pixeltracker

New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?

New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:58am

I was at a show the other night (a show that’s had a cast album out for a while now) eavesdropping on a conversation between two people behind me who were obviously “in the biz” talking about a show that’s planning to do a cast album signing onstage in the theater. I only heard mid conversation so didn’t hear what show. Anyone have any info? The last one of those i think i remember was “Little Night Music” with Sondheim.  

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 12:09pm

Maybe Funny Girl? Into the Woods and Almost Famous will close before their cast albums are available on CD and I don’t think Kimberly Akimbo has a release date yet.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 12:13pm

Paradise Square. You didn’t hear it from me though.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#4New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 12:15pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I was at a show the other night (a show that’s had a cast album out for a while now) eavesdropping on a conversation between two people behind me who were obviously “in the biz” talking about a show that’s planning to do a cast album signing onstage in the theater. I only heard mid conversation so didn’t hear what show. Anyone have any info? The last one of those i think i remember was “Little Night Music” with Sondheim."

The Book of Mormon also did one of these on stage signings for its cast recording release. 

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#5New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 12:15pm

I attended the "A Little Night Music" cast album signing in the theater...if my memory serves me, I waited outside for hours to ensure I got in. And yes, Sondheim was there.

A few years prior to that, there was also an in-theater cast album signing for the Cerveris/LuPone "Sweeney Todd," which I also attended. Sondheim was also in attendance.

I absolutely loved these events (as well as the ones in Barnes & Noble) and I hope they can return (masks required for all, of course).

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#6New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 12:53pm

&Juliet maybe?

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#7New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:24pm

Could be SIX? It's apparently coming out on disc on February 3rd; it's popped up on Amazon and some other retailers but haven't heard any official confirmation which is a bit odd for a production that's been all about social engagement. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:37pm

The COVID of it all makes me raise a BIG eyebrow, especially in the dead of winter. You either get masked actors or masked attendees, and that's not great for photo ops.

An onstage event like this is generally viewed as a big waste of $$$ because of the personnel involved with using the theatre. It's a fan engagement stunt that might generate social at best. If you do it in a record store (what are those?) or bookstore, the cost becomes almost $0.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:48pm

chewy5000 said: "Could be SIX? It's apparently coming out on disc on February 3rd; it's popped up on Amazon and some other retailers but haven't heard any official confirmation which is a bit odd for a production that's been all about social engagement."

Yeah, but none of the people on that recording are actually in the show. The shows with the casts that are actually in the show right now that I can think of are Funny Girl, &Juliet, and Neil Diamond. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 12:45am

Lol I really should have just turned around and asked them. 

JSquared2
#11New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 12:17pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The COVID of it all makes me raise a BIG eyebrow, especially in the dead of winter. You either get masked actors or masked attendees, and that's not great for photo ops.

An onstage event like this is generally viewed as a big waste of $$$ because of the personnel involved with using the theatre. It's a fan engagement stunt that might generate social at best. If you do it in a record store (what are those?) or bookstore, the cost becomes almost $0.
"

Not only that, but what sane producer would risk exposing the cast to Covid, flu, etc. and potentially having to cancel shows in exchange for a one-off stunt with little to no financial upside?  

@z5
#12New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 9:42pm

Hadestown did one in Dec 2019 with the entire cast + Rachel chavkin and anais Mitchell all signing on stage. 

Dolly80
#13New Cast Album Signing In The Theater?
Posted: 1/8/23 at 8:54am

Maybe it’s a show that hasn’t yet released a cast recording- Kimberly Akimbo? Some Like it Hot?

Latest Posts