2020 Tony Awards Poll

pollster2
#12020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 4/29/20 at 12:42pm

While it looks as though the 2020 Tony Awards will not happen, I decided to act as if business were usual and create the annual poll in which we can vote for who we want to win. I have included every show that officially opened during the shortened season. The poll will remain open until the night the Tonys were supposed to be held. Enjoy!

https://forms.gle/zSESZ4aPVxgsJW5m9

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#22020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 4/29/20 at 1:45pm

That’s wild that Percy Jackson was the only musical to officially open with an original score.

pollster2
#32020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/11/20 at 10:46am

Bumping

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/11/20 at 10:56am

They could do a virtual awards ceremony sometime in August. Would be interesting the following year though based on how few new shows open.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

pollster2
#52020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/12/20 at 3:40pm

If the current numbers are in any way indicative of how Tony voters might vote (if there is a 2020 vote), Moulin Rouge and The Inheritance would both dominate awards night with 8 wins each. West Side Story, Jagged Little Pill, and A Christmas Carol would each win 2 Tonys. Tina, Girl from the North Country, Betrayal, and The Sound Inside would each win 1.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#62020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/12/20 at 4:12pm

I don't think I could sit through it again, but I am continually dumbfounded by the love Moulin Rouge! gets. Besides being very shiny and loud, I thought it was one of the most mediocre musicals I've seen in a long time. 

Broadway61004
#72020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/13/20 at 9:56am

HeyMrMusic said: "That’s wild that Percy Jackson was the only musical to officially open with an original score."

And not only that, but had the season gone as planned, we still would have only had 5 (unless I'm forgetting something): Percy, Doubtfire, Sunset, Six and Diana (I'm assuming Sing Street would have been ineligible).  So I think it's safe to say at least one play (probably A Christmas Carol) would have gotten nominated (over Percy) with possibly another over Diana.

Falsettolands
#82020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/13/20 at 8:26pm

God, what a horrendous season for musicals on Broadway. If A Strange Loop and Soft Power had been in this mix, It would have been a lot easier to make choices...but in some cases on this list it's a matter of "what was the most painless experience?"

chrishuyen
#92020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/13/20 at 11:14pm

A bit pedantic, but shouldn't Jonathan Tunick for West Side story not be listed since it's the original orchestrations?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#102020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/14/20 at 12:39am

chrishuyen said: "A bit pedantic, but shouldn't Jonathan Tunick for West Side story not be listed since it's the original orchestrations?"

Didn't Tunick contribute some new orchestrations?

chrishuyen
#112020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/14/20 at 1:52am

Oops, my bad! I didn't realize they had new orchestrations for this production and (wrongly) thought Tunick had done the original.

pollster2
#122020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 5/27/20 at 10:03am

Bumping as we have a week and a half left until the poll closes.

If the current numbers are in any way indicative of how Tony voters might vote (if there is a 2020 vote), Moulin Rouge and The Inheritance would both dominate awards night with 10 and 8 wins, respectively. A Christmas Carol would win 2 Tonys. West Side Story, Jagged Little Pill, Slave Play, Tina, Girl from the North Country, Betrayal, and The Sound Inside would each win 1.

pollster2
#132020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/1/20 at 10:13am

Less than a week to go!

pollster2
#142020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/6/20 at 8:59am

I will be closing the poll tomorrow at noon EST. I will announce the results shortly after.

pollster2
#152020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/7/20 at 12:12pm

The results are in!

Best Play: The Inheritance by Matthew Lopez

Best Musical: Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Revival of a Play: Betrayal

Best Revival of a Musical: West Side Story

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: Kyle Soller, The Inheritance

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Mary-Louise Parker, The Sound Inside

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Aaron Tveit, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: Adrienne Warren, Tina: The Tina Turner Musical

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play: Paul Hilton, The Inheritance

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play: Lois Smith, The Inheritance

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Danny Burstein, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical: Lauren Patten, Jagged Little Pill

Best Direction of a Play: Stephen Daldry, The Inheritance

Best Direction of a Musical: Alex Timbers, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Book of a Musical: Conor McPherson, Girl from the North Country

Best Original Score: The Inheritance, Paul Englishby

Best Scenic Design in a Play: Rob Howell, A Christmas Carol

Best Scenic Design in a Musical: Derek McLane, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Costume Design in a Play: Rob Howell, A Christmas Carol

Best Costume Design in a Musical: Catherine Zuber, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Lighting Design in a Play: Jon Clark, The Inheritance

Best Lighting Design in a Musical: Justin Townsend, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Sound Design of a Play: Paul Arditt and Christopher Reid, The Inheritance

Best Sound Design of a Musical: Peter Hylenski, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Choreography: Sonya Tayeh, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Best Orchestrations: Justin Levine, Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

Awards per production

10: Moulin Rouge! The Musical!

8: The Inheritance

2: A Christmas Carol

1: Betrayal

1: West Side Story

1: Girl from the North Country

1: Jagged Little Pill

1: Tina: The Tina Turner Musical

1: The Sound Inside

Some notes:

The Inheritance took Best Play over Slave Play by a single vote.

Arguably, there is no clear frontrunner for Best Leading or Featured Actor in a Play.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#162020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/7/20 at 12:50pm

Whoever mentioned original scores, Flying Over Sunset would have also had an original score.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#172020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/7/20 at 12:56pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Whoever mentioned original scores, Flying Over Sunset would have also had an original score. "

This was a list of shows that officially opened this season. Lightning Thief was the only musical with an original score to officially open.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#182020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/7/20 at 1:18pm

It's interesting to think about how many of these wins would remain the same had everything been able to open as planned. I think Danny Burstein and Mary Louise Parker probably would have won anyway, unless Laurie Metcalf won for Virginia Woolf.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

IHeartNY2
#192020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/7/20 at 7:00pm

These wins look about right!

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#202020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/9/20 at 7:22pm

GlindatheGood22 said: "It's interesting to think about how many of these wins would remain the same had everything been able to open as planned. I think Danny Burstein and Mary Louise Parker probably would have won anyway, unless Laurie Metcalf won for Virginia Woolf.

"

I actually think Joaquina would've had the edge ... 

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#212020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/9/20 at 7:25pm

And what a dreadful year for Best Actor in a Musical ... yuck.  Compared to two years ago when Shalhoub won, but any of the four would've made sense.

djoko84
#222020 Tony Awards Poll
Posted: 6/10/20 at 6:52pm

Those would've been awful winners had the Tonys gone on. Luckily, they were smart to postpone them - most likely till next year and combine the two years.