pixeltracker

Cock play. Broadway transfer?- Page 3

Cock play. Broadway transfer?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 6:17am

Don’t feel bad they definitely were not selling the ‘play’. There are tube ads that don’t even have the play name just the face and names of the stars (I recognise they probably couldn’t print the play name but still). This fiasco just illustrates one of the worst things about West End theatre and one of the major advantages of Broadway. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BoringBoredBoard40
#51Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 6:20am

As it is his photo is still featured on the actual ATG ticket calender page 

absolutely absurd 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 9:52am

Damnit I was so looking forward to seeing Taron.  

And this is the same thing with Jessie Buckley who decided she might show up some days to “Cabaret” and other days was like “Nah”. People were/are very vocal that you pay to see the show, not the star being used everywhere as the selling point. West End attitudes towards exchanges/refunds is the total opposite from here on Broadway. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#53Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 10:59am

They basically have been indoctrinated by greedy west end producers or have some weird fetish for being ripped off “oh yes please take my money please take it take it take it. Yes ill pay more to see Taron but if he isn’t there it’s my fault as an audience member I need to accept it’s my own fault please take my money just take it take it take it”

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#54Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:04am

Honest to God, reading Theatreboard that’s exactly what it’s like. 

Theatrefan2
#55Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:15am

Not all Brits think it's OK, in fact I'd argue most don't. It's just a few theatre fans acting superior. In fact it's a very arrogant attitude to say 'you're paying to see the show'.

There is a massive difference between an actor calling in sick for the odd performance, and the actor being removed completely from the production so you don't have a chance of getting to see them. 

The west end has got to a ridiculous stage, its not the days of £40 to £50 per ticket anymore. Shows with star names are sold at a huge premium to cover their higher salaries and to cash in on demand. You are literally paying for the name in the cost of your ticket, and the name is front and centre of all marketing. Same as when Glenn Close was in sunset and sheridan smith in funny girl.

Obviously we don't know why he has left, but the fact he fainted on the first night, has been off for a number of weeks supposedly with covid, has been very quiet on social media and in the statement there is no real warmth towards Taron from the producers or Jonathan Bailey makes me suspect its a stage fright issue, or something similar

Updated On: 4/2/22 at 11:15 AM

Damiensta
#56Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:33am

Edited- since, you are right and I sounded sanctimonious 
I was there first day that he was out n Understudy is very good. Bc of Bailey is worth seeing show. 

Hopefully, it’s not of illness and not something worse. He had dropped out of a film for same reason. 
Editted 
but yes, he is above name and producer should offer refund.

Updated On: 4/2/22 at 11:33 AM

Jordan Catalano
#57Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:39am

Imagine if…..

No. I don’t play that game. He dropped out and the show is refusing refunds. It doesn’t matter the reason why he dropped out, they are selling a product by advertising a specific person. If said person is no longer part of what they’re selling then they need to refund. The reason why is irrelevant. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#58Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:51am

Literally nobody in this thread has said anything bad about Egerton - only the producers. 

Jordan Catalano
#59Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:56am

JBroadway said: "Literally nobody in this thread has said anything bad about Egerton - only the producers."

But this is how the conversation ALWAYS goes esp on West End boards. Always. “Imagine if so and so is laying at home dead and you’re wondering about your money, you’re 100% going to hell and how dare you think about money when they could be suffering right now my God you’re awful”.

Dolly80
#60Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 3:11pm

Taron was EXCELLENT in the show. This is a huge shame. I hope he’s okay, but I also agree that people who were sold the show on HIS appearance should be allowed to get a refund if they wish. To deny that is pretty disgraceful. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#61Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 4:18pm

I hope he is okay and that's the only thing that matters. People should get over it, people leave shows all the time. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#62Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 4:23pm

They aren’t mutually exclusive you know. You can hope someone is ok while also asking the producers to refund people who didn’t get what they paid for. 

Dollypop
#63Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 5:02pm

I do hope they change the title of this play when it comes Stateside. As it is, it's most distateful.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Sutton Ross
#64Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 5:05pm

To whom? 

willep
#65Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 8:22pm

Dollypop said: "I do hope they change the title of this play when it comes Stateside. As it is, it's most distateful."

It’s already been stateside…

Dollypop
#66Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 8:42pm

Then let us sally forth in a crusade to change its name. We endured THE PUPPETRY OF THE PENIS. We shan't endure this!

JasonC3
#67Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 9:00pm

Not gonna be cucked by Cock. Leave the title as it is.

Dollypop
#68Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 9:50pm

Reasoning like that is what leads to people getting smacked during Oscar telecasts!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#69Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:02pm

The title sells tickets.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#70Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:12pm

Sutton Ross said: "I hope he is okay and that's the only thing that matters. People should get over it, people leave shows all the time."

People do not need to suck it up, this production has traded on his name from the start, its all over the advertising and many paid a fortune to see him. When he was out with Covid, producers refunded as they should since he is above title billed, then the day before they announce he's left the show they suddenly stop refunding. They knew they would be hit with a lot of refunds because they could no longer offer what they have spent months marketing.

It's utterly disgusting, and here in the UK we are just going in to a massive financial situation thanks to massive energy price rises, people do not need to be ripped off right now. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Sutton Ross
#71Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:48pm

I never suggested anyone suck it up, we are dealing with high energy prices in America too, Taron is really not big of an actor and there is nothing you can do about it.

Thanks so much though. Be best. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#72Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/3/22 at 12:42am

Sutton Ross said: "I never suggested anyone suck it up, we are dealing with high energy prices in America too, Taron is really not big of an actor and there is nothing you can do about it.

"

You literally said to “get over it.” 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#73Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/3/22 at 12:58am

n2nbaby said: "Sutton Ross said: "I never suggested anyone suck it up, we are dealing with high energy prices in America too, Taron is really not big of an actor and there is nothing you can do about it.

"

You literally said to “get over it.”
"

Yeah you're in the wrong. People should be outraged. It was touted on his name and now he's not there. If Daniel Craig cancelled people would be outraged. They put the show on his name and now it bit them in the ass. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#74Cock play. Broadwa
Posted: 4/3/22 at 3:50am

I also wonder if these practices are unlawful - there are clear guidelines that suggest the only way they can do this is if they put text on the actual posters saying no refunds or exchanges if there are understudies qualifying their claim that Taron is in the show. Hiding it in terms & conditions isn’t good enough and there have been rulings on this in other industries. Will explore options for someone to take action. 

Updated On: 4/3/22 at 03:50 AM