Thursday and Friday Matinee?

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 8:38am

What shows have Thursday or Friday matinees?  It doesn't seem like any Broadway shows have any, but do any off broadway shows have these matinees?

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#2Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:05pm

The last I checked, PHANTOM still does Thursday matinees.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018
Updated On: 1/12/23 at 03:05 PM

Fosse76
#3Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:14pm

Broadway Bob* said: "The last I checked, PHANOM still does Thursday matinees."

Phantom does not have Thursday matinees anymore.

Updated On: 1/12/23 at 03:14 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#4Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:20pm

Thursday makes a little bit of sense for touristy shows during high tourist periods but not otherwise. Fridays make even less sense because that gets you mixed up in the weekend and it is pretty inconceivable that it makes sense to trade a weekend matinee for a weekday one.

Jarethan
#5Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 4:15pm

HogansHero said: "Thursday makes a little bit of sense for touristy shows during high tourist periods but not otherwise. Fridays make even less sense because that gets you mixed up in the weekend and it is pretty inconceivable that it makes sense to trade a weekend matinee for a weekday one."

On several occasions, I have been to see 10 - 11 shows in London in a week, because of matinees on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, with some giving 2 performances on Friday, e.g., 5 and 8:30.  I don’t know if they still do it, but they did in the 70s through the 00’s, because i did it those times.  Sadly, I have not been to London in 14 years, but I will be spending 10 days in May.

in the last few years, I was able to purchase Thursday matinees for preview performances of MR and Almost Famous.  Both were heavily attended, MR definitely filled.  As a binge attendee, I would love it if they got more creative with schedules, essentially providing more slots to see as many shows as possible.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 4:18pm

The only Thursday matinee I recall attending was Chicago in 2011. The mezzanine was basically empty. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 1/12/23 at 4:23pm

There might be a few Off-broadway shows with a Thursday matinee. I don't recall any shows ever doing Friday matinees on a consistent basis.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 3:39pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE will be doing Thursday matinees beginning in September. They're removing Wednesday evenings.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Timon3
#9Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 12:14pm

The Papermill Playhouse in Milburn, New Jersey does Thursday matinees.

Milburn is about 45 minutes ride from Penn on the train and matinees start at 1:30 so easy to get back to Manhattan for an evening show. The Papermill does some great shows, with high production values. Also Milburn is a nice quaint town, there is a nice diner there for brunch pre show.

taragel2
#10Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 2:09pm

I just looked at TKTS live and saw that Anthony Rapp's Without You has a Thursday matinee (to my surprise!).

Phantom4ever
#11Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 4:00pm

Wicked and to a lesser extent, BOM, have Friday matinees in July during the prime summer weeks. Usually just one or two Fridays a summer. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 2/11/24 at 6:08pm

FYI, The Great Gatsby will have Thursday matinees after it opens. Noticed this while searching for tickets.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 2/14/24 at 6:13pm

On June 20th, a whole bunch of shows are doing Thursday matinees (likely to make up for no Sunday show the week before because of the Tonys). But that's just a one-off.

Updated On: 2/14/24 at 06:13 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14Thursday and Friday Matinee?
Posted: 6/7/24 at 8:05am

FYI, Illinoise has a Friday matinee today. Should be an easy rush ticket to get if you're available.

Videos