pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22

Fosse76
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/10/22 at 6:56pm

OhHiii said: "Fosse76 said: "JSquared2 said: "They can't. Even the cancellation of the unannounced show at the Schoenfeld isn't greenlighting an extension of Come From Away."

The unannounced show for the Schoenfeld has not been canceled...
"

If you think it's Life of Pi, as I said that was always a Spring show. It's not the show that was coming in immediately after CFA...that show was a "star vehicle" that has been cancelled. If you are saying that's not true and it's still coming in, you should let the Shuberts know...they told the staff nothing is coming in and that they are now trying to ship the theater around for a filler. CFA was told they need to close on October 2, which mean the next show was coming in shortly after (early November).

PipingHotPiccolo
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/10/22 at 7:57pm

Are y'all referring to that Sean Hayes project?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/10/22 at 9:24pm

BETTY22 said: "Strange Loop is in trouble. I'm sure the theater owners are looking for their next show.

"ASL nobody is interested in seeing this vulgar -preachy musical. Simpy too raw and raunchy. When tourists ask what's about they politely then say: No Thanks! It won't find an audience and the box office is slowly showing that weekly in the grosses. I doubt it will be around by spring '23!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

binau Profile Photo
binau
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/11/22 at 12:21pm

In case anyone is interested to see how Passion was doing at least in terms of seats sold around the same time in 1994 (not good)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/11/22 at 2:08pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Are y'all referring to that Sean Hayes project?"

Maybe that one did fall apart? 

bear88
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/12/22 at 2:19am

binau said: "In case anyone is interested to see how Passion was doing at least in terms of seats sold around the same time in 1994 (not good)

I don't know the grosses, or how realistically to compare them, but the box office performance of Passion makes A Strange Loop look pretty decent. Even in a bad week, A Strange Loop came a lot closer to filling the (admittedly smaller) house.

The small burst of interest that Passion got after its Tony win dissipated quickly, and that show had the Sondheim name going for it. As near as I can tell, the problem for A Strange Loop is not so much that people hate it, but that they have no desire to see it in the first place. It definitely doesn't seem like a great summer tourist show for the sort of middle-aged white people who make up most of the Broadway audience.

It's not my money, but I still would argue - even if its box office doesn't pick up in the fall - that the producers achieved one main goal. My daughter saw it on her New York City trip in June, and she probably wouldn't have caught it in an off-Broadway house. It stands a better chance of touring, at least in a few major cities. That isn't a viable model for commercial theater, but maybe it's worth it for the investors in this particular show.

Emmeline Carter
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/14/22 at 1:16am

Apparently, there's a TikTok that was released some point this week; that says A Strange Loop is about to announce their closing date. However, a ProShot is planned. I don't know how much merit this has, but apparently this is the same TikToker that knew Stephanie J. Block is going to be the new Baker's Wife. They also knew some of the other new casting for Into the Woods as well. I don't know, but with how the ticket sales have been going it doesn't look good, unfortunately.

Updated On: 8/14/22 at 01:16 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/14/22 at 2:16am

Whatever ASL is planning to do, sales do not look good starting in September. So unless they're selling half the house week-of, it could be a fool's errand to try to limp through to Thanksgiving/Christmas. Even if everyone's already on waivers, it prob costs more than $550K per week.

And it goes without saying that the touring/licensing potential does not look great for this one.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/15/22 at 5:21pm

Is it somehow better (or different) to post a rumor (whether intentional BS or otherwise) here than on TikTok? It's not like both don't happen here. Just as some people post incorrect information here not because it is a rumor they heard but simply because they don't know what they are talking about. A lot of rumors are started by people who work in positions that don't get them inside info but that give them access to what someone thought they overheard and then spread via the telephone game. Others have no position other than a seat at a bar where they overhear something said by someone who may or may not actually know anything. And then there are those who intuit things from no source at all but then repeat it enough that even they start to believe it. I agree that anyone who doesn't have a good supply of salt grains deserves what they get. 

And yes there is no more accurate truism than that a stopped clock is right twice a day. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:13pm

While I agree that a grain of salt with every rumor is absolutely essential, I also think we've seen an increase in credible rumors leaking on this board over the past year or so. And I think the batting average goes up even higher if you manage to weed out the "rumors" that were actually just pieces of speculation that spiraled out of control. If you follow this message board closely like many of us do, it's not too hard to weed those out, because you can usually trace the rumor back to its source, and discover it was actually someone casually throwing out a possibility.

As for the user in question: regardless of what he's like as a person, and regardless of what's going on in his personal life (neither of which are for me to comment on), he is in fact a user who leaked credible information on multiple occasions. But then he confessed to inventing a rumor just to mess with us - and in doing so, he elected to tank his own credibility. I understand that trolls gotta troll (I have to admit it's mildly funny in retrospect). But it's baffling to me that he brazenly confessed to it, while simultaneously relying on these inside scoops to build an online presence. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/15/22 at 6:53pm

@JBroadway agree with all that. And yes around here I think that those of us who pay attention know whose ice cream we should scoop up and whose we should pass up. Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22

Rainah
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/7/22
Posted: 8/16/22 at 1:40pm

BWW has consistently been the most reliable place for rumours in my experience - it's one of the reasons I stick around. Of course there's always trolls or attention seekers, or someone's wishing that gets repeated and then snowballed into "I heard". There will be anywhere. But BWW seems to have the higher percentage of people who actually know things.