pixeltracker

KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022

KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:22am

https://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/news/kinky-boots-will-return-to-new-york-for-off-broadw_93616.html

Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein's Tony-winning musical Kinky Boots will return this summer for an off-Broadway run at Stage 42, beginning performances July 26 and opening on August 25.

Jerry Mitchell will return to direct and choreograph the production, for which casting and additional information has not yet been announced.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:24am

Definitely will be scaled down. More or less what should be expected for any regional theaters about to do the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:25am

I didn’t see that coming - amazing!!! I saw it back in 2014 at the Hirschfeld and it was a lot of fun!

Oh look, a bibu!

jacobsnchz14
#4KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:27am

EDSOSLO858 said: "I didn’t see that coming - amazing!!! I saw it back in 2014 at the Hirschfeld and it was a lot of fun!"

Who played your Charlie and Lola? Was the OBC still there at the time? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:28am

jacobsnchz14 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I didn’t see that coming - amazing!!! I saw it back in 2014 at the Hirschfeld and it was a lot of fun!"

Who played your Charlie and Lola? Was the OBC still there at the time?
"

I saw Andy Kelso and Timothy Ware (u/s for Billy Porter). My Lauren was Jeanna de Waal, and my Nicola was Cortney Wolfson.

I also just remembered I saw Abby Mueller on as an understudy for Trish, and I think there was an understudy on for Mr. Price as well. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/7/22 at 09:28 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:39am

Has anyone realized yet this was announced on the 3-year anniversary of Kinky Boots's Broadway closing night?

Oh look, a bibu!

MannPhan24601
#7KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:42am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Has anyone realized yet this was announced on the 3-year anniversary ofKinky Boots's Broadway closing night?"

yepp. Was just thinking about how much I miss the show and was confused why I got a notification that KB posted on Instagram . I saw it 4 times in it's last year and it's sooo amazing . 

Anybody know if this is open ended or limited ? 

jacobsnchz14
#8KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:50am

If it sells well (and why shouldn’t it) maybe it will extend if it IS a limited run. I’ll be curious to see it in a different space. 

Updated On: 4/7/22 at 09:50 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:51am

Didn’t expect this. Will be interesting to see if this can find an off-bway audience at the possibly-cursed Stage 42.

We should assume this is an open ended run because it’s still going to be quite costly to put up, even if they’re repurposing sets/costumes from the tours.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#10KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:56am

What a fun surprise! I do miss the show and was so sad when it closed. Broadway - well Off-Broadway but close enough - could really use a show like this right now.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#11KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:57am

After the producers flubbed the closing by over estimating the demand, is there really enough demand to sustain an Off-BWay run? 

I understand from cost standpoint the Broadway production had a unit set, which should be easily translatable to an off-bway theater. Add to that most of the ensemble is superfluous and can easily be cut down from 16 to 10, with 6 factory workers and 4 "Angels" from 10 workers and 6 "Angels", with very little impact on the story telling.  Then also make Nicola double cast as an ensemble track and/or Lauren understudy, since the role was so severely truncated between its out of town tryout and Broadway. It really doesn't make financial sense to pay an actor a principal rate, for having less stage time and character presence than Harry, who is has leads half of a song and is considered an ensemble track. 

I wonder what other changes will be made to the production though? 

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#12KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 10:08am

When I saw the show was returning Off-Broadway I just assumed they were going to put it in NWS.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

jimmycurry01
#13KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 11:46am

ACL2006 said: "Definitely will be scaled down. More or less what should be expected for any regional theaters about to do the show."

I'm hazy on the dates for when this was coming to regional houses. I thought it odd that it was announced that the show would be available for licensing while a regional production was already being performed in Indianapolis. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:17pm

It's already being done regionally by a ton of theaters and on cruise ships. 

Not sure if there is demand since it's so readily available across the country. But I think Stage 42 is such a great venue, so glad to see it's getting used. And the show was selling decently, so to scale it down and move it to a decent sized house might be a smart move. Get someone like Todrick Hall back to open the show... could have a nice Off-Broadway life.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:33pm

When shows like JERSEY BOYS and AVE Q and PLAY THAT GOES WRONG have moved Off-Broadway, do we have an idea of what percentage of tickets are sold day-of by the TKTS flyering teams? Those shows are constantly being hawked every time I'm near the booth, and it may be that there's a business model wherein a majority of seats can be sold at half-off and still break even. And most of the ticketbuyers don't know the difference between Off-bway and Bway.

I have to admire the hustle of those teams and the marketing to tourists –– which is wholly different than marketing a new show.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#16KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:44pm

Early prediction on changes to the show is that the repeated line "Ladies, gentlemen and those who have yet to make up your minds." will be scrapped in favor of something less binary. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 2:22pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "When shows like JERSEY BOYS and AVE Q and PLAY THAT GOES WRONG have moved Off-Broadway, do we have an idea of what percentage of tickets are sold day-of by the TKTS flyering teams? Those shows are constantly being hawked every time I'm near the booth, and it may be that there's a business model wherein a majority of seats can be sold at half-off and still break even. And most of the ticketbuyers don't know the difference between Off-bway and Bway.

I have to admire the hustle of those teams and the marketing to tourists –– which is wholly different than marketing a new show.
"

No clue, but Rock of Ages has clearly proven that a "big" Broadway show can still make some coin off-Broadway. I think it's a smart move. 

JSquared2
#18KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 2:51pm

jkcohen626 said: "Early prediction on changes to the show is that the repeated line "Ladies, gentlemen and those who have yet to make up your minds." will be scrapped in favor of something less binary."

OFFS

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#19KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 4/7/22 at 6:30pm

I really thought that by the end of the run this show had lost its teeth. The stunt casting had gotten ridiculous (to the point where some performers couldn't even handle the score) and the Angels were clearly exhausted and marking their choreography. The tour performance that I saw suffered the same fate-low energy. 

I'd love to see this work, but I don't have high hopes. Tourists might flock to it. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 7/29/22 at 9:11am

This started performances this week. Has anyone seen it? Any noticeable changes due to the smaller stage? Curious if they're still using the treadmills.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#21KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 7/29/22 at 1:48pm

I wonder if they installed the change in the finale from the Hollywood Bowl: “Ladies, gentlemen, they, them, those, and YOU…”

Oh look, a bibu!

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#22KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 7/29/22 at 2:04pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I wonder if they installed the change in the finale from the Hollywood Bowl: “Ladies, gentlemen, they, them, those, and YOU…”"

I can tell you, Arts Club in Vancouver (equity production) is doing Kinky Boots right now, and they definitely used that line instead.

And as someone mentioned above, they made it 4 angels total, and Nicola was a split track (also a factory worker). 

Curious how the off-Broadway production handles. 

nativenewyorker2
#23KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 7/29/22 at 2:05pm

They also edited out the young Charlie and Lola parts for the new space.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#24KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 7/29/22 at 2:08pm

nativenewyorker2 said: "They also edited out the young Charlie and Lola parts for the new space."

The non-equity tour did that and I've noticed certain regional theaters cutting them, too.

Their rehearsal footage has 6 Angels.

chrishuyen
#25KINKY BOOTS will play Off-Broadway summer 2022
Posted: 7/29/22 at 3:45pm

Does anyone know if they're offering any sort of rush policy? Despite the sale on TodayTix I expected this to show up on tdf which it hasn't (yet) and prices are a bit higher than what I've been expecting