pixeltracker

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread- Page 4

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread

jimmycurry01
#75Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/30/21 at 11:15pm

Ravenclaw said: "This may be a bonkers idea, but is there any chance at all of Liza Minnelli as Morrible? The angle of Judy Garland's daughter in theWizard of Ozspinoff/prequel is a thought. I have no idea how she's doing health-wise these days, and I know she hasn't been working much in recent years."

Liza has already done a Wizard of oz spinoff/sequel as Dorothy, with Ethel Merman playing Mombi. Since she has already been down that yellow brick road once, she may not feel it necessary to do it again. 

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#76Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/30/21 at 11:15pm

Globefan said: "Emmy Rossum?"

Oh yeah, she would be a good choice. She has said that her vocals in Phantom were lacking because of how young she was and that she didn't have the proper training she would get later on. Her vocals have improved beautifully since 2004, I would love to see her in a movie musical again with the training she did get.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#77Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/31/21 at 4:25pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Ravenclaw said: "This may be a bonkers idea, but is there any chance at all of Liza Minnelli as Morrible? The angle of Judy Garland's daughter in theWizard of Ozspinoff/prequel is a thought. I have no idea how she's doing health-wise these days, and I know she hasn't been working much in recent years."

Liza has already done a Wizard of oz spinoff/sequel as Dorothy, with Ethel Merman playing Mombi. Since she has already been down that yellow brick road once, she may not feel it necessary to do it again.
"

With Margaret Hamilton playing Aunt Em no less! 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#78Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/31/21 at 4:32pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Ravenclaw said: "This may be a bonkers idea, but is there any chance at all of Liza Minnelli as Morrible? The angle of Judy Garland's daughter in theWizard of Ozspinoff/prequel is a thought. I have no idea how she's doing health-wise these days, and I know she hasn't been working much in recent years."

"

Even IF Liza wanted to play Morrible, a lot would need to be accommodated as she physically is no longer capable to move as freely as she once did.  She’s wheelchair bound and when making public appearances, she needs to be seated.  Lucky Morrible isn’t a big singing role so that she can accommodate but the old solid Liza voice is no longer there.

This is Liza this past March on her birthday:

BwayLB
#79Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/31/21 at 5:38pm

Musical Master said: "Globefan said: "Emmy Rossum?"

Oh yeah, she would be a good choice. She has said that her vocals in Phantomwere lacking because of how young she was and that she didn't have the proper training she would get later on. Her vocals have improved beautifully since 2004, I would love to see her in a movie musical again with the training she did get.
"

But as who?

Globefan
#80Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/31/21 at 6:20pm

Emmy as Glinda 

BwayLB
#81Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/31/21 at 6:31pm

^ I never finished Phantom but I’m open to Emmy as Glinda if what you say about her vocal improvements is true

Globefan
#82Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/31/21 at 6:44pm

My top 3 for Glinda are Brittany Johnson, Emmy Rossum and Amanda Seyfried 

Globefan
#83Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/12/21 at 6:44pm

Jon M. Chu said he's not at the point to cast people yet 

sherie_worshipper Profile Photo
sherie_worshipper
#84Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 6:17am

Time to hire a new director, Universal.

Mrtrobz
#85Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 7:23am

I sort of thought the same thing to be honest. I wasn't a fan of the direction of In the Heights and failed to see how any of the work on the could translate to a bigger scale production like Wicked. Maybe I'm just a cynic but I feel like Rob Marshall should've made Wicked.

Globefan
#86Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 11:12am

Mrtrobz said: "I sort of thought the same thing to be honest. I wasn't a fan of the direction of In the Heights and failed to see how any of the work on the could translate to a bigger scale production like Wicked. Maybe I'm just a cynic but I feel like Rob Marshall should've made Wicked."

I still judge Chu based on Crazy Rich Asians, which I loved 

briankershawjr
#87Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 12:50pm

First off I loved In the Heights....I think a lot of the reasoning behind the movie not being well received is this musical is not well know. Also I think there really is not any tunes you keep on singing. 

Jon Chu did a good job with this musical, my opinion. I will add some wanted to musical stage production to be the film, kinda like what they did with My Fair Lady...I am sad to say that will not be happening. Also from what I read from report/interviews done with Stephen Schwartz the film version of Wicked will be different then the stage production, just like In the Heights. 

Give Jon Chu a chance with Wicked, 50% will like what he does and 50% will not like it because of who's in it, or what direction he goes. He and Universal can not please everyone, sorry that is the truth . If you love the stage production go support it and buy a ticket. 

I also believe that Universal will stand behind Jon Chu as the director. If they don't I honestly believe this movie will never get made, period. We are on its 2nd director!

I will add I think Dear Evan Hansen will have people who will hate the movie and those who love it, again you can not please everyone. 

sherie_worshipper
#88Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 1:32pm

It’s not about pleasing people. It’s about being a good director.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#89Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 2:17pm

And after directing two critically acclaimed films, I think he’ll be ok on that front…

JSquared2
#90Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 2:20pm

sherie_worshipper said: "It’s not about pleasing people. It’s about being a good director."

Any particular reason you're making all of your posts into half-pagers?    

Musical Master
#91Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 9:26pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "And after directing two critically acclaimed films, I think he’ll be ok on that front…"

100% agreed.

I don't think the underperformance is going to bug him, plus Wicked is a much different beast than In The Heights so I think this musical is in good hands.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#92Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 9:35pm

^It's not about him, it's about the studio execs and money.

Musical Master
#93Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/14/21 at 9:41pm

Hit the nail right on the head.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread

Updated On: 6/14/21 at 09:41 PM

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#94Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/21 at 3:42pm

After seeing In The Heights, it's clear that Chu's Wicked will be garish and overwrought... if it happens

hearthemsing22
#95Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/21 at 4:24pm

I’ll be fine as long as he doesn’t cast Grande, Anna Kendrick (sorry, just don’t see her in this), Lea Michele (no thank you!)

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#96Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/21 at 6:59pm

JSquared2 said: "Any particular reason you're making all of your posts into half-pagers?"

i believe it happens because their photo of Sherie Scott is very long but agreed it's irritating

hearthemsing22 said: "I’ll be fine as long as he doesn’t cast Grande, Anna Kendrick (sorry, just don’t see her in this), Lea Michele (no thank you!)"

Lea would have been perfect for it a decade or so ago but that ship sailed especially with her controversies last year regarding her behavior with her fellow castmates on Glee

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

sherie_worshipper
#97Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/21 at 10:30pm

aliceripleyofficial said: "After seeing In The Heights, it's clear thatChu's Wicked will be garish and overwrought... if it happens"

Exactly.

(By the way, I love my irritatingly long photo of Sherie René Scott. Deal with it.)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#98Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/21 at 10:37pm

I love your photo, don't worry about someone as miserable as the poster who bitched about it Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread

I think he is perfect for this movie since I know his style now after two really enjoyable films. 

Musical Master
#99Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/21 at 1:02am

Sutton Ross said: "I think he is perfect for this movie since I know his style now after two really enjoyable films."

Agreed, Wicked is not what I would call a subtle musical, his style is what's needed. Plus I think after Crazy Rich Asians and In The Heights, I can forgive Jon Chu for that catastrophe called Jem and the Holograms.