pixeltracker

An All Male West Side Story?- Page 2

An All Male West Side Story?

802AFM
#25An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/4/19 at 9:36pm

patrickj88 said: "Rumour is that I FEEL PRETTY has been cut for the show and that it will all be done in 1 ACT..no intermission"

Run time reportedly 1 hr 40 mins

inception Profile Photo
inception
#26An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/4/19 at 9:56pm

https://westsidestorybway.com/bios

I count 19 female cast members

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#27An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/5/19 at 2:54am

I would be MORE than happy not to have to sit thru Tonight/I feel pretty/Somewhere and Maria[ever again!], and no interval would be Perfect........I just want the Rumble.

Write future musicals that are 120mins without an interval and fkuk the candy/liquor bar they are written for.

I Hate Intervals.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#28An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/6/19 at 6:22am

I am curious as to what Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker will do with the choreography.  Any predictions on how this will differ from the original?

i just want the Dance at the Gym (Mambo).

sparkledust
#29An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/8/19 at 5:45pm

Sethwp2 said: "At least during previews anyway... until Sondheim and the Bernstein/Laurents estates see this version and give it their yay or nay."

You think that you do a version like this without getting them on board first, and that Scott Rudin would allow anyone other than himself to have the final yay or nay?

trpguyy
#30An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 12:44am

sparkledust said: "You think that you do a version like this without getting them on board first, and that Scott Rudin would allow anyone other than himself to have the final yay or nay?"

Actually, yes. For example, the reason the orchestra will be in the pit and visible is because of the Bernstein estate.

Updated On: 10/9/19 at 12:44 AM

EdEval
#31An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 12:13pm

If they DARE to cut one song from this I will NOT support it and wish it FLOPS!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 12:55pm

I’m not sure you need to wish it flops. I think it will inevitably be one of the biggest flops we’ve seen in recent memory.
For some people, West Side Story is even more sacred than Oklahoma. This isn’t going to sit well with many people, and I’m not sure there’s a tourist demand for a new WSS.

JSquared2
#33An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 3:00pm

EdEval said: "If they DARE to cut one song from this I will NOT support it and wish it FLOPS!"

Well, gee.  I bet you've got Rudin and van Hove quaking in their boots now!  

JBC3
#34An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 3:26pm

Gonna need more popcorn as this thread grows over time.

BWAY Baby2
#35An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:21pm

After hating what Van Hove did to View From The Bridge on BWAY- then watching him turn All About Eve into a big bore in London- I vowed no more of him- so I will  not be able to comment on how he ruined WSS.

JSquared2
#36An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:28pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "After hating what Van Hove did to View From The Bridge on BWAY- then watching him turn All About Eve into a bigbore in London- I vowed no more of him- so I will not be able to comment on how he ruined WSS."

Most people only "decide" or "say" they aren't interested --- but BWAY Baby2 "VOWED" --- must have been a dramatic moment in your life!  Was it anything like Sweeney Todd's "Epiphany"??

UncleCharlie
#37An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 4:59pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "After hating what Van Hove did to View From The Bridge on BWAY- then watching him turn All About Eve into a bigbore in London- I vowed no more of him- so I will not be able to comment on how he ruined WSS."

I'm not sure you could have hated what he did to A View more than I did. (SPOILER ahead if you haven't seen it) The person I saw it with during the climactic scene leaned over to me and said  "A guy is supposed to be getting stabbed to death. Why are they doing interpretive dance?"

SouthernCakes
#38An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 8:14pm

I went into A View From The Bridge blind and was so confused. Similarly felt the same with the climax in Oklahoma not knowing the show (still enjoyed Oklahoma.)

Rosette3
#39An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/9/19 at 11:35pm

SouthernCakes said: "I went into A View From The Bridge blind and was so confused. Similarly felt the same with the climax in Oklahoma not knowing the show (still enjoyed Oklahoma.) "

Was this Dream Ballet? I had only seen clips of the most famous songs from Oklahoma and roughly knew the plot but not anything outside of that. When the electric guitar started & dancer appeared I was like "wtf is going on? Am I on a psychedelic trip right now". Then part way through it clicked and my mind was blown when I realized it was simulating the subconscious haha I thought it was awesome. That and use of simulcast video and projections during Pore Juds Daid was unique and unexpected.

BWAY Baby2
#40An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/10/19 at 6:09am

Yes- I VOWED to stay away from anything Van Hove does- sorry that bothers you.

JBC3
#41An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/10/19 at 6:45am

UncleCharlie said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "After hating what Van Hove did to View From The Bridge on BWAY- then watching him turn All About Eve into a bigbore in London- I vowed no more of him- so I will not be able to comment on how he ruined WSS."

I'm not sure you could have hated what he did to A View more than I did. (SPOILERahead if you haven't seen it) The person I saw it with duringthe climactic scene leaned over to me and said "A guy is supposed to be getting stabbed to death. Why are they doing interpretive dance?"
"

Oh the horrors of a metaphorical representation of death in halting slow motion instead of a literal quick "jab and die sucker."

I found van hove's A View From the Bridge to be revelatory in intention, design, and performance ... and I usually do not like his work.

persephone88
#42An All Male West Side Story?
Posted: 10/10/19 at 6:53am

I also really liked A View From the Bridge and thought the actors were amazing on such a spare set. Mixed feelings about his direction of the Crucible, but I am looking forward to a fresh interpretation of WSS. Love Jerome Robbins classic choreography but interested in seeing a new spin on the dancing.