News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New West End GUYS AND DOLLS

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 6:54pm

Hate to start a thread about this here but someone asked about it and I told them I’d let them know my thoughts and I can’t find the thread. Anyways, the first preview was tonight and it’s one of the best things I’ve seen in quite a while. So if anyone is going over to London in the next few months be sure to get a ticket to this because the space isn’t huge and it’s going to sell out. 

JasonC3
#2New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 7:03pm

Perfect timing as I was just reading some of the early praise over at theatreboard.co.uk.

The Bridge Theatre certainly has priced tickets as if they think this will be an extended hit.  Cheap by NYC standards, but darn high for London lol.

Can you share where you sat Jordan and if you have any advice on areas to avoid or ones you think would be better?

Jordan Catalano
#3New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 7:08pm

I sat in the gallery and would say that’s best. The entire stalls is the “immersive” bit which really is just 200 or so people standing tightly being shuffled around by staff to make room for moving set pieces. It looks exceptionally uncomfortable. But it IS cheaper I believe than gallery seating and if that’s what your budget allows for, I say go for it just so you can see this show. 

yyys
#4New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 7:23pm

I got 2 gallery seats, it says high seats...is that what you had Jordan?

Jordan Catalano
#5New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 7:41pm

The seats are “high” (i was in gallery 1) but nothing where i I’d say “wow that’s high”. I’d still prefer them over standing down there. Personal preference, is all. 

yyys
#6New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 7:45pm

Yeah I think you paid more in Gallery 1... mine are in Gallery 2.  I don't want to stand either.

Jordan Catalano
#7New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 8:06pm

I think you’ll be fine. There should be some pics on seatplan you can see from your seat. It’s also a small space so instead of being farther back like in a normal “mezz” you’re a bit higher. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 8:37pm

I still remember watching the last Guys and Dolls in London on YouTub and loving it and then seeing the Oliver Platt revival and thinking the show was so dull. 

JasonC3
#9New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 8:42pm

I am intrigued by those seats that are labeled as "high."  They sound a bit like bar stools with backs given that they also have foot rests, but who knows?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#10New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 9:42pm

Thanks for sharing, Jordan! I have a West End trip planned for the summer and need to send you a private message eventually to ask for recs. Did you happen to get any pics of your trip to G&D?

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#11New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/3/23 at 11:44pm

I’m confused by Jordan’s statement that “The entire stalls is the immersive bit”. It’s late at night, and I’m probably just being dense, but on the Bridge’s website, it shows “Immersive tickets — standing stage area” as one option, and then it lists three separate options for seated tickets:  Stalls, Gallery 1, and Gallery 2. From the photo on the website, it looks like Stalls is on the same level as the “immersive” area where people are standing and moving around, but that there are seats in the area designated as Stalls. 

Also, the seats in Stalls are higher-priced than the seats in Gallery 1, so presumably the Bridge thinks Stalls seats are more desirable than Gallery 1 seats, but I’m wondering if the view from Gallery 1 might actually be better because it wouldn’t be blocked by people standing in the “immersive” area. Any thoughts on that?

Jordan Catalano
#12New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/4/23 at 1:13am

No you’re right. The way it’s set up, those seats are “above” the immersive area but still considered stalls seating. 
Sorry for that, it was really late when I wrote that up. It’s really early here now too and I’m still exhausted. :)

JasonC3
#13New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/4/23 at 6:52am

On a mildly trivial note, can I just say how much I love the Bridge PDF ticket?

It is ad-free, visually uncluttered, and contains a simple but useful map showing the theatre's locations with the crossroads clearly labeled and the two nearest Tube stations highlighted.

Further, it folds into quarters for easy placement in a pocket and they even provide a diagram showing you how to do exactly that.

Genius!

Jordan Catalano
#14New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/4/23 at 7:16am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Thanks for sharing, Jordan! I have a West End trip planned for the summer and need to send you a private message eventually to ask for recs. Did you happen to get any pics of your trip to G&D?"

Sure thing, message me anytime. Always happy to help/advise. And I did take pics last night but I don’t know how to post them here. If anyone can direct me on how, I will. 

JasonC3
#15New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/4/23 at 8:31am

I think you have to post it on one of the free third-party hosting sites (like imgur.com) and then put that URL in after you select the photo/image icon in a post's menu bar.

If you Google, "how to post a pic to broadwayworld" you should get results with several previous threads that provide more detail than I have here.

Updated On: 3/4/23 at 08:31 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#16New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/4/23 at 2:12pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Hate to start a thread about this here but someone asked about it and I told them I’d let them know my thoughts and I can’t find the thread. Anyways, the first preview was tonight and it’s one of the best things I’ve seen in quite a while. So if anyone is going over to London in the next few months be sure to get a ticket to this because the space isn’t huge and it’s going to sell out.

"

Going in two weeks and just hope I can stand for three hours lol

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Owen22
#17New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/4/23 at 8:38pm

Back in London myself and am seeing this at the end of the month. A friend Whatsapp'd me tonight after seeing it and raved and raved. Looking very much forward to it!

mememe
#18New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/5/23 at 4:29am

Not to be ‘that guy’ but this isn’t in the West End. Things will get confusing if you are in the West End of London, asking a cab to take you to this! 😜 It’s in a theatre near London Bridge

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#19New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/5/23 at 5:03am

mememe said: "Not to be ‘that guy’ but this isn’t in the West End. Things will get confusing if you are in the West End of London, asking a cab to take you to this! ? It’s in a theatre near London Bridge"

Also not to be "that guy," but if you go to London Bridge, you will also be in the wrong place because the "bridge" in "Bridge Theatre" is actually Tower Bridge. Tower Bridge is the very famous extravagant one. London Bridge is a rather pedestrian bridge just down the river. 

Updated On: 3/5/23 at 05:03 AM

JasonC3
#20New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:52am

And this is why that PDF Bridge ticket is so genius.  It clears up up any confusion about location and which "bridge"
wink

Updated On: 3/5/23 at 06:52 AM

dangeresque49
#21New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/7/23 at 10:27pm

Jordan Catalano said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "Thanks for sharing, Jordan! I have a West End trip planned for the summer and need to send you a private message eventually to ask for recs. Did you happen to get any pics of your trip to G&D?"

Sure thing, message me anytime. Always happy to help/advise. And I did take pics last night but I don’t know how to post them here. If anyone can direct me on how, I will.
"

It is frankly unbelievable that this is a dominant Broadway forum and the site is so bad. I think eventually this will die to reddit or something else since the site owners are seemingly unwilling to modernize. Honestly this is much like a relic of old sports forums for me. 

mememe
#22New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/8/23 at 5:28am

jkcohen626 said: "mememe said: "Not to be ‘that guy’ but this isn’t in the West End. Things will get confusing if you are in the West End of London, asking a cab to take you to this! ? It’s in a theatre near London Bridge"

Also not to be "that guy," but if you go to London Bridge, you will also be in the wrong place because the "bridge" in "Bridge Theatre" is actually Tower Bridge. Tower Bridge is the very famous extravagant one. London Bridge is a rather pedestrian bridge just down the river.
"

Very true! It’s by London Bridge Station, and geography in my brain is always what Stalin is closest to something 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/14/23 at 12:30pm

A taste of the music courtesy of Charlie Rosen, who did the new orchestrations:

An Afro-Cuban arrangement of the title song for the exit music: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpSwpPcOI7P/?hl=en

The overture: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpxoNYUjXjM/?hl=en

joshdog2014
#24New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/15/23 at 7:55pm

I saw this tonight from the standing area and really enjoyed it! Standing for the entire time definitely takes a toll but I think it was worth it for the unique experience of the whole thing. I can’t say if it’s like this every night, but tonight there was plenty of space and nobody was pushy about getting to certain spots.

As mentioned in other posts, as the pieces of the stage rise and lower there were staff moving us out of the way in preparation or letting us know we could fill in a space. The movement was somewhat distracting but not too bad. With not much effort at all I was able to consistently stay in good positions, although no matter where you stand it should be a great view. Most of the show felt staged very evenly except for Sit Down You’re Rockin’ the Boat which was disappointingly focused almost completely on the front side (where you enter). The encores of the song do much better though.

I also really enjoyed the “immersive” elements, from the food and merchandise carts before the show to the acknowledgement/engagement with the audience during songs and such.

Updated On: 3/15/23 at 07:55 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25New West End GUYS AND DOLLS
Posted: 3/15/23 at 9:01pm

This is probably one of my least favorite shows ever - having only seen the Platt revival - but I love the director/designer of this, so very interested. If you take away the immersive experience, is there anything new? Or is the sho the immersive experience? If that makes sense. Also, where would this end up here? Likely the Circle?

Videos