2022 Olivier Award nominations

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#22022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 4:29pm

I knew Cabaret was gonna get a bunch of nominations, but I was not expecting Cinderella to be completely shut out! Not even a nomination for Carrie? That was the big shocker! This may severely affect its chances of going to Broadway! On the other note for Cabaret, these nominations may increase the chance if an NYC transfer if producers are willing to bring it over.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 4:39pm

If anything, I’d think the nominations might help “Back to the Future” transfer. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#42022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 5:09pm

Was Roger Bart eligible? 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

joshdog2014
#52022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 5:23pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I was not expecting Cinderella to be completely shut out! Not even a nomination for Carrie? That was the big shocker! This may severely affect its chances of going to Broadway!"

Still not much, but it did get one nomination: Victoria Hamilton-Barritt as the stepmother for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Musical. 

https://www.playbill.com/article/eddie-redmayne-led-cabaret-revival-tops-2022-olivier-award-nominees

Updated On: 3/8/22 at 05:23 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#62022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 5:45pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I knew Cabaret was gonna get a bunch of nominations, but I was not expecting Cinderella to be completely shut out! Not even a nomination for Carrie? That was the big shocker! This may severely affect its chances of going to Broadway! On the other note for Cabaret, these nominations may increase the chance if an NYC transfer if producers are willing to bring it over."

Carrie just wasn't that great not a shocker and Cabaret is not transferring but Cinderrella is!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#72022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 5:45pm

blaxx said: "Was Roger Bart eligible?"

Who's Roger and what was he in?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jordan Catalano
#82022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 5:47pm

Roger Bart is Joshua Henry and he is in the Tick Tick Book movie. 

KevinKlawitter
#92022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 6:02pm

Robbie2 said: "blaxx said: "Was Roger Bart eligible?"

Who's Roger and what was he in?
"

He was Doc Brown in BTTF

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#102022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 6:09pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Roger Bart is Joshua Henry and he is in the Tick Tick Book movie."

Hey, we aren’t talking about the Face Awards, man…

Oh look, a bibu!

RW3
#112022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 8:03pm

'7 actors who play the Tiger' might be one of the funniest things I've read this year so far.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#122022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 8:33pm

Robbie2 said: "Carrie just wasn't that great not a shocker and Cabaret is not transferring but Cinderella is!"

Cabaret would do WAY better than Cinderella, as long as they find good stars and a perfect theatre, it can work. I can see Cabaret going to the Hudson. Cinderella needs a lot of work and would need a theatre with revolving seats which can only work if it goes to the Beaumont. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

52889j
#132022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 8:40pm

I saw 18 shows in London last fall and Ben Daniels and Liz Carr in The Normal Heart were the highlight. Both sensational performances and extremely deserved nominations.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#142022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 8:45pm

I don't really think the Oliviers are a harbinger for things to come to Broadway.

I mean...We Will Rock You won an Olivier award.  So did Top Hat, Sunny Afternoon, Our House, Honk!, Jerry Springer, Kat and the Kings, Martin Guerre....

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

SouthernCakes
#152022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 10:04pm

And stuff that are hits here (hairspray, rent, Avenue q) tend to flop over there. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#162022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/8/22 at 10:07pm

Borstalboy said: "I don't really think the Oliviers are a harbinger for things to come to Broadway.

I mean...We Will Rock You won an Olivier award. So did Top Hat, Sunny Afternoon, Our House, Honk!, Jerry Springer, Kat and the Kings, Martin Guerre....
"

Kat and the Kings did play Broadway.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#172022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/9/22 at 10:49am

“Cinderella needs a lot of work and would need a theatre with revolving seats which can only work if it goes to the Beaumont.”

Not true at all. They would just adapt the set to the house. 

Jordan Catalano
#182022 Olivier Award nominations
Posted: 3/9/22 at 11:03am

People are under the assumption that the rotating seating is integral to the plot of the show, and it absolutely is not. In fact, it adds pretty much nothing to the show except for the marketing that states “you’ll be moved” or whatever it says.