pixeltracker

Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong

Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#1Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 5:21pm

We caught the touring production of The Play That Goes Wrong last night in San Francisco. I had seen it two years ago in New York, but somehow it was even funnier this time. (I think this was because we opted for better seats this round, and I wasn't seeing it at the end of a jam-packed two-show day).

In both the Broadway production and in the touring production, the "actors" wander around the theater before the show and interact with the audience. At intermission, I got up, used the facilities, and wandered into the lobby when I saw a short scene with two of the "actors" from the show literally dragging a protesting third away from the bar. 

Has that bit always been staged, and I just missed it before? 

Unrelated, but we also happened to go to a performance that was simultaneously translated into sign-language. It was *really* fun watching the interpreters - they made some amazing faces as they translated the dialogue. I'm assuming they must have gotten the script beforehand, because otherwise the dialogue moves so quickly you would think it would be hard to keep up.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#2Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 5:31pm

Kitsune said: "At intermission, I got up, used the facilities, and wandered into the lobby when I saw a short scene with two of the "actors" from the show literally dragging a protesting third away from the bar."

I don't see any reason why they would have added that later, but jesus I adore that. I've been meaning to catch this show in NYC so I'm glad it's still off-Broadway. 

"Unrelated, but we also happened to go to a performance that was simultaneously translated into sign-language. It was *really* fun watching the interpreters- they made some amazing faces as they translated the dialogue. I'm assuming they must have gotten the script beforehand, because otherwise the dialogue moves so quickly you would think it would be hard to keep up."

I mean, I think that happens with most/all productions with a sign translator. Any show would be tricky to translate on the spot, and assuming they are part of the cast/crew (which would they fall under? I don't know), I feel like scripts would be just as mandatory as anyone else in the show. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 5:47pm

"In both the Broadway production and in the touring production, the "actors" wander around the theater before the show and interact with the audience. At intermission, I got up, used the facilities, and wandered into the lobby when I saw a short scene with two of the "actors" from the show literally dragging a protesting third away from the bar. "

I have seen the play twice, once in the West End and the other time on Broadway. The before the show bit was there both times with the "joke" they were looking for their lost dog and did anyone see the dog.. I did not see what you did during intermission when I saw the show.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#4Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 6:05pm

I saw it three times when it was on Broadway and while the opening bits were always essentially the same (looking for the dog/helping Annie set up), I could have sworn it was different at intermission each time.

The first time (with the original cast) and final time (with the replacement cast), I can’t remember anyone doing anything particular at all, though members of the “crew” were walking around. The first time I also distinctly remember hearing commotion from the Mezz or Balcony, so I assume something was happening up there.

The second time was my favorite, though. The actor who plays the hyperdramatic, “serious” actor-type (in the yellowish outfit), stormed from the stage wearing a hat and a scarf, announcing loudly that he quit. The actor playing Chris Bean was chasing him around begging him to come back, then they both disappeared somewhere in the lobby.

Last time I saw it I remember Trevor swiping his phone in what was most definitely a Tinder joke during one of the scenes where he “forgot” to play a sound cue. That was definitely a new one.

I assume each cast has their own little bits, it’s part of what kept the show fresh for me each time I saw it!

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#5Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 6:23pm

leighmiserables said: "I saw it three times when it was on Broadway and while the opening bits were always essentially the same (looking for the dog/helping Annie set up), I could have sworn it was different at intermission each time.

The first time (with the original cast) and final time (with the replacement cast), I can’t remember anyone doing anything particular at all, though members of the “crew” were walking around. The first time I also distinctly remember hearing commotion from the Mezz or Balcony, so I assume something was happening up there.

The second time was my favorite, though. The actor who plays the hyperdramatic, “serious” actor-type (in the yellowish outfit), stormed from the stage wearing a hat and a scarf, announcing loudly that he quit. The actor playing Chris Bean was chasing him around begging him to come back, then they both disappeared somewhere in the lobby.

Last time I saw it I remember Trevor swiping his phone in what was most definitely a Tinder joke during one of the scenes where he “forgot” to play a sound cue. That was definitely a new one.

I assume each cast has their own little bits, it’s part of what kept the show fresh for me each time I saw it!
"

Ah, I think the scene I saw was the aftermath of the yellowish outfit guy storming out. (I only caught the very end).

But yeah, I assume that every production and every company has their own takes on things. When I saw the show in New York with the British cast, the actor playing the tech guy was wandering around in the balcony and interacted with us.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#6Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 6:42pm

Kitsune said: "We caught the touring production of The Play That Goes Wrong last night in San Francisco. I had seen it two years ago in New York, but somehow it was even funnier this time. (I think this was because we opted for better seats this round, and I wasn't seeing it at the end of a jam-packed two-show day).

In both the Broadway production and in the touring production, the "actors" wander around the theater before the show and interact with the audience. At intermission, I got up, used the facilities, and wandered into the lobby when I saw a short scene with two of the "actors" from the show literally dragging a protesting third away from the bar.

Has that bit always been staged, and I just missed it before?
"

The intermission bit was also in the Broadway production, both with the original British cast and the closing cast.

The two actors snuck out into the house via house left (sometimes wearing sunglasses to disguise themselves) and made their way to the lobby, and then whoever played Chris (the director) followed after them.

Stellasteve
#7Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 9:26pm

We saw it yesterday as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. Two things about which I’ve been wondering:

1) Chris Bean apologized at the start for the ticketing mix-up for 1200 people who thought they had tickets to Hamilton. That joke obviously works in NY and in SF for now, but what does that joke change to if Hamilton isn’t concurrently running in the city?

2) When Bean is looking for Charles’s journal, two audience members shouted to him where to find it, which led him to lecture that audience on our behavior (“This isn’t TV!”). Was that a plant, is the expectation that the audience will eventually provide clues, or is this entirely improvisation?

I’d love to hear what experiences other people have had with the show in these two parts.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#8Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 10:34pm

The first time I saw the show on tour, they definitely did the dog bit beforehand. Then at intermission Chris and other actors stormed out and invaded the theater and lobby continuing to look for the dog, one of them went as far as to walk around with a squeaky toy.

As for the ledger joke, it is a plant. Both times I saw it he kept going until someone said “it’s underneath”, then he would go into his TV rant.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 11:50pm

I do not think it is a plant. I saw it twice and the second time that scene went on far longer than the first time I saw it. He just kept going until someone finally said it. The first time, several people said it.

Just give the world Love.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#10Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/19/19 at 11:56pm

Definitely not a plant re: a ledger. He will literally just keep repeating the line until someone gives up and shouts at him. Second time I saw it I swear he had to keep going for three minutes straight (which, in theatre-time, is ABSURD), so if it was a plant then they were REALLY messing with him that night. Last time I saw it someone said “it’s underneath” almost immediately, effectively ruining the bit, and the actor looked at them and said, “Really?” in an entirely unamused voice before jumping into the monologue.

William12
#11Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/20/19 at 2:37am

Stellasteve said: "We saw it yesterday as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. Two things about which I’ve been wondering:

1) Chris Bean apologized at the start for the ticketing mix-up for 1200 people who thought they had tickets to Hamilton. That joke obviously works in NY and in SF for now, but what does that joke change to if Hamilton isn’t concurrently running in the city?

2) When Bean is looking for Charles’s journal, two audience members shouted to him where to find it, which led him to lecture that audience on our behavior (“This isn’t TV!&rdquoAudience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong. Was that a plant, is the expectation that the audience will eventually provide clues, or is this entirely improvisation?

I’d love to hear what experiences other people have had with the show in these two parts.
"

I saw the national tour in Toronto back in Canada and the cast is still the same now as it was when I saw it back in January.

Instead of referring to Hamilton, we happened to have all thought we had tickets to see 'Come From Away'. Toronto's most popular concurrently run show at that time was 'Come From Away', and Hamilton will not be coming to Toronto until 2020. I would imagine that the cast adjusts the joke to mention whichever play is the most popular show currently being held in that particular city.

As for the second part, I don't specifically remember the part where audience members yelled out to Chris Bean on where the journal is so I can't speak to anything about that. However, I believe that it eventually led to Bean lecturing the audience on how we are such a terrible audience for laughing at him for not knowing where to find the journal is and that is why Hamilton will never come to Toronto (at the time the show was running, it had not been confirmed Hamilton would come to Toronto).

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#12Audience interaction changes for The Play That Goes Wrong
Posted: 8/21/19 at 2:42am

It seems like the actors always come out into the lobby  but the specifics of the bit can be left to the actors. The published script describes it as "Robert appears in auditorium/foyer and joins the queue for ice creams [the traditional intermission concession in the west end]. Chris appears and sends him back." When I saw the show in new York with the original cast, this bit was one where Robert and Dennis came out in "disguise" and started loudly praising the show and their own performances, only to be caught by Chris. On the tour last week, they came out in the same disguises and made a bee-line for the concessions stand. Both times I happened to be standing in the exact right place in the exact right time (I was literally standing next to Robert in New York) and was thrilled about it.