Smash Tv Show Time

Gizmo6
#1Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 9:29am

Hey all,

Im rewatching Smash and in episode 9 I notice Ivy and Karen dancing on Times Square where there is a large billboard with the 2003 Artwork for the Bernadette Peters helmed Gypsy.

Why was this? Smash was released 9 years later.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 12:27pm

Probably because Bernadette Peters played Ivy's mother on the show.

magictodo123
#3Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 12:28pm

yankeefan7 said: "Probably because Bernadette Peters played Ivy's mother on the show."

I was thinking the same thing. 

Gizmo6
#4Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 1:24pm

I thought the same but wasn’t Follies the year previous?

I just thought it was anachronistic.

JSquared2
#5Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 1:26pm

Gizmo6 said: "I thought the same but wasn’t Follies the year previous?

"

She wasn't playing "Bernadette Peters" on the show -- she was playing a famous Broadway star --- and GYPSY featured BP on the poster -- FOLLIES did not.

Gizmo6
#6Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 1:41pm

JSquared2 said: "Gizmo6 said: "I thought the same but wasn’t Follies the year previous?

"

She wasn't playing "Bernadette Peters" on the show -- she was playing a famous Broadway star --- and GYPSY featured BP on the poster -- FOLLIES did not.
"

I know she wasn’t playing herself. 

The billboard wasn’t the one of Peters it was the name Gypsy spelled out with instruments but on a black background rather than the purple. i found it curious. 

itsahopi
#7Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 2:28pm

Not sure of the circumstances regarding the Gypsy billboard, but I do recall at some point SMASH used old B-roll for Times Square from around 2006 (for a different scene I think, as Gypsy would've been closed by then). There was a lot of B-roll taken in 2006 that I've seen used in TV shows as recently as a few years ago and it always sticks out because there's a giant Lestat billboard in the background.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#8Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 3:04pm

I really don't think it is all that deep. It was probably just some set designer being cheeky/hiding Easter eggs, or potentially the Times Sq set they used hadn't been updated to be current. Later in the show they say Bernadette's character was making a "long-awaited return to Broadway" as Marilyn's mother, so a poster in Times Sq wouldn't make sense.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#9Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 3:16pm

I always assumed these anachronistic posters/ads were digitally added because they wanted to cover up advertisements that were present during the shoot that may have been for movies, products, etc. that were in competition with NBC/Universal. I'm sure Gypsy was a safe choice because isn't there always a production of that showing or it's in talks for a revival? And, with the Bernadette connection, it seems like a pretty failsafe option to just fill in some space. I will say the VFX unit on this show wasn't that amazing at blending them - they always stood out so much from their backgrounds.

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#10Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 3:16pm

Gizmo6 said: "Hey all,

Im rewatching Smash and in episode 9 I notice Ivy and Karen dancing on Times Square where there is a large billboard with the 2003 Artwork for the Bernadette Peters helmed Gypsy.

Why was this? Smash was released 9 years later.
"

You have a lot of time on your hands. Like everything in Smash, as Valentina stated, it's not all that deep. 

Dublin2 Profile Photo
Dublin2
#11Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 3:29pm

I wish it were on Netflix!

Irishman living in Brooklyn.

magictodo123
#12Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 4:58pm

Dublin2 said: "I wish it were on Netflix!"

I will be okay with Friends leaving Netflix if Smash takes its place.

Please??

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/14/19 at 6:58pm

magictodo123 said: "Dublin2 said: "I wish it were on Netflix!"

Please??
"

FRIENDS had 10 seasons.  236 episodes. 

SMASH had 2 seasons.  32 episodes. 

magictodo123
#14Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 7:23am

BrodyFosse123 said: "magictodo123 said: "Dublin2 said: "I wish it were on Netflix!"

Please??
"

FRIENDS had 10 seasons. 236episodes.

SMASH had 2 seasons. 32 episodes.

"

Exactly-there's enough room for Smash to be on Netflix. Plus think about the audience it will bring. 

magictodo123
#15Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 7:23am

BrodyFosse123 said: "magictodo123 said: "Dublin2 said: "I wish it were on Netflix!"

Please??
"

"

Exactly-there's enough room for Smash to be on Netflix. Plus think about the audience it will bring. 

bfreak
#16Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 7:44am

It’ll probably be on NBC’s own streaming service, Peacock, next year when it launches.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#17Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 8:20am

bfreak said: "It’ll probably be on NBC’s own streaming service, Peacock, next year when it launches."

It's been on nbc.com for years:

https://www.nbc.com/smash

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 9:01am

CT2NYC said: "bfreak said: "It’ll probably be on NBC’s own streaming service, Peacock, next year when it launches."

It's been on nbc.com for years:

https://www.nbc.com/smash
"

Exactly.  NBC has lots of their short-run cancelled shows on their website and app, including the fantastic short-run Christina Applegate/Will Arnett/Maya Rudolph comedy UP ALL NIGHT as well as all the seasons of WILL & GRACE.  

JSquared2
#19Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 12:25pm

magictodo123 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "magictodo123 said: "Dublin2 said: "I wish it were on Netflix!"

Please??
"

"

Yeah -- literally DOZENS of viewers!

Sometimes it's amazing to see the "bubble" that some BWW peeps live in.

Jarethan
#20Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 1:04pm

I frequently think about that, particularly When someone posts about the bump a show will have if some obscure performer only known to people like those on this board is hired.

Of course, I will be one of the ones watching it.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#21Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 1:30pm

"Yeah -- literally DOZENS of viewers!

Sometimes it's amazing to see the "bubble" that some BWW peeps live in."

There is a show I liked years ago called "Designated Survivor" and it got canceled after two seasons like "Smash" . Netflix thought enough of "Designated Survivor" and brought back the show with new episodes this year. So even though a show may have had "dozens" of viewers" it does not mean it could not gain viewers and a following again if it is shown again by another network with different day and time.

Updated On: 10/15/19 at 01:30 PM

JSquared2
#22Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 1:57pm

yankeefan7 said: ""Yeah -- literally DOZENS of viewers!

Sometimes it's amazing to see the "bubble" that some BWW peeps live in."

There is a show I liked years ago called "Designated Survivor" and it got canceled after two seasons like "Smash" . Netflix thought enough of "Designated Survivor" and brought back the show with new episodes this year. So even though a show may have had "dozens" of viewers" it does not mean it could not gain viewers and a following again if it is shown again by another network with different day and time.
"

True, except that Designated Survivor did not attract a following on Netflix so they cancelled it after the first batch of episodes.

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#23Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 3:31pm

No one really watched Smash, which is probably why Netflix does not care about it.  The ratings were so embarrassing they moved it to Saturday nights.  The only people who watched it were, are, or will be members of this website! smiley

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#24Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 5:03pm

"True, except that Designated Survivor did not attract a following on Netflix so they cancelled it after the first batch of episodes."

At least Netflix gave the show a try. I watched the 3rd season (Netflix) and it was pretty good even though one of my favorite characters got killed. After the first season, the show was trying to become a newer version of "The West Wing" IMO. Sorry the show failed to attract an audience after the first year, it was a quality show IMO.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#25Smash Tv Show Time
Posted: 10/15/19 at 5:18pm

"No one really watched Smash, which is probably why Netflix does not care about it.  The ratings were so embarrassing they moved it to Saturday nights.  The only people who watched it were, are, or will be members of this website!"

Once they moved it to 10pm on Tuesday from Monday night at 8pm, it had no chance. It also had a low rated lead in show which did not help. It is a shame this show failed because it had an awesome cast and a lot of the new music was pretty good. The writing of this show definitely went downhill after the pilot.

Videos