Cyrano at BAM

vls15
#25Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 7:13pm

I feel conflicted about these rush tickets. Would I love a chance to sit this close to the actors for just $10? You bet! Is it a good idea to give everyone, regardless of their means, an opportunity to secure the best seats in the house? Yes! Do I think it's unfair to put another row of seats, even if they are cushions, in front of those who paid a pretty penny to have an unobstructed view of the stage? That's also a "yes." BTW, I saw a photo in which there was a tall person wearing a hat in one of those onstage seats. I am certain he blocked the view of the person behind him. So I am happy for those who get to enjoy this incredible deal but also a bit sad for anyone who bought Row A center tickets. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#26Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 9:23pm

Rush or lottery tickets in the front row are not exactly a foreign concept. The same argument could be made for when the lottery seats for Book of Mormon or Wicked were front row center (for roughly $30) and the row directly behind were $200-450 premiums at peak times for those shows where heads were in your direct line of sight. Cyrano rush seats are literally on the floor and are not blocking any one’s view! 

Updated On: 4/11/22 at 09:23 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#27Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 9:40pm

Until they stand up at curtain call, and are totally in the way. The difference is that the people who bought the second or third row for other shows at premium prices knew that people would be sitting in front of them, regardless of how much they were paying. Not so in this case.

Updated On: 4/11/22 at 09:40 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#28Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 9:46pm

So much to-do about these floor seats! BAM has been doing this for years, for their most popular productions. They don't block the view. 

If anyone is so unwilling have a human being within their field of vision, even one that doesn't block the view of the stage, might I suggest National Theatre at Home? 

iluvtheatertrash
#29Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 9:47pm

vls15 said: "I feel conflicted about these rush tickets. Would I love a chance to sit this close to the actors for just $10? You bet! Is it a good idea to give everyone, regardless of their means, an opportunity to secure the best seats in the house? Yes! Do I think it's unfair to put another row of seats, even if they are cushions, in front of those who paid a pretty penny to have an unobstructed view of the stage? That's also a "yes." BTW, I saw a photo in which there was a tall person wearing a hat in one of those onstage seats. I am certain he blocked the view of the person behind him. So I am happy for those who get to enjoy this incredible deal but also a bit sad for anyone who bought Row A center tickets."

Boohoo. Eat the rich.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#30Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:45pm

vls15 said: "I feel conflicted about these rush tickets. Would I love a chance to sit this close to the actors for just $10? You bet! Is it a good idea to give everyone, regardless of their means, an opportunity to secure the best seats in the house? Yes! Do I think it's unfair to put another row of seats, even if they are cushions, in front of those who paid a pretty penny to have an unobstructed view of the stage? That's also a "yes." BTW, I saw a photo in which there was a tall person wearing a hat in one of those onstage seats. I am certain he blocked the view of the person behind him. So I am happy for those who get to enjoy this incredible deal but also a bit sad for anyone who bought Row A center tickets."

Thanks for joining today to express your sorrow for the poor (rich) people who might be slightly inconvenienced.  

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

blueshadows
#31Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/11/22 at 11:53pm

Saw the show on the weekend and it was amazing. Poetic, funny, tragic and deeply romantic. Such an original and daring take on a well-known story. The cast is great. James McAvoy is mesmerizing and immensely talented, his performance is real, raw, powerful, charismatic and deeply moving. I know the production is not eligible for the Tonys but I hope McAvoy gets some other type of award recognition for his incredible performance.

The night I saw the show audience reaction was great. If anyone has a chance to go, please do.

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 11:53 PM

NJGUY
#32Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 8:39am

For those on the fence about seeing this production, here is some pricing data.  I scoured the site hard last week and found two seats K 6 and K8 for $120 each.  Felt sort of satisfied, as the seat next to that, K4 was priced at $180.  Looking to add to my seating, I went to the site yesterday and looked for seats near where I bought mine, and the $120 seats are now $185 and that $180 seat is now $265.  Economics.. 

vls15
#33Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 10:43am

ClydeBarrow said: "vls15 said: "I feel conflicted about these rush tickets. Would I love a chance to sit this close to the actors for just $10? You bet! Is it a good idea to give everyone, regardless of their means, an opportunity to secure the best seats in the house? Yes! Do I think it's unfair to put another row of seats, even if they are cushions, in front of those who paid a pretty penny to have an unobstructed view of the stage? That's also a "yes." BTW, I saw a photo in which there was a tall person wearing a hat in one of those onstage seats. I am certain he blocked the view of the person behind him. So I am happy for those who get to enjoy this incredible deal but also a bit sad for anyone who bought Row A center tickets."

Thanks for joining today to express your sorrow for the poor (rich) people who might be slightly inconvenienced.
"

Wow, guys, thanks for the warm welcome! And by the way, I do know a person who has a front-row center seat and will be traveling from another state to see the play: elderly, disabled and far from being rich. It's supposed to be a special treat for her as she's been unwell lately and is a big McAvoy fan. And yes, I do feel sad for her because her view will be blocked as she won't be able to get up from her seat at the curtain call. But it looks like these types of arguments fall on deaf ears here: "I don't know if I was impeding anyone's view but I really didn't care."

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 10:43 AM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#34Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 2:05pm

Yep!

If they want to do it, fine. But I feel like they need to be more transparent about it. I get it may be a "known thing" for other BAM attendees, but I'm sure for some it's a new experience. I know for me part of the reason I'm willing to pay more for front row (within reason) is because I get nervous with other people in front of me. (Not to mention easily distracted by any movement in front of me.) So to have people at my feet, it would just weird me out, it would just feel uncomfortable. Most people don't like to be first row, but those that do, it's not just because they can. So they needed this to be clearer in their seating plan from the start.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#35Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 2:34pm

The Harvey is not a transfer friendly house, I don't know why productions keep agreeing to it. The producers clearly saw the large gap in between the edge of the proscenium and first row of seats, and knew they could fit more people in. How they went about it is clearly ruffling feathers.

A more conscious approach could've been adding a row of freestanding chairs, and moving all existing row A buyers to those seats, and re-sell the old Row A as obstructed view due to heads. But even in that obstructed picture on page 1, it's clear that these folks ~literally sitting on the floor~ are not obstructing anyones view. 

Sitting in row A does not guarantee you air rights between your seat feet and the proscenium. I know it is often assumed, but the folks sitting on the floor in front of you are hardly robbing you of anything.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#36Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 2:55pm

A couple people have mentioned curtain call - sure, it's nice to be able to see the curtain call, but the curtain call is not the show. People pay to see the show, and the show is not obstructed.

As for other quibbles with having people in front of you at your feet - sure, I get not being thrilled about it, but it doesn't strike me as a serious enough issue that the venue should be responsible for it.

If enough people feel this strongly about it, then sure, I guess it would be smart of BAM to put a little notice on the online ticket page when you're buying those seats. It would be an easy enough change on their end, so sure, I'd endorse that if it would make people feel better.

But I'd guess there's a reason they haven't felt the need to do that after many years of doing this practice - it's probably because people are actually fine with it. Have any of the dissenters in this thread actually SAT in those front row sea while the floor seats were there? 

vls15
#37Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 4:09pm

I would respectfully disagree and argue that while the curtain call may not be part of the play, it is an important part of the show/experience, especially for hardcore fans who overcome physical distances and ailments for an opportunity to see their favorite actor up close.

But I do agree with those who have mentioned transparency. Frankly, that's the biggest issue for me. There is no mention of these on-stage seats if you go to the official BAM page. As you know, these tickets were added last minute and are sold exclusively through TodayTix (I assume the website has made a deal with the theater). I think those who are considering the front-row center seats, for whatever reason, need to be aware that their assumption that they will have an unobstructed view of the stage at all times may be erroneous. And while I have not been in that theater yet, I have seen plenty of photos on social media to argue that the Row A Center view may be obstructed especially if you have someone tall sitting in front of you who doesn't even have the common courtesy to remove his hat.

As I said earlier, I am all for providing access to live shows for all income brackets, but why not set aside a few rush tix in Row A if that's the goal here instead of putting people on cushions in front of the existing first row seats?

I am supposed to attend the show in a few days-- first row of the balcony. My assumption is that there will be no hovering cushions in the air in front of that row. But perhaps that's erroneous, too?

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 04:09 PM

JasonC3
#38Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 4:43pm

I don't think it is too much to ask that a seating chart will reflect all seats knowingly being sold.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#39Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 4:45pm

www.bam.org/contactus

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#40Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 4:54pm

JBroadway said: "www.bam.org/contactus"

HA!

@vls15 Serious question, why did you join? Just to let everyone know your elderly out of town James McAvoy fan friend might have someone in their way?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

vls15
#41Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 5:26pm

There are multiple reasons why I joined, one of them being an opportunity to have a constructive conversation about an issue that I found to be of interest. However, I did not join this board to be bullied by someone who for some reason feels threatened by the views of a complete stranger.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#42Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 7:31pm

vls15 said: "There are multiple reasons why I joined, one of them being an opportunity to have a constructive conversation about an issue that I found to be of interest. However, I did not join this board to be bullied by someone who for some reason feels threatened by the views of a complete stranger."

Yeah that's something all regular readers here know, but probably should be in the fine print when you join BWW... "Please expect to be bullied by someone for some reason."

vls15
#43Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 8:06pm

inception said: Yeah that's something all regular readers here know, but probably should be in the fine print when you join BWW... "Please expect to be bullied by someone for some reason.""

:) It would be funny if it weren't so sad! There is already so much drama in the real word. So I don't understand the need to drag all the negativity and bitterness into a virtual space dedicated to theater-- a vehicle that is supposed to allow us to examine the world from multiple perspectives and promote tolerance.

Updated On: 4/12/22 at 08:06 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#44Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/12/22 at 8:08pm

JasonC3 said: "I don't think it is too much to ask that a seating chart will reflect all seats knowingly being sold."

I doubt anyone at BAM knew these seats would exist until literally a few days performances started and the producers requested seats be created to fill the gap between the edge of the stage and the front row. 

MemorableUserName
JasonC3
#47Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/14/22 at 9:25pm

VotePeron said: "JasonC3 said: "I don't think it is too much to ask that a seating chart will reflect all seats knowingly being sold."

I doubt anyone at BAM knew these seats would exist until literally a few days performances started and the producers requested seats be created to fill the gap between the edge of the stage and the front row.
"

Sure, but that doesn't explain why no info shows on the chart now.

MemorableUserName
#48Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/14/22 at 9:40pm

Five Stars from TimeOut:

James McAvoy is better than ever in Jamie Lloyd’s radical remake of a classic play

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/cyrano-bam-james-mcavoy-review

MemorableUserName
#49Cyrano at BAM
Posted: 4/14/22 at 10:03pm

Deadline is a rave:

"Think you’ve had enough Cyrano de Bergerac lately? Think again. Jamie Lloyd’s Olivier Award-winning production of the Edmond Rostand classic, starring James McAvoy in one of this theater season’s most riveting performances, is opening tonight in its U.S. premiere at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, and it’s a stunner."

https://deadline.com/2022/04/american-buffalo-cyrano-broadway-review-darren-criss-james-mcavoy-1235002080/