London - mid March 2023

yyys
#1London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/28/23 at 6:35pm

Any other musicals/plays in London that might be worth seeing?

I would like to see:

A Streetcar Named Desire

Newsies

Cabaret (for the third time with new cast)

Bonnie & Clyde (ambivalent about this)

2;22 A Ghost Story

My Son's A Queer (not sure about this either)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/28/23 at 7:02pm

In addition to those you listed, in March I also have tickets for 

-Sylvia (Old Vic)

-Oklahoma (Wyndham’s Theatre)

-Bake Off Musical (Noel Coward Theatre)

- Allegiance (Charing Cross Theatre) 

- Guys & Dolls (Bridge Theatre)

-Standing at the Sky’s Edge (National)

-Shirley Valentine (Duke of York)

yyys
#3London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/28/23 at 7:13pm

Thanks Jordan... Standing at the Sky’s Edge sounds interesting!

Jordan Catalano
#4London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/28/23 at 7:23pm

Reviews have been fantastic so I’m very excited for it. Also, Beverly Knight in “Sylvia” and I never miss a Beverly Knight musical. 

thedrybandit
#5London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/28/23 at 10:13pm

If you just want a fun, light ninety minutes, I can't recommend Choir of Man at the Arts Theatre enough. I've caught it a few times now and it's some of the most fun I've had in a theater.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#6London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 3:57am

Bake Off is wonderful and well worth seeing.

yyys
#7London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 8:57am

Going!   

Mark_E said: "Bake Off is wonderful and well worth seeing."

Updated On: 1/29/23 at 08:57 AM

BETTY22
#8London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 10:15am

A Streetcar Named Desire - A must. It is glorious 

Cabaret (for the third time with new cast) - It's very dark. But it is still Cabaret. 

Bonnie & Clyde - I liked it better than the NYC production. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#9London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 7:21pm

Streetcar was one of the most riveting intense and entertaining 3 hours I have ever spent in a theater.  Highly recommend - and Cabaret was equally excellent.  Both must sees.

Guys & Dolls sounds interesting as its immersive (have never seen the show before).

Thinking about going in early Summer/late Spring and looking at

Private Lives (Donmar)

The Motive & The Cue

A Little Life

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 8:03pm

yyys said: "Any other musicals/plays in London that might be worth seeing?

I would like to see:

A Streetcar Named Desire

Newsies

Cabaret (for the third time with new cast)

Bonnie & Clyde (ambivalent about this)

2;22 A Ghost Story

My Son's A Queer (not sure about this either)

"

Skip 2:22 , super mediocre

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano
#11London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 8:29pm

See, I enjoyed “2:22”! I never see anything scary done well on stage and I thought this was mostly successful at creating something genuinely creepy with an ending I honestly didn’t expect. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#12London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 8:43pm

Throughly enjoyed 2:22. It was really a ton of fun.   Saw the LA production (great cast) and was soooo into it.  

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#13London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 9:07pm

Check out theatreboard.co.uk for discussion on various UK productions. 

Theatremonkey's twitter threatd also seems to identify productions not on West End but potentially worth checking out. 

And, I'm with Jordan and Vernon - I enjoyed 2:22 at the Criterion which is cozier than the Lyric where it presently is - until it's next transfer!. 

(Updated to correct spelling helpfully pointed out by a different theatremonkey! - the correct one is this one: Theatremonkey (@Theatremonkey1) / Twitter )

Updated On: 1/29/23 at 09:07 PM

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#14London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 9:58pm

ggersten said: "Check out theatreboard.co.uk for discussion on various UK productions.

Theatremonkey's twitter threat* also seems to productions not on West End but potentially worth checking out.

And, I'm with Jordan and Vernon - I enjoyed 2:22 at the Criterion which is cozier than the Lyric where it presently is - until it's next transfer!.
"

*Who, for the record, is not me!

ETA: I never Tweet, and seldom threat.

Updated On: 1/29/23 at 09:58 PM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#15London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 10:19pm

TheatreMonkey said: "ggersten said: "Check out theatreboard.co.uk for discussion on various UK productions.

Theatremonkey's twitter threat* also seems to productions not on West End but potentially worth checking out.

"

*Who, for the record, is not me!

ETA: I never Tweet, and seldom threat.
"

Sorry about that Chief!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#16London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/29/23 at 10:46pm

If mid-March extends, then Operation Mincemeat starts at the Fortune on 29 March.  I didn't get to set it on my last visit to London, but have only hear good things about it. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#17London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 5:46am

I'm planning to be in London the last couple days of March and first couple days of April and Micemeat, Cabaret, and Bakeoff are top of my list. 

Does anyone have good recs for a show that would be playing on Sundays then? My three are don't have any Sunday shows!

Jordan Catalano
#18London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 6:01am

Bake-Off has shows on Sunday. 

JasonC3
#19London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 6:23am

Menier Chocolate Factory often has Sunday performances.

This site lets you filter listings by performance date, but it often doesn't have some of the smaller venues.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#20London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 8:56am

Schedules here too. Theatremonkey Show Schedule

Owen22
#21London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 9:41am

The problem with Theater Monkey and some of these other sites is that they tend to only list the West End and more prominent off West End theater companies, when a lot of the best productions in London are at smaller venues such as the Orange Tree or Theatre East. Not to mention some fantastic plays and musicals I've seen at fringe pub theaters. This is a list of some of them:  https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/culture/art-theatre/the-best-off-west-end-theatres-in-london

yyys
#22London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 2:48pm

Looks like Heathers have shows Sundays at 5:30 PM.  However, I am not sure if it is any good.

jkcohen626 said: "Does anyone have good recs for a show that would be playing on Sundays then? My three are don't have any Sunday shows!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#23London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 2:56pm

yyys said: "Looks like Heathers have shows Sundays at 5:30 PM. However, I am not sure if it is any good.

jkcohen626 said: "Does anyone have good recs for a show that would be playing on Sundays then? My three are don't have any Sunday shows!"

"

It’s not. And didn’t they release a video recording anyway? I mean, if you have no other option and would prefer to see a show than do anything else I would still go to Heathers. But I think there are better ways to spend time. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#24London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 3:00pm

binau said: "yyys said: "Looks like Heathers have shows Sundays at 5:30 PM. However, I am not sure if it is any good.

"

It’s not. And didn’t they release a video recording anyway? I mean, if you have no other option and would prefer to see a show than do anything else I would still go to Heathers. But I think there are better ways to spend time.
"

Yes. The show was filmed and was available on Roku in the US (it still may be available). 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25London - mid March 2023
Posted: 1/30/23 at 3:21pm

Jordan Catalano said: "See, I enjoyed “2:22”! I never see anything scary done well on stage and I thought this was mostly successful at creating something genuinely creepy with an ending I honestly didn’t expect."

I don't regret seeing it. My biggest pet peeve is that there was a masterful piece in there somewhere that got taken over by a crowd pleaser. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE