DIANA Reviews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/19/21 at 12:25pm

JennH said: "I'm planning on seeing Spencer which looks like it could actually be great in many respects, but once this show closes, and I imagine it'll be pretty fast, I reeeaalllyy think Princess Di should be allowed to rest in much deserved peace and not dredge up her corpse again and again, much like that one review stated. No one really has been able to get her story right, because it really is a tall order for all involved. There's just still a lot of unknowns surrounding it."

Unfortunately, no chance of that, as Diana will again be a major focus of the next season of The Crown next year.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

valebal7
#51DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/19/21 at 1:11pm

If we were to create a pool (similar to a baby pool), what date do you think Diana will close?  I'll be the first - January 3, 2022.  Any guesses??

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#53DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/19/21 at 4:50pm

valebal7 said: "If we were to create a pool (similar to a baby pool), what date do you think Diana will close? I'll be the first - January 3, 2022. Any guesses??"

The 2nd is a Sunday - I’ll go with that.

Oh look, a bibu!

Showhopper2
#54DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 12:41am

Jeanna on the bad reviews

Updated On: 11/20/21 at 12:41 AM

pmensky
#55DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 12:50am

Showhopper2 said: "Jeanna on the bad reviews"

This is not the correct link.

Showhopper2
#56DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 4:41am

pmensky said: "Showhopper2 said: "Jeanna on the bad reviews"

This is not the correct link.

Oops, Sorry!

This is the correct one: https://variety.com/2021/scene/news/diana-the-musical-frank-marshall-humor-1235115643/

I edited imy post. 

"

JGPR2
#57DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 8:54am

"Oh god, again to the Wicked martyrs, the show got nowhere near to a "critical onslaught". Most reviews had something positive to say about it."

Bingo. "Wicked" received "mixed" reviews like many other shows (Rent, Les Miserables) that went on to have huge success. I can't imagine critics saying something bad about the performances of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.

VintageSnarker
#58DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 4:01pm

“I’m intrigued why people think it’s great to make a really serious film about her, but really bad to make a light-hearted musical,” Waal said as the Rolls-Royce inched its way through Times Square. “They’re both produced privately for profit, and they’re both entertainment. So, why is one fine and the other isn’t?,” she asked. “The audiences who come to see our show, who wear tiaras and boo at Charles, are just as deserving of their entertainment as someone who wants to go to the movies and weep.”

“Look,” Frank Marshall, the show’s producer who last mounted “Escape to Margaritaville” on Broadway, said outside the theater before the performance on Wednesday. “This was never meant to be a serious study. This is one way of telling her story, and we have to face the reality that it was a tabloid story,” he said, echoing the first line spoken in the musical: “Was there ever a greater tabloid tale?”

So now they're saying it was always meant to be camp and crassly exploitative? Then why change some of the mocked lyrics?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#59DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 4:28pm

I haven't seen anyone criticizing the show for being un-serious. The criticism is that it is un-good. They are deflecting. As I asked above, what are they supposed to say? Campy is good. Lazy is bad. There is no excuse for lazy.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#60DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/20/21 at 4:59pm

"They're laughing with us, not at us!"

Showhopper2
#61DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 3:26am

Whatever the media is writing...... 

.......the audience seems to like what they see, and this is what really counts. 

Following their reaction on social media  almost all of them are positive. Some even go there 2 times / day,  Others already  bought tickets for many more additional shows they want to see.

I know, this is something many of you don't want to read, bec their mission is to hate it anyways, but if  you don't believe, go check by yourself.  

It's a show that works out live, no matter if you can stand it or not. 

And yes, I'm defending this show. Not bec it's perfect, but at the same same time, I wonder why some ppl, who haven't seen it live obviously, keep spreading hate for no reason.

Why is it an issue for you, that the people in the cast love what they do?  Who are you stating that  this can't be meant seriously and that they are lying?  Why do you dare?? 

I've talked to some Iof them openly,  and they all told  how much they enjoy their roles  the show and each other there. 

Why do you keep posting quotes out of context and quotes  being replaced in the actual show for weeks now? Is there a reason for it?

I know I will never get answers!

If you don't like it for some reason, it's fine, but what some of you do here is totally out of context. I've seen someone blogging on YouTube talking about the media. He called it mobbing, and that's what's going on here too. 

People who like it don't dare posting about it here anymore,  bec their opinion wouldn't be accepted or respected in any way. 

Some people would make them feel uncomfortable and kinda laughed at anyways. 

Instead of that they would have to justify themselves for their opinions, like I've been asked why I defend the show. I've been even called  being a liar and was even indicted  that I've created 100s of different accounts to write positive reviews about it on a certain site, I don't even remember now. What's wrong with you?? 

So,  why  is it kinda forbidden to like it here?

For some reason certain people don't miss an opportunity to spread negativity about it again and again , judging the actors,  spreading  untrue rumors and gossip, just to make the show look bad or make fun of it, and showing no respect for people working their asses off there. 

This is kindergarten-level. 

So I don't see a reason why to shut up and not sharing my point if view. I respect their work, and I respect this show for what it is. Not perfect, but enjoyable and fun, where people have a food time. They dance. They cheer. They like it obviously. They talk about it on Twitter and Co.

Or  do you also call them all being liars? 

....most likely you do..... 

You don't see how determined,  and hateful you are anymore... 

Updated On: 11/21/21 at 03:26 AM

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#62DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 5:47am

In other news ..... Anybody heard of the musical Diana and Sons now playing in The Netherlands. Diana en Zonen. 

Came upon it accidentally.  Don't understand a word but kinda looks interesting. Loving the sets and the song it's catching me.  Anyone up for a trip to Amsterdam...

I've never tried to attach a link, hope this works.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTp6ngPo3JD/?utm_medium=copy_link 

behindthescenes2
#63DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 9:39am

Wati...you mean that there is are critics who actually criticize?  What is the world coming to?  I mean, everyone seems to stand and applause the weakest of attempts, a buzzard ****, if you will, but to actually criticize something because it is terribly written, bland, grotesque in taste and has no point of value?  What is this new revolution?  No one is taking them to task for being negative and judgmental? 

Hmmm, how will they all live with themselves. 

Showhopper2
#64DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 9:49am

behindthescenes2 said: "Wati...you mean that there is are critics who actually criticize? What is the world coming to? I mean, everyone seems to stand and applause the weakest of attempts, a buzzard ****, if you will, but to actually criticize something because it is terribly written, bland, grotesque in taste and has no point of value? What is this new revolution? No one is taking them to task for being negative and judgmental?

Hmmm, how will they all live with themselves.
"

Criticizing I  am constructive way-yes!

But Criticizing before it's even released/opened, and Criticizing lines that aren't in the actual show anymore??? NO!!!  

THAT'S  the point!. Why taking them seriously? This is nothing but lame journalism on lowest level. 

ArtMan
#65DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 10:02am

Who gives a flying fuk what these random people like or don't like?  Not once have I ever paid money for something based on somebody else's opinion.  I purchased a ticket solely based on if I would like it.  The exception would be if the price was low enough, I would give it a chance.  (Flying Over Sunset) I find it interesting that Diana (which I liked for the most part) has terrible reviews, yet is selling just as good, and in some cases better then some of these shows that received raves from the critics.  Some of these shows that received raves have already closed or have announced their closing.  For whatever reason why Diana is selling, the bottom line is that it is selling.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 11:04am

ArtMan said: "Who gives a flying fuk what these random people like or don't like? Not once have I ever paid money for something based on somebody else's opinion. I purchased a ticket solely based on if I would like it. The exception would be if the price was low enough, I would give it a chance. (Flying Over Sunset) I find it interesting that Diana (which I liked for the most part) has terrible reviews, yet is selling just as good, and in some cases better then some of these shows that received raves from the critics. Some of these shows that received raves have already closed or have announced their closing. For whatever reason why Diana is selling, the bottom line is that it is selling."

Well, the bottom line is actually it's not selling. I'm on Telecharge right now looking at next weekend's performances- historically a good weekend for Broadway shows- and the houses all look to be at best half-full. The mezz and balcony are both ghost towns. And this seems to largely be case for the entire month of December- again, a very good time for Broadway. No one with familiarity with this business could look at these houses and think the show is in any sort of good place. It's being floated by a quickly dwindling reserve of money and has been kneecapped by bad word of mouth and bad reviews.  The baffling choice to release it first on Netflix basically shot it in the foot before it could even start.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/21/21 at 11:04 AM

Showhopper2
#67DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 11:51am

Kad said: "...... It's being floated by a quickly dwindling reserve of money and has been kneecapped by bad word of mouth and bad reviews. ....."

You better check social media, to see what people who've been there are sharing about the show....  Almost everyone is raving and  they keep coming back. 

For sure the bad reviews are hurting  the sales, but telling that word if mouth is bad, is just not true! - No matter if you like it, or not!! 

ArtMan
#68DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 11:53am

Well, the bottom line is actually it's not selling. I'm on Telecharge right now looking at next weekend's performances- historically a good weekend for Broadway shows- and the houses all look to be at best half-full. The mezz and balcony are both ghost towns. And this seems to largely be case for the entire month of December- again, a very good time for Broadway. No one with familiarity with this business could look at these houses and think the show is in any sort of good place. It's being floated by a quickly dwindling reserve of money and has been kneecapped by bad word of mouth and bad reviews. The baffling choice to release it first on Netflix basically shot it in the foot before it could even start."

When I made my comment it was based on looking at this Monday and Tuesday's performance.  And there are more than half full tickets sold.  I NEVER said this show is in any sort of good place.  I said IT IS SELLING JUST AS GOOD AS SHOWS THAT HAD RAVE REVIEWS, THAT ARE ALREADY CLOSING. However, based on people's comments on here and those rudely guessing their closing date, one would get the impression that they haven't sold a single ticket since the reviews came out.  If you were to state they purchased before the reviews came out, they can very easily cancel those tickets.  My main point of my post was who cares what critics state and who cares on bad word of mouth.  Make YOUR OWN decision whether to see something or not.

Updated On: 11/21/21 at 11:53 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#69DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 12:14pm

I went to see the show with 8 friends, only 1 didn't like it. We are 9 people and everyone loved it but 1. So critics, I hope you're reading this: you suck!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

JasonC3
#70DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 12:33pm

It has an average score of 65 from 128 reviews on Show Score. A lot of people beyond critics find the show underwhelming.

ArtMan
#71DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 12:45pm

So based on these "critics" and the other 63 people, I shouldn't purchase a ticket?  Tell that to the other sheep.  I say baaaahhh  humbug!

Updated On: 11/21/21 at 12:45 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#72DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 12:49pm

Showhopper2 said: "Kad said: "...... It's being floated by a quickly dwindling reserve of money and has been kneecapped by bad word of mouth and bad reviews. ....."

You better check social media, to see what people who've been there are sharing about the show.... Almost everyone is raving and they keep coming back.

For sure the bad reviews are hurting the sales, but telling that word if mouth is bad, is just not true! - No matter if you like it, or not!!
"

It, like basically ALL things, has a vocal contingent of fans on social media. If word of mouth were wholly positive outside of the self-selected circles of fans on social media, it would be selling tickets. One only has to look at something like the Beetlejuice musical, which overcame mixed to negative reviews and did very good business based largely on social media word of mouth, for how that would look. That isn't happening here.

(And also, WHERE on social media are these hordes of adoring fans? The official tag on Twitter - #ThePeoplesMusical- has very few posts. The official Twitter account has a measly 2500 followers- for comparison's sake, the Company revival has 9.6k).

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 12:50pm

ArtMan said: "So based on these "critics" and the other 63 people, I shouldn't purchase a ticket? Tell that to the other sheep. I say baaaahhh humbug!"

Literally nobody here is saying that. You're not some pillar of individuality for bravely deciding to buy a ticket based on your opinion. I would imagine that, y'know, most people do that.

Go see and enjoy whatever you want. That doesn't mean this production is making money.

Updated On: 11/21/21 at 12:50 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#74DIANA Reviews
Posted: 11/21/21 at 1:07pm

God, shut up. Not interested? Don't go. I just solved your problem. 

Videos