies and am always interested in seeing their takes on their roles whenever I’m seeing something like, say, Phantom or Les Mis, but if I were to fork over a lot of my savings to see Hugh Jackman in The Music Man, then I would probably be inclined to want to know if he’d be out the day I’m trying to see the show. I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule for what audience members’ reactions to actors being out “should” be, because it really varies from show to show."

You're completely right. It's like when  Bette was in Hello Dolly! and people in front of me didn't realize they were there on a day when Donna Murphy was playing Dolly. One of them was extremely upset (which is completely understandable) I'm guessing because of how much they paid for their tickets. Again, understandable. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:14am

magictodo123 said: "It's like when Bette was in Hello Dolly! and people in front of me didn't realize they were there on a day when Donna Murphy was playing Dolly. One of them was extremely upset (which is completely understandable) I'm guessing because of how much they paid for their tickets. Again, understandable."

That's kind of on them, though. I mean, the website put up a "Dolly will be played by Donna Murphy at this performance" above the seating chart when you bought tickets, outside the theater there were signs saying the same. If you didn't sort that out until she appeared, or didn't understand that is WHY you were able to get decent seats, I'm not sure what else could be done...

magictodo123
#36Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:15am

The ONLY thing I'd say about if you're planning on calling in the box office to ask about certain performers is that things happen. An emergency could come up and someone who was in during a matinee on a two show day could be out the evening show. I'd say don't rely on them to know who's in and who's out. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#37Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:18am

magictodo123 said: "Elfuhbuh said: "I mean...a lot of the time, ticket prices will be inflated considerably whenever there’s a big name attached to the show. In these cases, many (if not most) audience members are shelling out boatloads of cash to see that big name, and it would be understandable for them to be disappointed and seek a refund/exchange if the lead actor had to call out that day. I respect understudies and am always interested in seeing their takes on their roles whenever I’m seeing something like, say, Phantom or Les Mis, but if I were to fork over a lot of my savings to see Hugh Jackman in The Music Man, then I would probably be inclined to want to know if he’d be out the day I’m trying to see the show. I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule for what audience members’ reactions to actors being out “should” be, because it really varies from show to show."

You're completely right. It's like when Bette was in Hello Dolly! and people in front of me didn't realize they were there on a day when Donna Murphy was playing Dolly. One of them was extremely upset (which is completely understandable) I'm guessing because of how much they paid for their tickets. Again, understandable.
"

This is not a good comparison. Donna was Bette's alternate, not an understudy, and her schedule was clearly posted from the day tickets went on sale. Anyone who bought expecting to see Bette only had themselves to blame. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:19am

alex814 said: "OP: Many years ago I called the box office and they were able to tell me that the full cast of Wicked had performed for the matinee so that the likelihood of everyone being on the evening show was good."

This story is not easy to replicate, since it is not very easy to find the number that even gets you through to the box office. And, assuming you found that, you'd have to reach someone there who actually knew that no one called out of the matinee. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:23am

I think you are making up a big problem that doesn't really exist beyond grumbling. (Aside from a big name) It is very seldom that more than a handful of people actively have a problem with understudies...besides whining about it.

People ARE permitted to be disappointed to see an understudy.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

magictodo123
#40Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:27am

CT2NYC said: "magictodo123 said: "Elfuhbuh said: "I mean...a lot of the time, ticket prices will be inflated considerably whenever there’s a big name attached to the show. In these cases, many (if not most) audience members are shelling out boatloads of cash to see that big name, and it would be understandable for them to be disappointed and seek a refund/exchange if the lead actor had to call out that day. I respect understudies and am always interested in seeing their takes on their roles whenever I’m seeing something like, say, Phantom or Les Mis, but if I were to fork over a lot of my savings to see Hugh Jackman in The Music Man, then I would probably be inclined to want to know if he’d be out the day I’m trying to see the show. I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule for what audience members’ reactions to actors being out “should” be, because it really varies from show to show."

You're completely right. It's like when Bette was in Hello Dolly! and people in front of me didn't realize they were there on a day when Donna Murphy was playing Dolly. One of them was extremely upset (which is completely understandable) I'm guessing because of how much they paid for their tickets. Again, understandable.
"

This is not a good comparison. Donna was Bette's alternate, not an understudy, and her schedule was clearly posted from the day tickets went on sale. Anyone who bought expecting to see Bette only had themselves to blame.
"

Yeah see that's what I don't understand. The thing is, whenever there's a situation like that, it clearly says on ticket websites the days that alternates will be performing. I know for My Fair Lady, it clearly says the days where Kerstin Anderson will be in and not Laura Benanti. I THINK for Shuffle Along it also stated clearly when Audra would be out. I'm fairly certain that on Telecharge it clearly says on the ticket site when actors will be out if there's some sort of alternate schedule arranged when tickets go on sale. Unless you don't read anything on the site and ignore articles about the show that announce any type of cast schedule changes, how would you not be aware? Are people just looking for things to be mad about? **Sorry, I should have been clear that it was on a day that was clearly a Donna Murphy performance day. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#41Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:29am

To go back to the original question: the box office only knows about any understudy as soon as the information is given to them. Unless an actor has a scheduled vacation which the box office is made privy to, an understudy performance could be known an hour or even less prior to their performance. On many occasions, an actor performed a matinee but didn’t feel good enough to perform the evening show so they put in their notice after the matinee giving box office enough time to have that info. Unless a performer has been sick and out for days, the box office wouldn’t know if any actor will be out. Linda Mugleston didn’t know she was understudying Bette Midler on that Wednesday matinee until an hour prior. Midler was even at the theatre when she realized she wasn’t up to performing. Bette did perform the evening show.  If someone bought tickets for that Wednesday matinee that morning, the box office didn’t know Bette would be out that matinee performance until an hour prior to curtain.   

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#42Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:36am

magictodo123 said: "I'm fairly certain that on Telecharge it clearly says on the ticket site when actors will be out if there's some sort of alternate schedule arranged when tickets go on sale."

While this may be true for some shows, it's not always the case. For example, the Phantom page on Telecharge simply states, "Eryn LeCroy appears for Ms. Vorhees at certain performances." The role of Christine is cast with a primary (currently Ms. Vorhees) and an alternate (currently Ms. LeCroy), and the alternate appears in two shows per week, but Telecharge does not specify which actress appears in which shows.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#43Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:38am

magictodo123 said: "Unless you don't read anything on the site and ignore articles about the show that announce any type of cast schedule changes, how would you not be aware? Are people just looking for things to be mad about? **Sorry, I should have been clear that it was on a day that was clearly a Donna Murphy performance day."

Yes, when ignorant, uninformed, and entitled people are faced with not getting what they want, they're generally the loudest and first to complain.

magictodo123
#44Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 9:49am

Lot666 said: "magictodo123 said: "I'm fairly certain that on Telecharge it clearly says on the ticket site when actors will be out if there's some sort of alternate schedule arranged when tickets go on sale."

While this may be true for some shows, it's not always the case. For example, the Phantom page on Telecharge simply states, "Eryn LeCroy appearsfor Ms. Vorhees at certain performances."The role of Christine is cast with a primary (currently Ms. Vorhees) and analternate(currently Ms. LeCroy), and the alternate appears in two shows per week, but Telecharge does not specify which actress appears in which shows.
"

Very good point. I forgot about that. Isn't the only distinction like that in the Playbill? 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#45Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 10:12am

magictodo123 said: "Lot666 said: "magictodo123 said: "I'm fairly certain that on Telecharge it clearly says on the ticket site when actors will be out if there's some sort of alternate schedule arranged when tickets go on sale."

While this may be true for some shows, it's not always the case. For example, the Phantom page on Telecharge simply states, "Eryn LeCroy appearsfor Ms. Vorhees at certain performances."The role of Christine is cast with a primary (currently Ms. Vorhees) and analternate(currently Ms. LeCroy), and the alternate appears in two shows per week, but Telecharge does not specify which actress appears in which shows.
"

Very good point. I forgot about that. Isn't the only distinction like that in the Playbill?
"

I don't know about other shows, but the Playbill for Phantom specifies who will play each role during the current week.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#46Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 11:11am

Phantom can be VERY specific when it comes to weekly changes. Some shows just hope you notice the slips that probably fell out.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#47Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 12:59pm

Also, EVERY theatre has a cast board in the lobby with the name of each member of the cast for the performance about to take place.  It lists separately an understudy and the role they will be playing at that performance.   They also include the name of the conductor/musical director at that performance (if it’s a musical).  

This board is updated prior to each performance.  

broadwayguy2
#48Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 8:32pm

Wow.

NOT rereading this entire thing, but I certainly read enough.

Yes, feel free to experience a little disappointment when you were hoping to see someone, but let's go through this.

Theatre is a LIVE art form. It falls prey to the human body and the world. Things will always happen. The disclaimer that a listed performer may not appears is listed in MANY places throughout the process, even if it is not held within one's common sense. The program also specifies that no understudy will substitute for a listed actor unless an announcement is made at the time of the performance.

When star names are involved, especially, information is made available to the box office and outlets for SCHEDULED absences, but again, things happen and it is not possible to anticipate every time an actor will be out.

Additionally, the box office staff and ticket outlets are not a part of the PRODUCTION. They come with the venue or outside contracts, so no, they will never have the *full* information privy to a producer, company manager, or stage manager, and there are many reasons for that. I am sure people answer honestly with known information, and some of that may be noted with a glance to the callboard when they enter the building, but there are things that are bound by confidentiality for a variety of reasons.

That said, perhaps you should also take a moment to temper yourself and remember the situation. No matter how YOU feel, there is a nervous understudy standing on the other side of that curtain ready to give a performance equal to the missing actor when they have been given FAR less preparation and they can hear the grumbling in the audience, the snarky comments and sometimes condescending remarks of a disappointed audience.. and magnify that TENFOLD when it is a last minute switch and that actor has five minutes to prepare and there are no understudy slips so that Stage Management has to make that dreaded understudy announcement and the groans happen all at once.

.. and keep in mind the people who were disappointed when Linda Eder could not sing in Jekyll and Hyde and found themselves in the hands of this fresh understudy named Emily Skinner. Disappointing at the time. The stuff of legend now.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#49Does the box office know about understudy appearances
Posted: 6/25/19 at 8:37pm

There is nothing wrong with seeing who you want to see and exchanging your tickets. Nothing. I am paying for my ticket (not an understudy), therefore I can choose to see the show on another day. I politely exchange it at the box office and leave. I don't feel bad and no, I'm not a bad person for doing this. The judgement is deeeeep and ridiculous on this thread.