pixeltracker

Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts- Page 2

Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#25Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 1:02am

Fosse76 said: "I wonder under what authority Ticketmaster is able to implement this. They don't operate venues or produce the events, nor do any of their employees work in such venues. So how can they dictate such a policy?"

Live Nation Entertainment, which owns TicketMaster, operates about 100 major venues and produce many large events. But even event/venues that aren't under their control, I'm sure the venue operators would be happy to let a vendor handle this rather than handle it in house.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#26Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 1:05am

ArtMan said: "Unless they change the number of days it takes to get back your test results, this plan is ludicrous. This week it took me six days to get back my test results for a test I took Friday morning. Other times it wasn't that long. Anywhere from three to five days. They expect me to shell out money for a ticket and hope I get my results back in time for the show?There are places that give you results within a hour, but the wait period, to take the test, is over 5 hours. I am sure the test can only be so many days old, to be valid for their purposes."

There are all sorts of problems that could arise with this, but the company Ticketmaster is partnering with to manage the health side of it, CLEAR (the same company who does the expedited airport security) already provides this service to major sports venues and museums and large employers, so I'm guessing they are working out many of the kinks now.

Fosse76
#27Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 4:42am

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "Fosse76 said: "I wonder under what authority Ticketmaster is able to implement this. They don't operate venues or produce the events, nor do any of their employees work in such venues. So how can they dictate such a policy?"

Live Nation Entertainment, which owns TicketMaster, operates about 100 major venues and produce many large events. But even event/venues that aren't under their control, I'm sure the venue operators would be happy to let a vendor handle this rather than handle it in house.
"

Obviously, for venues they don't own (or events they don't produce), they have no authority to dictate this type of policy simply because their system is used to sell tickets.  A significant number of tickets for Broadway shows is sold the day of the performance and in-person, and this appears to eliminates that possibility (as well as force people to spend an exorbitant amount of money on testing and TM fees). I just don't see the practicality for Broadway. This of course, doesn't include the legitimate arguments about testing turnaround times and inaccurate results. 

That said, Broadway cannot reopen until the virus is pretty much eradicated, since the financial position of a Broadway show doesn't allow for reduced audiences. As such, this system would be unnecessary.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#28Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 8:19am

I just don't know how something like this can be enforced. To quote Elle Woods, "Why now? Why this sperm?" I understand the drastic consequences of spreading, etc. but how different is this than saying everyone needs to prove they have a flu shot, or a vaccination for the mumps; chicken pox, etc. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#29Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 9:41am

Fosse76 said: "Obviously, for venues they don't own (or events they don't produce), they have no authority to dictate this type of policy simply because their system is used to sell tickets. A significant number of tickets for Broadway shows is sold the day of the performance and in-person, and this appears to eliminates that possibility (as well as force people to spend an exorbitant amount of money on testing and TM fees). I just don't see the practicality for Broadway. This of course, doesn't include the legitimate arguments about testing turnaround times and inaccurate results.

That said, Broadway cannot reopen until the virus is pretty much eradicated,since the financial position of a Broadway show doesn't allow for reduced audiences. As such, this system would be unnecessary.
"

If we assume for sake of discussion that this sort of thing is needed, then the issue would not be "authority" because it would be a valuable service for which every venue would be eager to have someone else administer. You have to understand, also, that venues are very nervous about liability as well as making event-going more appealing to more people, and I suspect it is from that mindset that this notion originated and to which it is directed. Venues, like restaurants, bars, etc etc are worried sick and desperately looking for anything that helps.

Re day of/in person sales, this is one of those things that (in the context of this) that would not be possible. We need to be prepared for the new normal when we have any return to normalcy. 

Re costs of testing, testing has to be ubiquitous (as it is in NY) as a sine qua non of getting past this pandemic, and turnarounds are not really going to be a problem. (Remember that we are talking about something that is not going to happen anytime soon, even if we assume it will ever happen, which I don't.) Likewise, inaccurate results are not a significant factor at this point. 

I agree that this would not get Broadway open in any event. 

Sunny11
#30Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 9:45am

Many jobs does require you to prove to having certain vaccinations to be employed. The difference is that there isn't a fresh measles or TB epidemic at the moment so that requirement doesn't go  beyond certain high risk activities 

Fosse76
#31Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 1:00pm

Sunny11 said: "Many jobs does require you to prove to havingcertain vaccinations to be employed. The difference is that there isn't a fresh measles or TB epidemic at the moment so that requirement doesn't go beyond certainhigh risk activities"

School vaccinations are required by law. And lawmakers aren't rushing to require the public to be vaccinated for COVID-19, especially since it's being rushed out. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#32Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 1:07pm

Guess Ticketmaster didn't like getting all the hate they are getting on social media so they clarified they aren't in charge of what venues and promoters choose to do...

https://help.ticketmaster.com/s/article/What-are-your-COVID-screening-requirements?language=en_US

What are your COVID screening requirements?
We have noticed there has been some misreporting around safety protocols. To clarify, Ticketmaster does not set policies around safety/entry requirements, which include vaccines and/or testing protocols. Ticketmaster continues to work with event organizers on all COVID safety measures and it will be up to each event organizer to set future requirements.

We are exploring a number of safety features for event organizers to utilize as they look to welcome fans back to events. This includes social distancing, contactless entry and more. Any screening requirements will be up to the individual event organizer and local health guidelines, and not Ticketmaster.

*Please note that no changes have been implemented at this time. Should changes take place in the future, all ticket holders will be alerted.

We look forward to gathering and celebrating the live experience together again.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Fosse76
#34Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 2:09pm

HogansHero said: "If we assume for sake of discussion that this sort of thing is needed, then the issue would not be "authority" because it would be a valuable service for which every venue would be eager to have someone else administer. You have to understand, also, that venues are very nervous about liability as well as making event-going more appealing to more people, and I suspect it is from that mindset that this notion originated and to which it is directed. Venues, like restaurants, bars, etc etc are worried sick and desperately looking for anything that helps.

Maybe, but does anyone think that this wouldn't cost extra money? The M.O. for Broadway landlords is to use current staff to enforce any additional procedures, so I don't see them wanting to use this (which would likely have its own liability headaches).

Re day of/in person sales, this is one of those things that (in the context of this) that would not be possible. We need to be prepared for the new normal when we have any return to normalcy.

Except this would cause a substantial hit to Broadway shows. Many shows rely on same-day and in-person sales. A show like Wicked or Hamilton wouldn't really be affected. But other shows need same day sales, particularly ones that are struggling.

Re costs of testing, testing has to be ubiquitous (as it is in NY) as a sine qua non of getting past this pandemic, and turnarounds are not really going to be a problem. (Remember that we are talking about something that is not going to happen anytime soon, even if we assume it will ever happen, which I don't.) Likewise, inaccurate results are not a significant factor at this point.

I disagree. Even though testing is more ubiquitous now in NY, turnaround times are still a major problem. It still takes a week to get test results in New York. And by then the test wouldn't be valid for admission. I know that they have developed a 15-minute test, though false positives (and negatives) are probably higher than what would normally be acceptable (same with the other tests). It's also not clear when those would become available. Inaccurate results aren't a factor in that the results are accepted as accurate, but tell that to the person who can't see Hamilton because they unknowingly have a false positive test.

But we agree all of this is academic. Broadway can't afford to re-open until things are relatively normal. The financials don't allow all these social distancing and limited capacity measures. But the new normal you mention likely wouldn't last. Once most of the country has recovered and infections rates become steady (or are eliminated), most businesses will resort back to normal. I think corporate office space may be altered more significantly in the long run, but no doubt things will eventually return to normal.

ArtMan
#35Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 2:50pm

Ticketmaster = lie, lie, then deny.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/12/20 at 3:07pm

@Fosse I think you have pointed out several additional reasons that nothing being talked about here could ever have relevance to Broadway. On the logistics issues, since this is pretty far off under the best of circumstances (basically it would be happening about the same amount of time from now as from the start of the pandemic and just think about all the technology and science that has happened in that time range), it is really not worth guessing. [Side note: I just spoke to a friend back from Hong Kong where everything has been figured out and life goes on because people do what they need to do logistically. We wouldn't have to reinvent any wheels but we lack the will so it too is academic.] Beyond that, it should be clear that whatever might happen elsewhere, none of this would be viable in NY and least of all on Broadway. Most other businesses (and perhaps even off-B) can get back closer to normal. Finally, I agree about office space being an exception to recovery; it's going to be a blood bath. Unwittingly, Steve Roth really hitched his wagon to the wrong horse.

FindingNamo
#37Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/13/20 at 2:31am

Pre-covid, I have had to eat the cost of three high-priced (for me) concerts that could only be picked up at the box office day of show by me with photo ID and the credit card used for purchase. These shows were sold way in advance and three different work commitments required me to miss the shows. Each of them had sold out quickly. I was without recourse. One was a front-row center balcony ticket for Neutral Milk Hotel's farewell tour.  The venue or Ticketmaster would have resold it in an instant but the rules said this could not be done.

I wonder what the protocol will be for people who have bought tickets in advance and test positive for Covid 73 hours before the show. I know big shows are all a big logistic scheme for bands and staffs and audience alike, but man, what could be more spontaneous rock and roll than a doctor's note?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Fosse76
#38Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/13/20 at 4:57pm

FindingNamo said: "I wonder what the protocol will be for people who have bought tickets in advance and test positive for Covid 73 hours before the show. I know big shows are all a big logistic scheme for bands and staffs and audience alike, but man, what could be more spontaneous rock and roll than a doctor's note?"

You'll be forced to buy the "can't attend for any reason" insurance which, conveniently, won't apply to your reason anyway. 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#39Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/13/20 at 5:18pm

This will never work. Just because you don't have covid one day doesn't mean you won't have it the next. Or have come in contact with someone who does. I'm not about to run out for a covid test every time I want to buy tickets to an event. Once they come out with a vaccine, it would make more sense to provide proof that you've been vaccinated.

Lisalemann
#40Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/16/20 at 5:02pm

Luscious said: "This will never work. Just because you don't have covid one day doesn't mean you won't have it the next. Or have come in contact with someone who does. I'm not about to run out for a covid test every time I want to buy tickets to an event. Once they come out with a vaccine, it would make more sense to provide proof that you've been vaccinated."

Absolutely agree!  The tests - especially the rapid ones - are wildly inaccurate right now - so it would be pointless.  Maybe the vaccination - but I would still think the enforcement of this would tread onto HIPPA territory and I would not be crazy about a large corporation having my health details in their files. And no ticket resales?  Yeah...right - I'll believe it when I see it...

hk2021
#41Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/17/20 at 12:45pm

Hello, I just rejoined after several years- I am not sure how TM would have the time to monitor everyone going in. I kept 3 Billy Joel concerts at MSG and wonder how they would time delay entry, etc.. I don't even think they are taking place late 2021 but am hoping at some point they happen.

FindingNamo
#42Ticketmaster to require vaccine or negative covid tests to attend concerts
Posted: 11/17/20 at 1:40pm

Sounds about right, Fosse.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none