pixeltracker

Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?

Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?

ElephantLoveMedley
#1Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:30am

It feels, at least to me, increasingly like this year’s Tony Award for Best Musical will be a neck-and-neck race between Six and A Strange Loop. Based off the near-universal acclaim for Six’s live cast recording that was released last night, it feels like Six may have the edge for Best Score? On the flip side, A Strange Loop probably has the edge on Best Book. With these categories split, I really don’t know how Best Musical will turn out. 

Personally, I think Six easily deserves the top award of the season. The show is the definition of a good time. It’s witty, colorful and bright, you learn some history through it, and it’s easy to recommend to pretty much anyone. I respected and admired what A Strange Loop does, but I personally found its message convoluted, the score grating, and the show can’t exactly be recommended to everybody (families with kids are automatically not in the demographic to see the show). It just makes artistic and commercial sense to me for Six to win the award, to me. 

Of course, I know others will disagree, so I wanted to start a thread to hear others’ thoughts on this observation and see what people are rooting for! 

bwaydreamer
#2Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:34am

Haha that is a no.  A Strange Loop has both of those awards wrapped up no contest.  Next question.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#3Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:37am

Best Score - Six
Best Book of a Musical - A Strange Loop
Best Musical - A Strange Loop
(Maybe best Costume Design for Six?)

I loveeeeeeeee Six. Like I'm a literal Stan. However, A Strange Loop is so dynamic and the story is what Broadway needs right now. It's such an emotional rollercoaster and has depth that I feel like Six lacks. The only reason why I think Six will win Best Score is because so many of A Strange Loop's songs sound the same. I guess a secondary reason would be that I'm not sure how much the Tony voters will be turned off by all the N bombs in songs like "Tyler Perry Writes Real Life". We've never had a show that has language like this, so I dont know it they will have implicit bias or not

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 5/6/22 at 11:37 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:39am

Lolz. There is no contest, as dreamer stated. A Strange Loop is more than "the definition of a good time." A lot more. It creates huge conversations about whole lot of things on Broadway. Those are the shows that win Tonys. Not a fun little concert.

A Strange Loop is brilliant. It won a Pulitzer. 

Next question. 

OhHiii
#5Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:40am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "I respected and admired what A Strange Loop does, but I personally found its message convoluted, the score grating, and the show can’t exactly be recommended to everybody."

You found it's message convoluted...a message that is an authentic representation of the Black queer experience...convoluted? Tell us more....please.

YvanEhtNioj
#6Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?

It's a valid question. Y'all dont have to be so damn passive aggressive. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?

If SIX wins best costumes, I will vomit. Those costumes looked like they were straight off the Party City clearance rack.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sutton Ross
#8Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:41am

HAHAHAHA. I thought the same thing about those tacky outfits. 

YvanEhtNioj
#9Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:42am

bwayphreak234 said: "If SIX wins best costumes, I will vomit. Those costumes looked like they were straight off the Party City clearance rack."

Lmfao not Party City . I think they're cute and they actually look like a girl group. I'm just comparing it to every other show this season. Other than maybe Music Man, I dont really recall any shows having unique/creative costumes

BdwyFan
#10Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:43am

Agree with you. SIX will win.  Purely based upon the breakdown of the Tony Voters. 40% American Theater Wing, 10-15% Road Presenters.  And I enjoyed Loop. 

YvanEhtNioj
#11Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:45am

BdwyFan said: "Agree with you. SIX will win. Purely based upon the breakdown of the Tony Voters. 40% American Theater Wing, 10-15% Road Presenters. And I enjoyed Loop."

If Six wins Best Musical I'll be..pretty bummed. Six already has the fanbase and ticket sales. ASL would def benefit from the Tony win

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#12Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:47am

I truly don’t understand where the Six VS Strange Loop argument even comes from. Six is great but it is not a full fledged show, its a concert...a great concert with a fun plot...but still a concert. A Strange Loop is breaking boundaries and is a story that has never been told on broadway. Six will last a LONG time without a Tony, A Strange Loop not only needs it but deserves it. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#13Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:48am

Let’s not forget that Kinky Boots won score and Best Musical over the brilliantly crafted Matilda. I won’t breathe a sigh of relief until A Strange Loop wins both. I enjoyed Six and it is a fun time, but A Strange Look is by far the better musical, in my opinion.

Sutton Ross
#14Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:49am

YvanEhtNioj said: "It's a valid question. Y'all dont have to be so damn passive aggressive."

And they are asking them to tell them more. There is nothing wrong with it. People frame their opinions many different ways, not just how you want them to. You've had issues before with calling someone out for having an opinion only to get called out yourself by calling their view "extra" which it was was not. It was just different from yours. 

Sutton Ross
#15Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:51am

Alex M said: "I truly don’t understand where the Six VS Strange Loop argument even comes from. Six is great but it is not a full fledged show, its a concert...a great concert with a fun plot...but still a concert. A Strange Loop is breaking boundaries and is a story that has never been told on broadway. Six will last a LONG time without a Tony, A Strange Loop not only needs it but deserves it."

Great comment, Alex. 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#16Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:52am

Based on who the voting base is, I think it's closer to a 50/50 chance on which show actually wins Best Musical.

But there is no doubt in mind A Strange Loop is the more deserving show. It's better written, staged and performed, serves a greater social purpose beyond the play itself, and the big win will make a significant difference in its box office - a boost Six doesn't need.

YvanEhtNioj
#17Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:54am

Sutton Ross said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "It's a valid question. Y'all dont have to be so damn passive aggressive."

And they are asking them to tell them more. There is nothing wrong with it. People frame their opinions many different ways, not just how you want them to. You've had issues before with calling someone out for having an opinion only to get called out yourself by calling their view "extra" which it was was not. It was just different from yours.
"

Don't even. You're always so passive aggressive with literally everyone on here. I don't have a problem with views different than mine. I have a problem with someone opening a conversation only to be met with "lol next question.". It's rude and unnecessary. 

Edit: spelling

Updated On: 5/6/22 at 11:54 AM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#18Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 11:56am

YvanEhtNioj said: "Sutton Ross said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "It's a valid question. Y'all dont have to be so damn passive aggressive."

"

Don't even. You're always so passive aggressive with literally everyone on here. I don't have a problem with views different than mine. I have a problem with someone opening a conversation only to be met with "lol next question.". It's rude and uanessacry.
"

children please...not in front of your mother

OhHiii
#19Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:00pm

BdwyFan said: "Agree with you. SIX will win. Purely based upon the breakdown of the Tony Voters. 40% American Theater Wing, 10-15% Road Presenters. And I enjoyed Loop."

40% + 10-15% = 55% at most. Where is your other 45% of the voting bloc?

Six is already on tour and I'm SURE selling like hotcakes as it is on Broadway. They do not need a Tony and the presenters are well aware of that.

Nolan LuPone
#20Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:01pm

I suppose there could be an upset where Six wins best musical, but I don't think the voters have been afraid to vote for "radical" musicals over the past few years. In the end, A Strange Loop will most likely win.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#21Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:02pm

Alex M said: "I truly don’t understand where the Six VS Strange Loop argument even comes from. Six is great but it is not a full fledged show, its a concert...a great concert with a fun plot...but still a concert. A Strange Loop is breaking boundaries and is a story that has never been told on broadway. Six will last a LONG time without a Tony, A Strange Loop not only needs it but deserves it."

I agree with most of your post, as well as most of what people are saying in this thread. While I personally enjoyed Six more than Strange Loop, I think Strange Loop is far more deserving of the top award. 

The one thing that I disagree with though, is that Six is "not a full-fledged show." The concert setting of Six is a fully-realized theatrical conceit. It's a form used in service of the storytelling. It would be like saying Hedwig and the Angry Inch is "just a concert." 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#22Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:04pm

JBroadway said: "Alex M said: "I truly don’t understand where the Six VS Strange Loop argument even comes from. Six is great but it is not a full fledged show, its a concert...a great concert with a fun plot...but still a concert. A Strange Loop is breaking boundaries and is a story that has never been told on broadway. Six will last a LONG time without a Tony, A Strange Loop not only needs it but deserves it."

I agree with most of your post, as well as most of what people are saying in this thread. While I personally enjoyed Six more than Strange Loop, I think Strange Loop is far more deserving of the top award.

The one thing that I disagree with though, is that Six is "not a full-fledged show." The concert setting of Six is a fully-realized theatrical conceit. It's a form used in service of the storytelling. It would be like saying Hedwig and the Angry Inch is "just a concert."
"

Id argue Hedwig is more in the vein of a one "man" show. But I do get what you are saying.

Sutton Ross
#23Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:05pm

Don't even. You're always so passive aggressive with literally everyone on here. I don't have a problem with views different than mine. I have a problem with someone opening a conversation only to be met with "lol next question.". It's rude and uanessacry.

Lolz. Totally uanessacry. Like when I write a review on shows like Funny Girl or a Strange Loop or tell people to have a wonderful time at nearly every show that is happening. So, nah. 

Trying to control how other people talk or ask a question is a giant waste of your time. Be best! 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#24Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:06pm

I think Strange Loop is all but guaranteed to win Best Book and is the heavy frontrunner for ּBest Musical, but I think the Best Score could be more competitive. 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#25Six vs. A Strange Loop: The Tightest Tony Race of 2022?
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:06pm

Six is a shoe in for the Broadway.com choice awards !!! wink