pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 12:36pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 8/21/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: COME FROM AWAY (7.8%), THE KITE RUNNER (6.2%), MR. SATURDAY NIGHT (4.6%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (3.8%), WICKED (3.5%), HADESTOWN (3%), CHICAGO (2.9%), BEETLEJUICE (2.5%), A STRANGE LOOP (2.4%), THE LION KING (1.7%), ALADDIN (0.9%), FUNNY GIRL (0.4%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (0.3%), HAMILTON (0.3%), INTO THE WOODS (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-5.7%), SIX (-1.2%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.8%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-0.4%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 12:38pm

Funny Girl lowest avg ticket price $81.42

Into the Woods is a big fat hit which makes me happy. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ElephantLoveMedley
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 12:42pm

Worth noting that the big dip for Dear Evan Hansen is because the show was forced to cancel both performances on Saturday due to an issue with the Music Box's air conditioning units.

Truly blown away by how massive of a hit Into the Woods is. Makes my Sondheim heart full.

There have been rumors over the last few days that A Strange Loop has a yet-to-be-announced closing date to make room for Cabaret at the Lyceum. The show's current numbers make that a completely unsurprising rumor.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 12:46pm

Honestly, even though it should run a lot longer and be much more of a success than the numbers are saying, I just want them to make it to the new year (Tickets are on sale through 1/15).

Into The Woods, meanwhile, continues to blow my mind and I feel like the prospect of an open ended run is looking better and better.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 12:52pm

Let’s see what happens to Woods after Sara leaves …

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 12:58pm

Not sure why, but Into the Woods has a ton of availability this week, particularly tomorrow, where the matinee is very undersold. Maybe summer vacations are ending and kids are going back to school, but I'll be curious to see if next week's grosses look noticeably different.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:03pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Let’s see what happens to Woods after Sara leaves …"

I'm both surprised and not surprised Sara is that major of a draw. She seems not well known out of our circle, and she's on Girls5Eva, which is only on Peacock. But also glad she's so well known. 

I'll def. be interested to see the numbers after she leaves. 

A Strange Loop is def. not surprising and given we are about to enter the doldrums of Fall, I expect to keep seeing the numbers dip.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:07pm

I saw Into the Woods two weeks ago. The audience, though not racially diverse - alas - was very age diverse. Yes there were return fans there, but they didn’t own the audience.

when the lights came up after the finale, the entire audience was already on its feet. This was the first time I’ve ever seen the Steward get cheers! 

In any case, I just talked to a friend who saw the show last night and he had the same report. Everybody was on their feet when the lights came up. This is atypical for most shows, and to be honest, unheard of for a Sondheim show, excluding first previews, openings or closings.

It’s easy to forget that word of mouth, and the outcome of entire sold out houses telling everyone they know to see it is what creates a genuine hit show.

I would also guess that half the audience was unfamiliar with most of the cast, and their replacements will probably sell more repeat buyers than lose sales to fans of departing cast members.

This is shaping up to be Sondheim’s biggest hit. I intend to be at the performance that marks the night when it surpasses AFTHOTWTTF as his longest running show.

Mr. Sondheim is absolutely getting his due. And you know it’s the very best memorial he would have wished for.

Updated On: 8/23/22 at 01:07 PM

GoSmileLaughCryClap
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:13pm

This past weekend was the original closing date. Tickets for this week on just became available recently.

BCfitasafiddle
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:26pm

Lea can't come soon enough.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:28pm

GoSmileLaughCryClap said: "I saw Into the Woods two weeks ago. The audience, though not racially diverse - alas - was very age diverse. Yes there were return fans there, but they didn’t own the audience.

when the lights came up after the finale, the entire audience was already on its feet. This was the first time I’ve ever seen the Steward get cheers!

In any case, I just talked to a friend who saw the show last night and he had the same report. Everybody was on their feet when the lights came up. This is atypical for most shows, and to be honest, unheard of for a Sondheim show, excluding first previews, openings or closings.

It’s easy to forget that word of mouth, and the outcome of entire sold out houses telling everyone they know to see it is what creates a genuine hit show.

I would also guess that half the audience was unfamiliar with most of the cast, and their replacements will probably sell more repeat buyers than lose sales to fans of departing cast members.

This is shaping up to be Sondheim’s biggest hit. I intend to be at the performance that marks the night when it surpasses AFTHOTWTTF as his longest running show.

Mr. Sondheim is absolutely getting his due. And you know it’s the very best memorial he would have wished for.
"

It's just so interesting that a bare bones revival is being his biggest hit. Instead of a lavish perfect production like the recent Company. Interesting! 

ElephantLoveMedley
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:29pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Lea can't come soon enough."

Only two weeks left to go!

GoSmileLaughCryClap
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:31pm

RippedMan said: "GoSmileLaughCryClap said: "I saw Into the Woods two weeks ago. The audience, though not racially diverse - alas - was very age diverse. Yes there were return fans there, but they didn’t own the audience.

"

It's just so interesting that a bare bones revival is being his biggest hit. Instead of a lavish perfect production like the recent Company. Interesting!
"

Just like CHICAGO.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 1:43pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Not sure why, but Into the Woodshas a ton of availability this week, particularly tomorrow, where the matinee is very undersold. Maybe summer vacations are ending and kids are going back to school, but I'll be curious to see if next week's grosses look noticeably different."

It's worth noting that this is the first week of the extension. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 2:46pm

jkcohen626 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Not sure why, but Into the Woodshas a ton of availability this week, particularly tomorrow, where the matinee is very undersold. Maybe summer vacations are ending and kids are going back to school, but I'll be curious to see if next week's grosses look noticeably different."

It's worth noting that this is the first week of the extension.

"

Yes, I had forgotten about that. Clearly, most of the people who wanted to see this cast have already seen the show, but I still would have expected their final 2 weeks to be better sold than they are. I suppose a dip was inevitable, though, and it's available on TKTS for tonight and tomorrow's matinee.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 2:46pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Not sure why, but Into the Woodshas a ton of availability this week, particularly tomorrow, where the matinee is very undersold. Maybe summer vacations are ending and kids are going back to school, but I'll be curious to see if next week's grosses look noticeably different."

I'm hoping it shows up on TKTS for tomorrows matinee. I'm going to see if on the board today for tomorrow and if not just check again in the morning.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

itsahopi
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 3:26pm

GoSmileLaughCryClap said: "RippedMan said: "GoSmileLaughCryClap said: "I saw Into the Woods two weeks ago. The audience, though not racially diverse - alas - was very age diverse. Yes there were return fans there, but they didn’t own the audience.

"

"

Just like CHICAGO.
"

I spent a whole two minutes trying to figure out what the hell AFATDHDNDNAPTWWTOTTFFF meant. I finally realized the original poster was referring to FORUM. How was typing this easier than ANY OTHER OPTION??? lolol 

GoSmileLaughCryClap
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 3:35pm

Because Forum is the second funniest show to abbreviate that way. The first? ODPDMHYITCAIFSS. These are  Broadway World chat board distinctions that we shouldn’t retire. Not to mention that you obviously had two minutes to figure it out. What about this one? 

leefowler
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 3:41pm

Maybe I’m missing it, but where’s The Music Man?

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

BCfitasafiddle
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 3:42pm

leefowler said: "Maybe I’m missing it, but where’s The Music Man?"

The production was dark for the week. Back tonight.

Jarethan
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 3:48pm

GoSmileLaughCryClap said: "I saw Into the Woods two weeks ago. The audience, though not racially diverse - alas - was very age diverse. Yes there were return fans there, but they didn’t own the audience.

"

Never going to happen.  We are still in the ‘major Sondheim fans’ phase.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 4:17pm

RippedMan wrote: I'm both surprised and not surprised Sara is that major of a draw. She seems not well known out of our circle, and she's on Girls5Eva, which is only on Peacock.

Sara's been pretty well-known since around 2007 with the release of her second studio album. I remember she had a lot of fans at the company I worked for and that's how I was introduced to her. That second album brought her a #4 Billboard hit single (Love Song) and two Grammy nominations. Luckily for us, she's pretty into the Broadway thing, too!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 4:44pm

Yeah, I mean, she did play Madison Square Garden. I mean she's big in my world, so I guess I dig it!

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 5:59pm

Am I the only one that's still seeing the previous week's grosses when I click the link??

jo
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/21/22
Posted: 8/23/22 at 7:38pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "leefowler said: "Maybe I’m missing it, but where’s The Music Man?"

The production was dark for the week. Back tonight.
"

They are not selling tickets again for the week Sept 5-12.   Early during the run ,this was announced as one of the Jackman leaves of absence.  Will it be dark again?

Hugh Jackman is expected to be attending the world premiere on September 7 of his new movie THE SON which will be in competition at the Venice film festival and is also scheduled at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) after its Venice screening. The film is shaping up to be one of the awards season major hopefuls, including acting honors for Jackman. Co-stars are Laura Dern, Vanessa Kirby, newcomer Zen McGrath & a role for Anthony Hopkins. It is a film adaptation of a celebrated play by Florian Zeller ( Oscar winner for Adapted Screenplay for The Father, same film which won Best Actor Oscar for Hopkins). Zeller's co-winner for The Father and collaborating with him again on The Son , is Christopher Hampton of Sunset Boulevard fame. Hampton is a a major presence in both the film and theatrical worlds'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hampton

Updated On: 8/23/22 at 07:38 PM