TAKE ME OUT Previews

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#125TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:05am

Saw the show last night, and really loved just about every part of it. Having seen the Public and original Broadway productions years ago, there was a certain alchemy in that original cast that really made the show shine. I saw a lot of that in parts of this production.

Firstly, maybe it's because it's late in the run and some of the meh responses to Williams were in previews, but I thought he was fantastic. Daniel Sunjata is hard act to follow, but Williams is really fantastic. I'd argue that if it wasn't his Broadway debut, he might actually win the Tony over Ferguson because while wonderful, there's a long shadow that Denis O'Hare leaves. There are certain lines that O'Hare just served to perfection, and to hear those same lines kind of used as a throw away, I wonder if Tony voters who remember those will be thinking similarly. But then there's Oberholzer, who manages to just go for broke at Shane, just unrelenting emotionally, he's his own mini tour-de-force, hopefully a star-making performance. Really, any of them could, and should, win the Tony.

The newly added scene, while I get why, it's more a should they have? It just didn't really do anything except give Williams some more meaty material. But really, it didn't work for me. 

The rest of the cast was wonderful, and the intimate theatre was a great choice. My seats were 2nd to last row center, and they were great. A simple, affective set, really highlighted the performances. (And of course, the, um, performances.) 

I will say the Yondr process was a bit confusing, I thought you could leave it on in the case, but they were telling us to shut them off, but then didn't say that we were already about to give them to lock up. I'll admit I had a brain freeze trying to remember how to turn it off! But once in, I didn't mind not having the phone with me.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#126TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:15am

MadsonMelo said: "Fergunson is winning the Tony, right?"

Is he? I hope not. Out of the 6 nominees, he'd probably be my 5th pick, followed only by Oberholtzer. And I'm not even saying that to bash either of them, I just really think the others gave better, and more interesting performances. Chuck Cooper would be my pick to win. 

Dollypop
#127TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:48am

Ferguson is giving a very good performance but it's Michael Oberhauser who is giving a performance that lifts the play from "very enjoyable" to "exceptional"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#128TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/2/22 at 7:16pm

"The newly added scene, while I get why, it's more a should they have? It just didn't really do anything except give Williams some more meaty material. But really, it didn't work for me. "

I saw the oriiginal priduction as well as the revival. Without giving it away, which scene was added?

Updated On: 6/2/22 at 07:16 PM

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#129TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 10:31am

We thought he was the weakest part of the show, especially compared to O'Hare's portrayal

Dollypop
#130TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 12:54pm

I envy people with such strong memories. I saw the original and recall O'Hare as being very good but  Fred Weller's performance is the one that stands out. That was 2003 and memories do play tricks.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#131TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 1:42pm

I saw this last night and was really blown away by the performances in this. It did not disappoint. The Jesses are on their A game. I loved this production just as much as I did the original with Daniel Sunjata, Dennis O'Hare and Fred Weller. I was especially impressed with Jesse Williams, who I've been a fan of for years via "Grey's Anatomy". He has great stage presence. 

I hope this production gets a boat-load of Tonys.

One of the best productions I have seen this year. 

MadsonMelo
#132TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 1:46pm

CarlosAlberto said: "I saw this last night and was really blown away by the performances in this. It did not disappoint. The Jesses are on their A game. I loved this production just as much as I did the original with Daniel Sunjata, Dennis O'Hare and Fred Weller. I was especially impressed with Jesse Williams, who I've been a fan of for years via "Grey's Anatomy". He has great stage presence.

"

Actually, they can only win 2. And they might win because I dont know any competition for Revival (Colored? Drive?) and Featured Actor (Chepas Jones?)

CarlosAlberto
#133TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 5:21pm

MadsonMelo said: "CarlosAlberto said: "I saw this last night and was really blown away by the performances in this. It did not disappoint. The Jesses are on their A game. I loved this production just as much as I did the original with Daniel Sunjata, Dennis O'Hare and Fred Weller. I was especially impressed with Jesse Williams, who I've been a fan of for years via "Grey's Anatomy". He has great stage presence.

"

Actually, they can only win 2. And they might win because I dont know any competition for Revival (Colored? Drive?) and Featured Actor (Chepas Jones?)
"

LOL, yes I know...hopefully they'll win those, but Cephas Jones is a mighty contender.

CityLights3
#134TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 8:45pm

MadsonMelo said: "CarlosAlberto said: " And they might win because I dont know any competition for Revival (Colored? Drive?)"

Honestly, I think Revival of a Play is one of the most competitive categories of the entire night and I could honestly see it go to HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVEfor colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf, or TAKE ME OUT.   

For me the vote is easy, it would be a slam dunk for DRIVE.  Paula Vogel having never won a Tony Award seems like a wrong that simply needs righted and there will never be a production better than the one at the Friedman.  This is only Vogels 2nd Tony nomination.  

TAKE ME OUT while a very solid effort never hit the heights of the original for me.  Is Richard Greenberg still a master of words and overly intelligent human? Absolutely.  That the original Take Me Out and The Assembled Parties are his only plays to have received Best Play nominations seems surprising, but I just don’t see this play toppling the behemoth that is Paula Vogels Drive.

and  while for colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf’s Ntozake Shange never won a Tony before leaving us too early, this production while assured and moving was not nearly as cathartic or shattering as it’s original.  The air seemed to be let out of the show for me in certain areas but on a whole certainly remains an important piece of art and poetry and I could see it’s supports putting it on top as well.  

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#135TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/3/22 at 9:15pm

TAKE ME OUT should win the Tony for revival.  The performances in DRIVE were great but not the production - as we've seen better productions of it in the regions.  

Scott Ellis should have been nominated for direction over several who made the list.  One of the "off" categories of nominees this year.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#136TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 2:22am

Dollypop said: "MadsonMelo said: "Fergunson is winning the Tony, right?"

Ferguson is giving a very good performance but it's Michael Oberhauser who is giving a performance that lifts the play from "very enjoyable" to "exceptional"

"
I agree with you. He was very engaging and in the moment. The other performances while good, were more technical in comparison. The casting was quite good and the direction was very skillful. Jesse Williams had star quality and was properly aloof and uncomfortable beneath his professional confidence. Ferguson was delightful.

MadsonMelo
#137TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 2:55am

CityLights3 said: "MadsonMelo said: "CarlosAlberto said: "And they might win because I dont know any competition for Revival (Colored? Drive?)"

Honestly, I think Revival of a Play is one of the most competitive categories of the entire night and I could honestly see it go to HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE,for colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf, orTAKE ME OUT.

For me the vote is easy, it would be a slam dunk for DRIVE. Paula Vogel having never won a Tony Award seems like a wrong that simply needs righted and there will never be a production better than the one at the Friedman. This is only Vogels 2nd Tony nomination.

TAKE ME OUT while a very solid effort never hit the heights of the original for me. Is Richard Greenberg still a master of words and overly intelligent human? Absolutely. That the original Take Me Out and The Assembled Parties are his only plays to have received Best Play nominations seems surprising, but I just don’t see this play toppling the behemoth that is Paula Vogels Drive.

and whilefor colored girls who have considered suicide / when the rainbow is enuf’sNtozake Shangenever won a Tony before leaving us too early, this production while assured and moving was not nearly as cathartic or shattering as it’s original. The air seemed to be let out of the show for me in certain areas but on a whole certainly remains an important piece of art and poetry and I could see it’s supports putting it on top as well.
"

My main problem predicting “Drive” or “Take Me Out” is that I dont even remember the last time a revival won without a best director nom while there was another contender nominated in that category.

In fact, the only revival to win without a director nom in this century was “The Boys in the Band”, but all the nominations for directing that year were for new plays.

The only revival nominated for directing this year is For Colored Girls, that it is also the most nominated revival of the night.

Maybe that should be our best bet?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#138TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 7:53am

But don't forget the nominators and voters are different pools. Hence why Slave Play could have 12 nods and no wins.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#139TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 12:56pm

The nudity element was very similar to when it happens in film. Initially one does a curious once over and then if the script is good your mind goes right back into what is happening between the characters.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#140TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 6:48pm

Bump. Is Second Stage not for profit? When I charged my ticket it was coded as a charitable contribution.

MemorableUserName
#141TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 7:24pm

UWS10023 said: "Bump. Is Second Stage not for profit? When I charged my ticket it was coded as a charitable contribution."

Despite the egregious price hike on the TMO tickets, yes.

https://nonprofitlocator.org/organizations/ny/new-york/133021180-second-stage-theatre

https://nonprofitlight.com/ny/new-york/second-stage-theatre-inc

https://2st.com/support

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/NonProfit-Second-Stage-Theatre-Acquires-Helen-Hayes-Theatre-20080716

Dollypop
#142TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 9:44pm

I think I have to sit down and learn how to spell Michael Oberholtzer's name because we're going to be seeing lots more of him in the future.

OBER-HOLT-ZER

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#143TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/4/22 at 11:05pm

UWS10023 said: "Is Second Stage not for profit? "

Yes

Dollypop
#144TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/5/22 at 11:26am

Would love to see a production of WAIT UNTIL DARK with Mary Louise Parker and Michael Oberholtzer

Dollypop
#145TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/5/22 at 11:26am

Would love to see a production of WAIT UNTIL DARK with Mary Louise Parker and Michael Oberholtzer

CarlosAlberto
#146TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/5/22 at 11:45am

Dollypop said: "Would love to see a production of WAIT UNTIL DARK with Mary Louise Parker and Michael Oberholtzer"

Isn't Mary Louise Parker a bit mature for that particular role now?

At least you didn't suggest Loretta Swit..LOL

Dollypop
#147TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/5/22 at 12:34pm

Loretta Swit isn't available right now. She's doing a dinner theater production of MEDEA in Manitoba.

Lee Remick originated the role in WAIT UNTIL DARK and I'm pretty sure she was about the same age then that Parker is now.

CarlosAlberto
#148TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/5/22 at 1:24pm

Dollypop said: "Loretta Swit isn't available right now. She's doing a dinner theater production of MEDEA in Manitoba.

Lee Remick originated the role in WAIT UNTIL DARK and I'm pretty sure she was about the same age then that Parker is now.
"

Lee Remick passed away at the age of 55. Mary Louise Parker is 57 so...no she was not. Remick was 31 when she originated the role. Audrey Hepburn was 37 when she played the role in the film. 

Updated On: 6/5/22 at 01:24 PM

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#149TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 6/5/22 at 10:17pm

After seeing the show on Friday, my take is that JTF would be the front runner from this show for the Tony. Jesse Williams gave a nice performance and Michael Oberholtzer did a very good job, but the scene I was really expecting to be Tony-worthy was at the police department and it became less nuanced and more so a shouting spectacle. Still a great show, but think it was robbery to charge $200 for last row mezz tickets. All of this is, of course, simply my opinion. Glad this show is doing well.