pixeltracker

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread- Page 3

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread

Philly Theater Girl
#50MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/11/21 at 12:37pm

bwaylady3 said: "Aaron's attendance rate is extremely high.Prior to the pandemic, I don't think he missed any dates aside from a scheduled vacation that was announced well in advance. Assuminghe remains healthy,I think you're odds are high he will be there. If you are looking beyond the new year, you may want to wait and see if any vacation dates are posted.I also heard he was only committed thru early Spring."

You are correct. Prior to the pandemic, Aaron and Ricky Rojas had a 'competition' of who had the best attendance. Except for vacations, I think they were in every performance going back to the Boston run. 

helso1
#51MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/12/21 at 11:43am

Oh that's great, thank you both for your replies! Very much appreciated! I'll keep my fingers crossed MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread

Thanks again x

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#52MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/13/21 at 10:47am

Philly Theater Girl said: "You are correct. Prior to the pandemic, Aaron and Ricky Rojas had a 'competition' of who had the best attendance. Except for vacations, I think they were in every performance going back to the Boston run."

Ironically, Ricky Rojas was out last night and Julius Anthony Rubio got to make his Broadway principal debut as Santiago! *claps*

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jo
#53MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/14/21 at 1:14am

Someone from another show about to open came to see MR --

https://twitter.com/GlobalCreatures/status/1448514986402201608?s=20

Hairspray0901
#54MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/14/21 at 7:12am

everythingtaboo said: "Philly Theater Girl said: "You are correct. Prior to the pandemic, Aaron and Ricky Rojas had a 'competition' of who had the best attendance. Except for vacations, I think they were in every performance going back to the Boston run."

Ironically, Ricky Rojas was out last night andJulius Anthony Rubio got to make his Broadway principal debut as Santiago! *claps*
"

Also ironic because Aaron was out last night, too! I believe Ricky was out 2 in a row

bwaylady3
#55MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/14/21 at 10:32am

Yeah, it seems that at least for now, management is encouraging their teams and talent to call in sick if they are not well vs toughing it out and possibly exposing others. Hopefully, that encouragement "sticks" for the health and well-being of everyone. However, there still seems to be a "bug" going around that company - lots of new faces making their debuts / re-debuts this week per Instagram. 

Kuddos to the understudies and swings who are getting their time to shine!

Freakyfreak
#56MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/15/21 at 12:54pm

Someone knows when tickets for May will be available? 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#57MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/15/21 at 1:04pm

Julius and Aaron Finley were great the other night, but I did miss Ricky and Aaron Tveit! 

Hairspray0901
#58MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 2:06pm

I follow a MR fan page on Instagram as they always seem to post understudy announcements, as well as a few cast members. I noticed Ashley Loren has been on since Sunday, doing Sun, Tues, Weds, and now Thursday’s performances. Hope Mendoza is okay!

ellbellthomps
#59MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 2:11pm

Anyone know any info about SRO, or rush? Some people have been getting there at 5am for rush priced tickets, but there's literally no information online. From talking to the people I passed by, there are only 3-4 a show. 

Sutton Ross
#60MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 2:15pm

Hairspray0901 said: "I follow a MR fan page on Instagram as they always seem to post understudy announcements, as well as a few cast members. I noticed Ashley Loren has been on since Sunday, doing Sun, Tues, Weds, and now Thursday’s performances. Hope Mendoza is okay!"

Would you mind sharing that fan page? Much appreciated! 

Hairspray0901
#61MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 2:22pm

Sutton Ross said: "Hairspray0901 said: "I follow a MR fan page on Instagram as they always seem to post understudy announcements, as well as a few cast members. I noticed Ashley Loren has been on since Sunday, doing Sun, Tues, Weds, and now Thursday’s performances. Hope Mendoza is okay!"

Would you mind sharing that fan page? Much appreciated!

"

It’s called MoulinRougeFanFanFans on Instagram

Sutton Ross
#62MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 2:24pm

Thanks!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#63MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 7:14pm

For what it's worth... caught Ashley Loren on for Satine last night and like many others before me have said, she is OUTSTANDING in the role. I honestly don't see how anyone could be better than her in the role. Looks like she is on again tonight as well.

Hairspray0901
#64MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/22/21 at 2:16pm

Per Instagram, Ashley is on again tonight!

bwaylady3
#65MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 10/25/21 at 9:17pm

Saw the show Friday night and even without Natalie or Tam, it was a terrific performance. While I was disappointed to miss Natalie, Ashley sounded amazing. From Aaron, Danny and Sahr to the many fresh faces in the ensemble, it was a fun night! 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#66MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/7/21 at 5:40pm

I saw the show yesterday afternoon and my god, what a ball I had. 

I was sitting in the orchestra in Row F, Seat 12 and was basically on stage and had several moments where cast members were within inches of me and Aaron made his entrance on my side of the stage during the pre-show. 

I love the movie and the show does a great job of honoring the movie but also giving itself the opportunity to stand on its own. 

I loved Natalie's Satine a lot. I didn't get the chance to see the show prior to Karen's departure, but I felt like Natalie was really perfect. She was over the top and fabulous when needed, but also introspective and fragile. I loved her voice and felt it fit the score so well and her Firework was beautiful. I met up with friends of mine who saw Karen and Natalie and they all seem to prefer Karen, but I just found Natalie to be delightful. 

TONY WINNER (!!!) Danny Burstein steals every second he's on stage and his energy and presence is unmatched. I loved his chemistry with Natalie and their relationship being incredibly complicated but also having elements of a father/daughter dynamic especially as Satine's condition worsens. I'm obsessed with him singing Chandelier. 

Aaron Tveit has always been someone I really like and feel like he's deserved more credit (ie: Tony nomination for Catch Me If You Can) than he's gotten, but he's leaving it all on the stage in Moulin Rouge. His voice has never sounded better and he's added little inflections and options up that friends of mine told me he just started doing post reopen. He seems to be loving every second of being in this show and you can completely tell. 

Robyn was out and Kara DiNardo was on as Nini and I thought she was great and her dancing was absolutely incredible. She and Ricky had great chemistry during Backstage Romance. 

Ricky and Sahr were both really great and I loved Sahr's character's connection to Satine. Tam is very attractive and just oozes money, charisma, and charm. 

The entire ensemble is just living every second they are on stage and it briefly crossed my mind regarding the cast members having had Covid at one point and how incredible it must feel to be healthy and back on stage performing this show. 

The book is hardly anything to write home about, but the way the songs are used and mashed up is so fun. It's pure escapism at its finest with so many bells, whistles, and spectacle.  

I was grinning the entire time under my ask and I honestly cannot wait to go back again because it was just an absolute blast. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 11/7/21 at 05:40 PM

everythingtaboo
#67MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/12/21 at 1:01pm

First off, at the end of intermission, everyone was applauding someone in the mezzanine. Was there someone famous there last night? 

Saw the show last night, and basically ClumsyDude15 said! A total feast for the eyes and the ears!

Last time I saw the show was in Boston, so I was curious to see if the magic really did come to life on Broadway, and if they really did make the necessary changes. For the most part, yes and yes! 

While the book is still cringe and creaky in spots, they thankfully cut out Shake It Out and gave Danny the Chandelier number, because that portion of the show was painful. I also appreciate the changes to the death going into the finale. It still goes on a bit long for me, but it felt much improved from Boston.

Aaron was fine in Boston, but his character started the show so coldly, I didn't want him to be the narrator. Now it's much improved. His character feels welcoming and we feel the heart beating inside from the start. And his pipes, damn they are amazing. How we can deliver like that on a Thursday just astounds me.

Natalie Mendoza, who looking back I didn't realize was the Satine understudy in Boston, was fantastic. Great acting choices and a great voice. (I do feel she delivers her dying speech a little loudly though, like, aren't you dying?)  While she doesn't quite own the stage like Olivo did, I think it's actually for the better, the chemistry between she and Aaron feels much more balanced and realistic, and I felt myself rooting for them a lot more.

Sahr Ngaujah was such a standout, he was out last night, and was missed; but Olutayo Bosede was on for Toulouse, did a nice job. Tam, Robyn, Ricky are still fantastic as always. (I think I actually enjoyed Tam this time more, there was something different, perhaps a little more human, than Boston.) The ensemble was wonderful, and while Max Clayton's thighs are missed, Giovanni Bonaventura replacement gams are a nice sight.

I do love what they did with the Hirschfeld, though I will say the set extending past the proscenium feels a bit cramped. I was in the Row N of the orchestra and while they did a great job extending the feeling of the set, it didn't quite make up for only being able to see the bottom half of the elephant. So I do wish the auditorium had a more balanced sightlines. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#68MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/12/21 at 1:16pm

Natalie Mendoza was not in the Boston production. She was, however, China Doll in the film. You may be confusing her with Natalie Cortez?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

everythingtaboo
#69MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/12/21 at 1:52pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Natalie Mendoza was not in the Boston production. She was, however, China Doll in the film. You may be confusing her with Natalie Cortez?"

Oops, possibly? I was looking at the Boston run thread and I think someone put Mendoza instead of Cortez. I guess that's why it was a surprise reading it back! 

saxpower
#70MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/12/21 at 2:32pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "I saw the show yesterday afternoon and my god, what a ball I had.

I was sitting in the orchestra in Row F, Seat 12 and was basically on stage and had several moments where cast members were within inches of me and Aaron made his entrance on my side of the stage during the pre-show.

I love the movie and the show does a great job of honoring the movie but also giving itself the opportunity to stand on its own.

I loved Natalie's Satine a lot. I didn't get the chance to see the show prior to Karen's departure, but I felt like Natalie was really perfect. She was over the top and fabulous when needed, but also introspective and fragile. I loved her voice and felt it fit the score so well and her Firework was beautiful. I met up with friends of mine who saw Karen and Natalie and they all seem to prefer Karen, but I just found Natalie to be delightful.

TONY WINNER (!!!) Danny Burstein steals every second he's on stage and his energy and presence is unmatched. I loved his chemistry with Natalie and their relationship being incredibly complicated but also having elements of a father/daughter dynamic especially as Satine's condition worsens. I'm obsessed with him singing Chandelier.

Aaron Tveit has always been someone I really like and feel like he's deserved more credit (ie: Tony nomination for Catch Me If You Can) than he's gotten, but he's leaving it all on the stage in Moulin Rouge. His voice has never sounded better and he's added little inflections and options up that friends of mine told me he just started doing post reopen. He seems to be loving every second of being in this show and you can completely tell.

Robyn was out and Kara DiNardo was on as Nini and I thought she was great and her dancing was absolutely incredible. She and Ricky had great chemistry during Backstage Romance.

Ricky and Sahr were both really great and I loved Sahr's character's connection to Satine. Tam is very attractive and just oozes money, charisma, and charm.

The entire ensemble is just living every second they are on stage and it briefly crossed my mind regarding the cast members having had Covid at one point and how incredible it must feel to be healthy and back on stage performing this show.

The book is hardly anything to write home about, but the way the songs are used and mashed up is so fun. It's pure escapism at its finest with so many bells, whistles, and spectacle.

I was grinning the entire time under my ask and I honestly cannot wait to go back again because it was just an absolute blast.
"

I was actually at the same performance!   Amazing show.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#71MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/12/21 at 3:21pm

I have tickets for next Tuesday. I hope Aaron and Danny will be in.

Wayman_Wong
#72MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/14/21 at 3:27am

Thanks, ClumsyDude15 and everythingtaboo, for your detailed updates of ''Moulin Rouge!'' I love the show, so I was thrilled it won so many Tonys, and especially for Aaron Tveit. He's amazing. I don't know how he finds the stamina to sing that score on any given night, let alone multiple times during the week. I have a blast everytime I see ''Moulin Rouge!'' and can't wait to catch Natalie Mendoza, too. I hope it's filmed for streaming. That would be ''spectacular, spectacular''!

Updated On: 11/14/21 at 03:27 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#73MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 8:27pm

Intermission now. Ashley Loren is in as Satine. Its a great show. Having a blast.

ArtMan
#74MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 8:36pm

poisonivy2 said: "Intermission now. Ashley Loren is in as Satine. Its a great show. Having a blast."

Did you get your "hope"?