pixeltracker

March Recommendations for my 40th

March Recommendations for my 40th

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#1March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:11pm

We are finally coming back to NY. We had tickets to several shows that we weren't able to see just before COVID hit, so I'm thrilled we will be coming back in mid March.

It's also my 40th birthday and looking for recommendations to make it a great trip.

We have tickets for The Music Man Friday, March 18.

Current shows we have already seen: Aladdin, The Book of Mormon, Chicago, Come From Away, Dear Evan Hansen, Hadestown, Hamilton, The Lion King, The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked

Would really like to see another good musical or two and maybe a great play or two. Some great plays we enjoyed over the years: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Ferryman, Network, August Osage County.

Recommendations?

adotburr
#2March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:35pm

If you’re ok with off-Broadway, Little Shop of Horrors. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

kurtal
#3March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:54pm

I'll second the recommendation for Little Shop.  

Other strong recommendations:

Company Revival (It's fantastic)
Take Me Out (The original production was one of my favorites...very excited for this revival)
Sleep No More (immersive theatre if you're interested in that...it reopens in two weeks)

Not my favorite, but I'm in the minority:

Six
Moulin Rouge!

Both are light-hearted crowd-pleasers.  

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#4March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:59pm

COMPANY is a must see.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 2:47pm

One show I have been looking forward to is the musical  "Little Girl Blue". Don't know if you have any interest in Nina Simone but the show is about her. It is slated to start previews in early March off-Broadway.

Also for plays, maybe "Take Me Out".

Just give the world Love.

gibsons2
#6March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 3:01pm

Plaza Suite!

AllThatJazz2
#7March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 3:23pm

Company, for sure. It's fantastic. I'd also recommend Moulin Rouge - it really is a spectacle and just a fun time. 

theatretenor2
#8March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 3:42pm

gibsons2 said: "Plaza Suite!"

$800 for two tickets...for a show in previews? WOW.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 4:13pm

I would echo Company and Plaza Suite. Definitely seems like your demographic. I was wary, but I keep hearing really good things about MJ too. Sadly, I think you might be a bit too early for most other new things (April is going to CRAZY on Broadway). 

gibsons2
#10March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 4:43pm

theatretenor2 said: "gibsons2 said: "Plaza Suite!"

"

Not sure what tickets website you're looking at. There are plenty of non-premium tickets in orchestra and mezzanine for less than $200 for mid-March dates. I got a first row balcony ticket for myself for $119. Hudson theater balcony view is amazing. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#11March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 5:04pm

Go see Company!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#12March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 5:12pm

If it sticks to its schedule, Paradise Square will start previews on March 15th, and, while there's not a ton of buzz for the show, which got some great reviews in Chicago, I'm really looking forward to it, particularly Joaquina Kulakango's lead performance. Great prices for previews using code PRSOC1622 on Telecharge Offers, and the great thing about all the tickets you'll buy for this trip is that they're refundable.

Updated On: 1/31/22 at 05:12 PM

SingOutLouise3
#13March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 5:34pm

I echo the suggestions for Company. Patti is brilliant as always and I’m also still thinking of the performances by Jennifer Simard and Claybourne Elder… and one of my favorite scenes with Matt Doyle in “Getting Married Today”. I think the entire production is wonderful. 

I’m looking forward to seeing Suffs at The Public which starts previews in mid March. By Shaina Taub and has an incredible cast including Phillipa Soo, Jenn Colella, Nikki M. James, Grace McLean, Shaina and more. You can google some songs on YouTube. 

Prayer for the French Revolution by Joshua Harmon is at Manhattan Theater Club through the end of February. If it ends up extending I would consider this. A lot of good writing, great acting, 3 acts, over three hours. I saw very early previews  

Paradise Square is beginning previews mid March. There is a long thread you can look up on this chat board, included link below, about mixed feedback during the out of town run in Chicago. I’m keeping my eye on this one, heard some songs that interested me and I’m a fan of Joaquina Kalukango … and the rest of the cast sounds great on the clips I saw. 

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1126740 

Other shows on my radar, but I’m waiting to purchase based on the buzz once they start previews: Mr. Saturday Night previews begin mid March (I like Billy Crystal but more excited about Shoshana Bean… tickets were pricey for both Orchestra and Mezz, they hadn’t started tiering prices last time I looked last week), Funny Girl previews begin the end of March. 

based on what you have already seen I think these could be good options. 
Happy 40th

edit: I also saw Moulin Rouge and Six, both are high energy, entertaining.

Updated On: 1/31/22 at 05:34 PM

theatretenor2
#14March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 5:36pm

gibsons2 said: "theatretenor2 said: "gibsons2 said: "Plaza Suite!"

"

Not sure what tickets website you're looking at. There are plenty of non-premium tickets in orchestra and mezzanine for less than $200 for mid-March dates. I got a first row balcony ticket for myself for $119. Hudson theater balcony view is amazing.
"

Where are these prices? I was looking on the website for the show for the days we are there.

gibsons2
#15March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 1/31/22 at 6:55pm

theatretenor2 said: "gibsons2 said: "theatretenor2 said: "gibsons2 said: "Plaza Suite!"

"

"

Where are these prices? I was looking on the website for the show for the days we are there.
"

https://www.thehudsonbroadway.com/whatson/plaza-suite/

theatretenor2
#16March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:23am

TaffyDavenport said: "If it sticks to its schedule, Paradise Square will start previews on March 15th, and, while there's not a ton of buzz for the show, which got some great reviews in Chicago, I'm really looking forward to it, particularly Joaquina Kulakango's lead performance. Great prices for previews using code PRSOC1622 on Telecharge Offers, and the great thing about all the tickets you'll buy for this trip is that they're refundable."

Starts previews on my birthday. :) Will check it out. That's the day we arrive.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#17March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:28am

Company is not to be missed.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#18March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:29am

theatretenor2 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "If it sticks to its schedule, Paradise Square will start previews on March 15th, and, while there's not a ton of buzz for the show, which got some great reviews in Chicago, I'm really looking forward to it, particularly Joaquina Kulakango's lead performance. Great prices for previews using code PRSOC1622 on Telecharge Offers, and the great thing about all the tickets you'll buy for this trip is that they're refundable."

Starts previews on my birthday. :) Will check it out. That's the day we arrive.
"

Great! There are several videos on YouTube of songs from the show, but this is the one that sold me on it:

theatretenor2
#19March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:57am

One that we still haven't seen is Harry Potter. It was on our alternative list last trip, but we saw three other plays instead.

theatretenor2
#20March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/1/22 at 11:39pm

If you can see 3 of these 6, which would you prioritize?

Harry Potter

Company

Little Shop of Horrors

Take Me Out

Moulin Rouge

Plaza Suite

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#21March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/2/22 at 1:10am

theatretenor2 said: "If you can see 3 of these 6, which would you prioritize?

Harry Potter

Company

Little Shop of Horrors

Take Me Out

Moulin Rouge

Plaza Suite
"

My picks:

Company (Loved it!)

Take Me Out (I’m excited for this one even if I probably won’t be able to see it. They are apparently going to make some performances available to watch at home via livestream (if that helps, although I’d imagine they’ll choose to not show the nudity in the livestream)

Plaza Suite (I’m a huge SJP fan so that’s my main interest. YMMV) 

——————

I did really enjoy Little Shop…

I’m not a Harry Potter fan & refuse to give my money to anything than puts cash in the pocket of TERF JK Rowling. 

I’ve seen Moulin Rouge twice and loved it, but not sure how it will be with most of the OBC gone, especially Danny. 

gibsons2
#22March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/2/22 at 7:36am

I'd go with Company (a must!), Plaza Suite and Moulin Rouge. Natalie Mendoza is fantastic as Satine! Make sure you see her and under no circumstances get tickets for MR in mezzanine,  orchestra only, if you chooseto see it. Enjoy! 

Updated On: 2/2/22 at 07:36 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#23March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/2/22 at 8:51am

If you are in the mood for some comedy shows, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the new revival of COMPANY. I would also recommend Mrs. Doubtfire. It should be back from its hiatus by then. Definitely a good show from a classic film!

Moulin Rouge is absolutely SPECTACULAR (no pun intended)! Seen it twice and it never disappoints.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

yyys
#24March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:16am

Is Moulin Rouge really that good? Not really a fan of pop music or jukebox musicals....

Company is awesome, seen it 3 times.

Little Shop is very entertaining as well.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#25March Recommendations for my 40th
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:35am

yyys said: "Is Moulin Rouge really that good? Not really a fan of pop music or jukebox musicals....

Company is awesome, seen it 3 times.

Little Shop is very entertaining as well.
"

Moulin Rouge? ABSOLUTELY! If you loved the film, you will love the musical. You are taken on a journey the moment you step into the theatre! Derek McLain's set is simply stunning! The cast is incredible. If only you had seen Danny Burstein's performance as Harold Zidler. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Overall, the show is stunning! Highly recommend!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince