Cock play. Broadway transfer?

Theatrefanboy1
#1Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 9:29am

Has anyone heard any word if there are plays to transfer COCK to Broadway next season or something. With Marianne Elliots success with company I’d love to see Jonathan Bailey and taron transfer. Any word? Thoughts?

Id also be open to a TImothee Chalamet or Jonathan Groff casting 

troynow
#2Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 9:49am

Marianne's next project is Death of a Salesman going to the Hudson. This fall after Plaza Suite. I have heard COCK was after DOS.

Stephen75
#3Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 10:41am

With Wendell Pierce and Sharon Clarke? 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 10:47am

Would love for Egerton and Jade Anouka to transfer. I could take or leave Bailey. But yes, I hope it happens! 

If the Death of a Salesman rumors are accurate, I'm really happy to hear it! I thought it was a really strong production. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 10:52am

troynow said: "Marianne's next project is Death of a Salesman going to the Hudson. This fall after Plaza Suite. I have heard COCK was after DOS."

Very interesting that the long-rumored Nathan Lane and Laurie Metcalf Salesman that Rudin was formerly attached to is no longer happening. Elliott works wonders whatever she directs. 

Life is the most precious gift in the world... embrace every moment
Updated On: 2/20/22 at 10:52 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 11:02am

That SALESMAN was the best production of the play I’ve EVER seen. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 11:53am

Feels like Marianne Elliott is the hottest director on Broadway and West End right now!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#8Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:28pm

The praise for Elliott is fully warranted, and I realize the reason she's being discussed is that she's the common thread between these productions.

But as long as we're praising her work on Death of a Salesman, it's worth noting that the production was co-directed by Elliott with Miranda Cromwell. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#9Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 1:48pm

I doubt it will transfer since it's not a good play . 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:03pm

I thought it was a lot of fun off-Broadway. I'd be curious to see what Elliot does with it. Is Salesman a big production? Feel like she tends to lean into the production value - which I'm a huge fan of, but haven't seen her direct anything small scale.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#11Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:13pm

Sutton Ross said: "I doubt it will transfer since it's not a good play ."

It may or may not transfer but it is preposterous to say it is not a good play and that that is the reason why. It's fine for you to say you don't like it but in the context of a transfer, the reviews speak louder than your individual contrarian taste.

We see a lot of this sort of analytical confusion on this board and I never understand why people persist. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#12Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:29pm

HogansHero said: "Sutton Ross said: "I doubt it will transfer since it's not a good play ."

It may or may not transfer but it is preposterous to say it is not a good play and that that is the reason why. It's fine for you to say you don't like it but in the context of a transfer, the reviews speak louder than your individual contrarian taste.

We see a lot of this sort of analytical confusion on this board and I never understand why people persist.
"

yesyes

Non sibi sed patriae

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#13Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:39pm

binau said: "Feels like Marianne Elliottis the hottest director on Broadway and West End right now!!"

For good reason. I will never get over Curious Incident…it was a wow from start to finish.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#14Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:48pm

She’s a consistently excellent director who elevates flawed material and makes already great material work in new ways, so I’m sure whatever she and her producers want to bring to New York, they will. But Cock hasn’t even opened yet, so who knows if it’ll transfer.

I’d be very excited to see her co-production of Salesman though. I’ve never actually seen it live.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:53pm

Same! And I love to hear more about it.

Jordan Catalano
#16Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 3:07pm

I’d you thought Clarke was good in “Caroline”, she was even better in “Salesman”. But really that entire production was superb in every way. 

As for “Cock”, again the show hasn’t even started previews yet in London. And that cast, I would imagine, has a full film schedule after it closes this summer. So any talk of a transfer (with this cast at least) would depend on a lot of schedules matching up and a lot of advanced planning. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 3:24pm

For those of you who have seen multiple productions of Death of a Salesman, how different do they vary given how detailed Miller is about the set design/layout?

Jordan Catalano
#18Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 3:47pm

Are you asking how the set compares to the original production?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 4:04pm

Or just various productions. Like the last Broadway revival. Since Miller is pretty specific in his requests. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#20Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 4:06pm

The play itself felt stale when it played New York like a decade ago. 

Dan6
#21Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 4:34pm

Jordan Catalano said: "That SALESMAN was the best production of the play I’ve EVER seen."

I’d say far and away not only the best production of Salesman I’ve seen (and I saw the Dustin Hoffman, Brian Dennehy, and Philip Seymour Hoffman revivals), but one of the most memorable nights I’ve ever had in a theater. This is the first I’ve heard about it coming to NY…is it a good source? I would definitely see it again. 

Jordan Catalano
#22Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 4:40pm

After I saw the show, I spoke to Wendell Pierce and he said a transfer was possible. This was in 2019 before the world ended, so who knows what’s happening now. But at one point it was in discussion, at least. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#23Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 5:20pm

The production of Salesman wasn’t especially large in scale, but it did utilize the design elements to create certain visual motifs and devices that worked to create a distinct take on the play.

It was a great example of how visuals, and physical staging don’t have to just be about spectacle or aesthetic beauty; they can be legitimate storytelling tools when used intelligently.

The same goes for the color-conscious casting; this wasn’t just “a Black production of Death of a Salesman” - the casting was incorporated into the directorial vision, to explore themes of racism as they relate to the themes of Miller’s play.

If the text was altered at all, I either didn’t notice, or don’t remember.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#24Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 5:52pm

Getting back to the subject, I think that if bringing it to Broadway seems warranted, it would likely come with all, part, or none of the cast and in the fall. And I would think this would be a candidate for Circle, unless something is penciled in after AB already. 

JSquared2
#25Cock play. Broadway transfer?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 7:27pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Are you asking how the set compares to the original production?"

My ass still hurts from sitting on those sh*tty wooden blocks at the off-Broadway production!

Latest Posts