News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga

Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 4:07pm

Cameron Mackintosh announced live on stage at the 23rd Annual WhatsOnStage Awards that Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends, which he devised and produced, will be returning to the West End for a full run this autumn.

The production, which picked up a WhatsOnStage Awards this evening after its initial staging in May of last year, will run at the Gielgud Theatre from 16 September for a 16-week limited season.

The show will welcome back a variety of stars from the original concert including the multi-award-winning Bernadette Peters (who will be making her full-length West End debut in the show), Christine Allado (Hamilton, The Prince of Egypt), Janie Dee (Carousel, Follies), Bonnie Langford (42nd Street, 9 to 5) and Jeremy Secomb (Sweeney Todd, Les Misérables).

Set to join them for the season are Lea Salonga (returning to the London stage for the first time in 27 years in the show), Beatrice Penny-Touré (The Phantom of the Opera, winner of the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation Scholarship), Joanna Riding (CarouselFollies) and Jac Yarrow (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat). Further names set to appear during the 16 weeks is to be revealed.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/stephen-sondheim-old-friends-west-end_58321.html

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 4:40pm

Damn! I'm only gonna be in London till July 8! Wish they could've done this during the summer! Either way, this is gonna be a great run! Hopefully, we can get something similar in NYC soon!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 4:57pm

Damnit I’m JUST getting back from London a few weeks before that and now I gotta go again for the start of this. When Queen Bernadette calls, I must answer. 

Alessio2
#4Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 5:05pm

This is incredible and I just so happen to have a trip planned to London in mid september for other shows!

Dylan Smith4
#5Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 5:34pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Damnit I’m JUST getting back from London a few weeks before that and now I gotta go again for the start of this. When Queen Bernadette calls, I must answer."

Man, I wish I could travel to London as much as you do Jordan! I haven't been there in almost 5 years! I'm excited to be going over there this summer though! I'll just keep my fingers crossed for something similar to be staged in NYC!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 5:37pm

The dream would be for Bernadette to bring back to New York next Spring for a limited run. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Dylan Smith4
#7Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 5:56pm

binau said: "The dream would be for Bernadette to bring back to New York next Spring for a limited run."

Oh, that would be great! Maybe even bring Patti and Matt Doyle back! I would do anything to see Matt sing "Not Getting Married Today" again!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 6:07pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "binau said: "The dream would be for Bernadette to bring back to New York next Spring for a limited run."

Oh, that would be great! Maybe even bring Patti and Matt Doyle back! I would do anything to see Matt sing "Not Getting Married Today" again!
"

We know Patti ain’t happening…for the obvious reasons

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dylan Smith4
#9Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 6:24pm

quizking101 said: "We know Patti ain’t happening…for the obvious reasons"

I know. It would be nice to have her back but oh well. 

Jordan Catalano
#10Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 7:03pm

Patti can still perform on Broadway and my money is on her doing it again sooner rather than later. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 7:14pm

I believe this is all set for a Broadway run next spring, and it already seems destined to rack up some 2024 Tonys. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4
#12Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 7:19pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I believe this is all set for a Broadway run next spring, and it already seems destined to rack up some 2024 Tonys."

We can only hope!

BETTY22
#13Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 7:52pm

Anyone else looking into flight to London? Wink

Jordan Catalano
#14Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 7:58pm

Anyone planning a trip to see this can also check out the English language premiere of “Rebecca” At the Charing Cross theatre, starting around the same date. 

Ke3
#15Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 8:05pm

If the NYC rumour is true hopefully Lea comes too and NY producers remember she's alive.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#16Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 8:10pm

I really hope this takes the Sondheim after & Juliet concludes its cult classic run in January. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#18Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 8:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "“& Juliet” is at the Shaftesbury, where “Mrs. Doubtfire” begins in the Spring. “Les Miserables” is at the Sondheim."

I’m talking about when this comes to Broadway next spring. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4
#19Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 8:20pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "“& Juliet” is at the Shaftesbury, where “Mrs. Doubtfire” begins in the Spring. “Les Miserables” is at the Sondheim."

I’m talking about when this comes to Broadway next spring.
"

& Juliet seems to be doing well so far. We have to wait and see how it goes during awards season. I agree though, it would be wonderful to have this show at the Sondheim! 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#20Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/12/23 at 11:48pm

I bet this will land on Broadway as well for a limited engagement spring '24 ... Bernadette Peters and ?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/12/23 at 11:48 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#21Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/13/23 at 12:02am

With Jac Yarrow booked for this is it safe to assume Joseph won’t be coming to Broadway this year?

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#22Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/13/23 at 1:50pm

I just checked my frequent flyer miles. London, here I come.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
binau Profile Photo
binau
#24Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:22am

Was just dreaming that if it came to Broadway it would be amazing if it was finally the Bernadette/Patti show we’ve always dreamed of. The set list could easily suit both headlining. I would not be surprised if Patti was already asked for the west end run and said no lol. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Dylan Smith4
#25Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends to run in the West End with Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga
Posted: 2/21/23 at 7:41am

binau said: "Was just dreaming that if it came to Broadway it would be amazing if it was finally the Bernadette/Patti show we’ve always dreamed of. The set list could easily suit both headlining. I would not be surprised if Patti was already asked for the west end run and said no lol."

Now that you mentioned it, I’m also a bit surprised that Patti isn’t doing it in London. I think she loves it over there more than NYC. Correct me if I’m wrong. As for a Bernadette/Patti show on Broadway, I think that’s definitely possible! Just depends on if the Queen herself wants to do it or not! 

Videos