pixeltracker

THE MUSIC MAN Will Now Start Previews 12/20/21- Page 9

THE MUSIC MAN Will Now Start Previews 12/20/21

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#200THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 8:37am

Well that’s certainly not the early buzz i was expecting to read lol. 

adotburr
#201THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 8:57am

Agreed. I normally go in blind for every show and do not read reviews. This one is different because of higher ticket prices. Reviews will definitely help me decide how much to spend. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

SueFB
#202THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:03am

I saw this posted by somebody who was there on Facebook. 

Let's face it--on a cold, wet December Saturday evening feeling already slightly disheartened by the impact COVID is once again taking on the NYC entertainment industry--if I'm going to be conned by any character in a Broadway theater, please let that character be played by Hugh Jackman (in a white suit at least some of the time). Thanks to the kindness of a friend in the cast of "The Music Man," I got to attend the invited dress rehearsal tonight--the first audience the cast had. And what an audience. And WHAT a cast! Jerry Zaks made a short curtain speech where he reminded the audience that it was a rehearsal, and while he was hoping that they wouldn't have to stop, if they needed to, they would stop. My friend in the cast texted that they had never done the show without stopping until tonight. Turned out the only pausing they had to do was for rock-star entrance applause and the screaming, standing ovation at the end of the show. There was a lot of love emanating back and forth from stage to audience and vice versa tonight. Here was another show scheduled and temporarily derailed by COVID. But so lovely to finally have it on Broadway. Beautifully cast (you could do about THREE Broadway musicals with the cast of just this one) with co-star Sutton Foster and outstanding supporting performances by Shuler Hensley, Jayne Houdyshell, Phillip Boykin, Eddie Korbich, Gino Cosculluela, Emma Crow, Jessica Sheridan, Garrett Elise Long, Jefferson Mays, Benjamin Pajak and Marie Mullen. That Hugh Jackman is always in it to win it, and he seems to respect the theater and theater work so much. Plus he's so danged good looking and charismatic. Sutton Foster, as one might expect, makes the role her own, and is charming and funny. She sings beautifully--often in her head voice, and perhaps one key for one song is lowered and slightly rearranged to suit her personality and voice. Shuler Hensley is an adorable bad guy--charming, goofy and delicious. Jayne Houdyshell is so deliciously rubber-faced. The Pick-A-Little ladies are adorable as is the Barber Shop Quartet. The orchestra, under Patrick Vaccariello, sounded great, and the cast's diction in the songs was terrific. In order not to be a spoiler, I'll leave it at that. But what a treat and a delight--delicious chicken soup for the soul.

jo
#203THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:18am

Thanks, Sue, for sharing these notes!!

I have also heard from someone who said that " it was great...sobbed tears of joy" and that I should  "sell my soul to get tickets".

Updated On: 12/19/21 at 09:18 AM

Jordan Catalano
#204THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:19am

Thanks for sharing that!! The only thing worrying is this se sentence - 

“you could do about THREE Broadway musicals with the cast of just this one”.

More People more chances of shutdown. 

Hairspray0901
#205THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:21am

bwayphreak234 said: "Pre-show set...

Screen-Shot-2021-12-18-at-6-59-24-PM
"

Does anyone know what happened with the 4 seats they released in row AA or BB a few months ago for $279?  I recall them being sold some dates with only 2 per row, none per row or 4 per row? But according to this pic, it looks like there are at least 7 seats in the front right orch. Did they remove what was being sold, or, just add more seats? 

jo
#206THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:32am

Hairspray0901 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Pre-show set...

Screen-Shot-2021-12-18-at-6-59-24-PM
"

Does anyone know what happened with the 4 seats they released in row AA or BB a few months ago for $279? I recall them being sold some dates with only 2 per row, none per row or 4 per row? But according to this pic, it looks like there are at least 7 seats in the front right orch. Did they remove what was being sold, or, just add more seats?
"

Per current seating chart, there are now 7 seats abreast  each for  Left & right Orch of row A (priced at $269+) .  Total of fourteen  seats for every performance!

Updated On: 12/19/21 at 09:32 AM

SueFB
#207THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:36am

A friend of mine who purchased seats in Row BB for a late January show was notified recently that "unfortunately, that row has been removed from the theater. We have moved your seats to the nearest comparable location, most likely in Row A (the new first row)."

Their new seats were the exact same ones as before, just now in Row A.

RUkiddingme
#208THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:53am

Based on what I saw last night, I think this show will make Hugh Jackman a star!

The 76 Trombones number is perfect!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#209THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 9:57am

A friend whose opinion I trust said it was fine but unremarkable, no Hello, Dolly!

I too will wait to see for reports and reviews to come in before shelling out an entire paycheck for this.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#210THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 10:40am

The important discussion here, heading into this first week of performances: are the swings up to speed, have the covers been rehearsed. Covers for everything but Harold, since any out is possible on any day. This show is part of a community on tenterhooks, and unless the large company has multiples ready to step in, it could face the same fate. That's not "hater" pessimism, that's December 19th reality check. I'm hoping that the long rehearsal period has readied everyone who stands by or understudies. It's possible that any or all could go on before the opening night. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/19/21 at 10:40 AM

Jordan Catalano
#211THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 10:47am

Who is Sutton’s understudy?

SueFB
#212THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:07am

Jordan Catalano said: "Who is Sutton’s understudy?"

Kathy Voytko

JasonC3
#213THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:08am

RUkiddingme said: "Based on what I saw last night, I think this show will make Hugh Jackman a star!

The 76 Trombones number is perfect!
"

Poor guy has been toiling in obscurity for so long now. Wink wink.

Jordan Catalano
#214THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:12am

SueFB said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Who is Sutton’s understudy?"

Kathy Voytko
"

OMG I had no idea. I’ll definitely be trying to see it with Kathy if Sutton has a vacation!

adotburr
#215THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:22am

Jordan Catalano said: "SueFB said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Who is Sutton’s understudy?"

Kathy Voytko
"

OMG I had no idea. I’ll definitely be trying to see it with Kathy if Sutton has a vacation!

"

Audrey Cardwell is also listed on the website as a Marian u/s

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

jo
Dolly80
#217THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 12:23pm

The photo of the set pre show is hugely uninspiring. 
maybe all the money was spent on Hugh.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#218THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 12:29pm

Dolly80 said: "The photo of the set pre show is hugely uninspiring.
"

I once saw a production of The Music Man at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, it was intentionally drab at the start. Everything in fact was done in greys, no colour. As Harold Hill came and the town changed, colour was slowly introduced into the set and costumes. It was incredibly effective. 

Perhaps this production is going for a similar effect? Start off with some drab realism? 

Updated On: 12/19/21 at 12:29 PM

angoradebs
#219THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 12:59pm

Dolly80 said: "The photo of the set pre show is hugely uninspiring.
"

I'm really not sure what anyone was expecting for the pre-show set? Most shows just have a curtain. You certainly didn't get any idea of what Hello Dolly was going to look like when you first sat down.

BernadettevsPatti
#220THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 1:11pm

Anyone trying rush for the first preview? What time is anybody planning to get there? It’s gonna be 28 degrees. No idea what to plan for.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#221THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 1:15pm

In person rush? It goes along with the theme of an old school musical I get it, but given the current climate, Im sure they will change to digital for awhile. A whole bunch of people grouped together seems like a very terrible idea. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#222THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 1:16pm

That photo also doesn't include any of the pre-show lighting, so you aren't getting the realistic and desired effect the designers are going for.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#223THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 1:20pm

BernadettevsPatti said: "Anyone trying rush for the first preview? What time is anybody planning to get there? It’s gonna be 28 degrees. No idea what to plan for."

I'm not going but I do know 2 friends-actors are planning on going at 5am to wait on line

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 12/19/21 at 01:20 PM

SouthernCakes
#224THE MUSIC MAN
Posted: 12/19/21 at 1:31pm

That must be the intermission set. A friend on FB posted a the pre show and it’s a curtain.

Videos