pixeltracker

Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?- Page 2

Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#25Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/11/19 at 6:59pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "I’m really curious if the folks who claim yesteryear’s performers who would scoff at today’s standards of having understudies go on with regularity and having alternates for particularly demanding roles are actually performers themselves? You find me a professional performer who thinks performing 8 shows in 6 days is healthy for any lengthy period of time with no breaks, and I’ll show you a sociopath."

Then every actor prior to the 2000's was a sociopath. Huh.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#26Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/11/19 at 7:09pm

Patti Lupone had an alternate in Evita. And she's never stopped complaining about how Evita wrecked her voice. And she's also the diva people bring up the most as "in the old days people went on even when their mothers died of cancer and their fathers were in jail and they had a miscarriage right onstage!"

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#27Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/11/19 at 7:17pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I think it was The Producers effect. They started too big and couldn’t achieve the same success with anyone after Midler. I wonder how long it would’ve lasted had Bernadette or Donna had started with the production and then they went on with bigger names."

And years before that, it was the 'Sunset Boulevard' effect. That musical was closely associated with Glenn Close - both in LA and NY. Once she left LA, it closed (after an ill-fated attempt to fill her shoes with Faye Dunaway).  In NY, despite the fact that Betty Buckley was incredible and critics loved her, it still couldn't sustain Close's box office. And Elaine Paige fared worse (maybe he should have tried harder to get Diana Ross or Cher). In the end, it will always be associated with Close, no matter who plays the role.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/11/19 at 7:38pm

I find it more special for Bernadette that they didn’t cycle through diva after diva. Dreams really do come true. I miss the show and her performance deeply and I consider it genuinely life changing.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

neeGallagher
#29Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:12am

My two cents, the reason that this revival worked so well is that it gave audiences an escape from the present day. DOLLY is just plain fun even if a bit camp, but the show and this revival knew that. It doesn't try to be excessively deep or thought-provoking, nor does it invite countless audience (or directors'Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away? interpretations - it's a standard, a classic, and it worked.

I saw this production four times - 3x with Bernadette and 1x during Bette's return. Bernadette owned the show, and the audience ate it up every time I was there. I'm not sure why her run wasn't more successful. While people undeservedly (in my opinion) criticized her voice, and granted it isn't as pristine as it was in SUNDAY or INTO THE WOODS 30 years ago, her acting, comedic timing, and command of the entire stage was amazing.

I adore Bette, but also agree with what SeanMartin2 said: "... she just wasnt, I dont know, right somehow. It was a Bette Midler concert with a little play attached, and she made sure we knew it ..."

Bette, on paper, was a great choice for the production, but seeing her live was a ... spectacle.

She made no effort to hide forgotten lines or choreography, broke character and spoke directly to the audience (most memorably during "...Sunday Clothes"Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?, and rushed through the rest of her lines to the point it was almost impossible to understand what she was actually saying (mind you, this was my fourth time seeing this production in 5 months - so I knew the dialogue, and so should've Bette). 

jvoom said: "... Apparently Jerry Herman gave his blessing to the revival on the agreement he had a say in who played Dolly and allegedly vetoed Reba, Dolly and Patti LaBelle. I think the closest they got to another name was Queen Latifah but for whatever reason it fell through..."

I heard largely the same through my Broadway grapevine. Reba and Queen Latifah both got far in contract negotiations. I'm not sure of the timeline of who was first, nor while they both fell through. 

Updated On: 12/12/19 at 12:12 AM

SouthernCakes
#30Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:30am

Those 2 would have done gang busters so wonder why they fell through

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#31Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:30am

poisonivy2 said: "Patti Lupone had an alternate in Evita. And she's never stopped complaining about how Evita wrecked her voice. And she's also the diva people bring up the most as "in the old days people went on even when their mothers died of cancer and their fathers were in jail and they had a miscarriage right onstage!""

Not to my knowledge. She's the start of the new guard as far as I can tell. Stars didn't skip matinees prior to LuPone.

carnzee
#32Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:50am

joevitus said: "poisonivy2 said: "Patti Lupone had an alternate in Evita. And she's never stopped complaining about how Evita wrecked her voice. And she's also the diva people bring up the most as "in the old days people went on even when their mothers died of cancer and their fathers were in jail and they had a miscarriage right onstage!""

Not to my knowledge. She's the start of the new guard as far as I can tell. Stars didn't skip matinees prior to LuPone.
"

I think Evita has always had an alternate. If I recall,Elaine  Paige started doing all 8 in London, but ran into vocal trouble, and so ALW insisted on this arrangement. As far as I know, Lupone has never had an alternate for any other shows.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#33Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 1:22am

carnzee said: "joevitus said: "poisonivy2 said: "Patti Lupone had an alternate in Evita. And she's never stopped complaining about how Evita wrecked her voice. And she's also the diva people bring up the most as "in the old days people went on even when their mothers died of cancer and their fathers were in jail and they had a miscarriage right onstage!""

"

I think Evita has always had an alternate. If I recall,Elaine Paige started doing all 8 in London, but ran into vocal trouble, and so ALW insisted on this arrangement. As far as I know, Lupone has never had an alternate for any other shows.
"

You may be right, and I don't know the performance history in Britain, but when I asked a friend who worked with her if LuPone was a diva, his very words were "until LuPone did Evita, stars didn't miss matinees. She started that." Now, he could have been referring strictly to American stars prior to her, but those were his words. 

carnzee
#34Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 1:32am

The only instance prior to Evita that I can think of is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe. A separate cast did the matinees( including Elaine Stritch subbing for Uta Hagen).But every revival of it has just had one cast for all shows.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#35Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 2:08am

Well I was bored ****eless and no matter who they dragged up from wherever to give their 'take' on Dolly, it's a tired old piece that should now be done perhaps 'in concert' with other works by Herman--- though not like Jerrys Girls.

Of course then all will argue what THEY think are 'the best'.

No more tired unfunny vaudeville or endless waiters gallop.

SeanMartin2
#36Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 2:30am

Lupone would have been dreadful as Dolly Levi. Period. End of story.

BWAY Baby2
#37Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 3:04am

Sweet Lips- I tend to agree.

Updated On: 12/12/19 at 03:04 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#38Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 7:23am

Did we ever hear who the star Rudin almost had to replace Bernadette was?

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#39Hello, Dolly 2017: the revival that got away?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 7:26am

Patti LuPone absolutely did not start a "trend" of performers missing matinees.  The Eva alternate is something that started in London while Elaine Paige was still performing the role.  Terri Klausner was hired as Patti's alternate before rehearsals even began as far as I'm aware, so it's something that was planned before the show was even cast and Patti's vocal trouble started to appear.  I think her work ethic speaks for itself...when I saw her in Gypsy, they announced that she would be wearing Isotoners due to a foot injury, and she still went on and gave an incredible performance (at a 2 pm Wednesday matinee).  During War Paint she was having issues with her hip, but she still committed and from what I understand didn't miss many performances.  Maybe the Evita alternate was the first time something like that had been done with a role, I can't say that for a fact, and even if that is the case it certainly was not LuPone's initiative.