pixeltracker

Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?

Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?

GlenCoco
#1Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:03pm

I don't know much about what it takes for the show to keep running, I know they have recouped, and I know they are probably making money because grosses outweigh the operating costs, but being that the gross potential is 58% should the MG Fandom be worried?

ElphabaGoodman
#2Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:05pm

GlenCoco said: "I don't know much about what it takes for the show to keep running, I know they have recouped, and I know they are probably making money because grosses outweigh the operating costs, but being that the gross potential is 58% should the MG Fandom be worried?"

The show actually hasn’t recouped - unless it recouped without an announcement. Based on the recent grosses, I’d be very surprised if it stays open past January. 

singer234
#3Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:11pm

I think it all depends on if they want to try star casting or if they want to go a different route, close, and let every theatre in the world do it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:16pm

It's not uncommon for a show to recoup without announcement. I did the math and I forget how many weeks it should have taken them to recoup (estimated), but they've been generating profit for several months now.

MEAN GIRLS' weekly operating costs are probably around $700k+ per week including royalties, and that's what it grossed last week. But, there's also some money in the bank, and Tina Fey and her collaborators might be persuaded to waive their weekly royalties for a limited time if the producers have a good plan for turning around sales. (Shows often go on waivers when they're struggling at the beginning, but it's less common post-recoupment; that said, Lorne Michaels is a very persuasive man.)

Regardless, I would expect a closing in 2020 –– whether that's January, or whether they can try to improve sales to last through the end of next summer. Right now, my money is on January. 21 months is a nice healthy run for a big title that was critically-reviled.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#5Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:19pm

It was consistently grossing over a million this summer. It's September, it always a rougher time. I highly doubt they'll be closing in January. 

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#6Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 2:00pm

I know the grosses have been low this month, but was this not similar to other shows like Newsies, Matilda, and Billy Elliot this far into their run? I remember Matilda grossing only about 600K at this point and went on for 2 more years. I know it’s hard to make comparisons and it could be wishful thinking, but I hope they at least have 1 more summer in them. I saw the show this past weekend and it has held up incredibly well. Particularly loved Renee Rapp.

SouthernCakes
#7Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/1/19 at 3:03pm

Sept/Oct are always rough.

alex814
#8Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 6:43pm

IMO I’d say a percentage of the fanbase for this show is back in school. I’m also willing to bet that their repeat visits to the show are motivated by any understudies that might be performing that night.

I’m curious about who the production could secure for star/stunt casting given the vocal demands of the score (ex. Regina, and to lesser degrees Janis and Cady) and the level of dance skill required (Gretchen or Karen)

Would love to see Ana Gasteyer as the Adult Women. I also don’t see why Tim Meadows couldn’t come in as Principal Duvall.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 6:57pm

She might not boost sales through the roof, but I’d love to see Liz Gillies come in as Janis.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 7:29pm

Would love to see Ana Gasteyer as the Adult Women. I also don’t see why Tim Meadows couldn’t come in as Principal Duvall.

Both are series regulars of the ABC TV comedy SCHOOLED which films thru Spring 2020.  Their availability?  Zero.  

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#11Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 9:20pm

Let’s hope each member of the cast finds something better, and then we can put a decent show in that theater.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

SouthernCakes
#12Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 9:27pm

Call_me_jorge said: "She might not boost sales through the roof, but I’d love to see Liz Gillies come in as Janis."

Who?!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 10:28pm

SouthernCakes said: "Call_me_jorge said: "She might not boost sales through the roof, but I’d love to see Liz Gillies come in as Janis."

Who?!
"

She’s most well known for playing Jade on Victorious, but she got her start playing Lucy in 13 on broadway.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#14Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/2/19 at 10:38pm

They should definitely stunt cast. For a show as mediocre as it is, it's crazy that name recognition alone has carried it this far. Maybe they could get a Disney Channel star to come in for a bit.

magictodo123
#15Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/3/19 at 8:35am

singer234 said: "I think it all depends on if they want to try star casting or if they want to go a different route, close, and let every theatre in the world do it."

Can you think of someone who would be a good star casting for this show? If so, which role (s)? 

magictodo123
#16Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/3/19 at 8:35am

singer234 said: "I think it all depends on if they want to try star casting or if they want to go a different route, close, and let every theatre in the world do it."

Can you think of someone who would be a good star casting for this show? If so, which role (s)? 

Dollypop
#17Is Mean Girls in danger of closing?
Posted: 10/3/19 at 6:26pm

The producers have reached out to Jonathan Bennett. Don't know if they want him for his film role, though.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)