pixeltracker

"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997

"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 11:54am

https://youtu.be/OvAN7e4IG7Y

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
Posted: 7/4/22 at 12:57pm

I watched the entire documentary.  It's beautiful and poignant.  Towards the end, the cast members discuss going out and trying to drum up  business and convince people to see their show.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 7/4/22 at 12:57 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 1:21pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I watched the entire documentary. It's beautiful and poignant. Towards the end, the major stars discuss going out and trying to drum up business and convince people to see their show."

Hold up.  Major stars?!  The show had no major stars.  Not at that time.  About a handful have established themselves since in the Broadway world but nothing further.  23-24 years later, none of them is a household name.  No, not even Emily Skinner, Alice Ripley, Hugh Panaro nor Norm Lewis.  A Tony Award means zero away from Broadway.  Countless Tony Award winners sadly found this out quickly.  cheeky

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#4"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 3:29pm

Norm Lewis is not a household name???

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 4:33pm

suicidalmickeymouse said: "Norm Lewis is not a household name???"

His most recent work has been doing 1 episode guest appearances on TV shows.  Um, no.  He ain’t no household name.  And Broadway doesn’t count as the mainstream masses don’t follow Broadway.  YOUNGER ran for 7 years and thousands who watched it had no idea Sutton Foster did Broadway shows.  Broadway is it’s own universe.  

StageJunkie2
#6"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 6:36pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I watched the entire documentary. It's beautiful and poignant. Towards the end, the major stars discuss going out and trying to drum up business and convince people to see their show."

Thanks so much for posting this. It remains one of my favorite shows, and I really enjoyed the cast and creative discussing its genesis. Emily and Alice both were quite amazing.

I’d’ve killed to be at that closing night performance.

commopics
#7"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 6:37pm

I assumed by "major stars" the OP meant the actors in the key roles.

MsPiety&Rectitude
#8"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 6:44pm

Not to mention that these people *are* major stars in the world of Broadway (and we *are* posting on “Broadway World” after all).

Patti LuPone FANatic
#9"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 6:50pm

MsPiety&Rectitude said: "Not to mention that these people *are* major stars in the world of Broadway (and we *are* posting on “Broadway World” after all)."   People are coming up with such odd responses.  For the record, I was referring to cast members (Hugh Panaro mentions that he and others with the show) going out in inclement weather and trying to solicit interest in the show).  

inception Profile Photo
inception
#10"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 7:18pm

It still bothers me that Fall of 2014 I went to NYC in October, before the revival opened, thinking to myself, "Oh, I'll have plenty of time to see it in the Spring/Summer."

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#11"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 7:45pm

StageJunkie2 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I watched the entire documentary. It's beautiful and poignant. Towards the end, the major stars discuss going out and trying to drum up business and convince people to see their show."

Thanks so much for posting this. It remains one of my favorite shows, and I really enjoyed the cast and creative discussing its genesis. Emily and Alice both were quite amazing.

"

I was there at the closing night performance.

It was an event, to say the least.

That afternoon, I saw one of the final performances of Triumph of Love; which had also been set to close.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Posted: 7/4/22 at 9:09pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I watched the entire documentary. It's beautiful and poignant. Towards the end, the cast members discuss going out and trying to drum up business and convince people to see their show."

I noticed you edited your comment. I totally understood what you meant by major stars. You didn't have to take that out just because someone got a bit too literal/specific about it! In some people's worlds, they are major stars.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 7/4/22 at 09:09 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#13"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/4/22 at 9:14pm

markypoo said: "StageJunkie2 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I watched the entire documentary. It's beautiful and poignant. Towards the end, the major stars discuss going out and trying to drum up business and convince people to see their show."

"

I was there at the closing night performance.

It was an event, to say the least.

That afternoon, I saw one of the final performances of Triumph of Love; which had also been set to close.
"

I was there as well. It was both an emotional and thrilling final performance. I know I have pictures somewhere that I took at the final curtain call.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#14"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/5/22 at 9:42am

I went to the closing night as well. A extraordinary performance. Remember the top of the show? The audience wouldn't let it begin, cheering before the first note. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#15"Side Show" Broadway Documentary 1997
Posted: 7/6/22 at 5:50pm

I was at the final performance as well. An emotional performance for sure! It was my third time seeing the show and I wept openly during much of the show. At the end of "You Should Be Loved," Norm Lewis screamed out "VIOLET!!!!!!" and everyone around me lost it! What a night!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018