Park in the Theatre District

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 2:45pm

Why isn’t there any park in the theatre district. The only place to sit down is in Times Square, which is trash. I Think it would be great for the entire community if there was a Broadway park where people could go to, to hang out and sit before their shows. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#2Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 2:52pm

I'm not trying to be rude, but the Theatre District is literally bookended by both Bryant Park and Central Park.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#3Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 2:55pm

Literally walk a block east. 

Hairspray0901
#4Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 3:48pm

Not really a park but if you're looking for a place to sit outdoors in the theatre district there a few public courtyards with chairs and tables - World Wide Plaza (between 49th and 50th streets, between 8th and 9th Avenues) or another one on the same streets but between 7th and 6th avenues.

These are of course in addition to Bryant Park which is rather close (42nd Street and 6th Avenue).

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 4:24pm

Who in God’s Earth wants to hang around Times Square?! Whenever I see a show I’m in and out of there in seconds. I don’t even use the 42nd Street subway station. I’d rather walk either east or west AWAY from Times Square at all costs.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 5:21pm

Which block in the area would you like to raze for a park to be built? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/6/23 at 05:21 PM

Broadway Flash
#7Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 5:23pm

I’m not talking about a big park, but a small park like bowling green. They just razed a building on 49th adjacent to Book of Mormon with a small building in between. That lot would be perfect!

JSquared2
#8Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 5:37pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Literally walk a block east."

Or South.  Or North.  Or even West (Pier 40, tons of small HK parks).  

OP is trolling (again).

Phantom4ever
#9Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 5:51pm

Wow. I'm surprised at the amount of Times Square hate on this board. I don't necessarily love to get my picture taken with costumed characters, but I've always found TS to be charming. I love to sit on the granite seating in front of the red stairs and people watch. I have several Times Square pictures and paintings in my apartment. I think it's beautiful and colorful and urban. 

Side note, I used some of the replies in this thread to teach my HS students about the difference between literal and figurative language and how we English teachers are still fighting the good fight against using literally figuratively : )

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 6:00pm

Kad said: "Which block in the area would you like to raze for a park to be built?"

I say green space, pedestrians, theatres, office buildings, and elegant dining establishments *only* from 40-50th, 6th-8th aves. That shouldn’t cause any issues Park in the Theatre District

Broadway Flash
#11Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 6:15pm

I would do away with the skyscrapers too. Time disgorge the corporations, repossess the real estate, and take back out community. And toss out the characters from Times Square. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#12Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 6:23pm

^Ok I’ll bite, what are you ever talking about 

Broadway Flash
#13Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 6:49pm

I was responding to ermengarde. It’s about what we would like to see in the theatre district. Green spaces and theatres and elegance. Not **** like Dave and busters and Morgan Stanley 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#14Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 7:28pm

They may not be park spaces exactly, but you can sit up on Broadway between 50th & 51st or less than a block from Bryant Park between 41st & 42nd. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 7:49pm

Broadway Flash said: "I was responding to ermengarde. It’s about what we would like to see in the theatre district. Green spaces and theatres and elegance. 

The theater district has never been like that. Ever.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#16Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 8:14pm

Times Square is a mega commercial tourism hub. New York needs people to go there and spend money - you can go to Bryant or Central if you are so desperate to touch grass (which..frankly...you should).

Broadway Flash
#17Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 8:19pm

Kad said: "The theater district has never been like that. Ever. "

it’s never been this bad. You walk out of your show on 44th, and walk into a refugee camp. Among many other problems. But I guess nobody’s interested in making it better. Sigh

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 9:48pm

on further thought, they should get rid of the theatres too. just give everyone VR headsets & headphones so they can watch while bumbling around in the newly-created park spaces. and watching those people becomes theatre in its own right.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 10:09pm

Broadway Flash said: "Kad said: "The theater district has never been like that. Ever. "

it’s never been this bad. You walk out of your show on 44th, and walk into a refugee camp. Among many other problems. But I guess nobody’s interested in making it better. Sigh
"

So it’s not just about thinking it’d “great for the entire community if there was a Broadway park where people could go to.” 

Broadway Flash
#20Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/6/23 at 10:17pm

My thought was about a park, and then the conversation got broadened. I think a park would be nice, and yes I’ve always been outspoken, as others on this board have alluded to, about the shi*hole that is 42nd and Times Square, and 8th Avenue. 

annang
#21Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/7/23 at 12:47am

There's a park exactly like what you're asking for right next to the Walter Kerr, one block away from the Eugene O'Neill. But your most recent comment about 44th street being a "refugee camp" makes it sound more like you don't want a public park, you want a private park so you can be outdoors but only with people who have purchased tickets to a Broadway show, and can exclude unhoused people, immigrants, or both.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/7/23 at 12:58am

Maybe they mean more of a green space? Besides Central Park or Riverside there’s not a ton of open green spaces. Bryant Park is fine but when the grass section is closed off there’s not much else to it. 

annang
#23Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/7/23 at 1:03am

Yes, besides the most visited park in the world and two other major green spaces within walking distance, there is little grass in one of the most densely built urban neighborhoods in the world. But based on the initial focus on a place for Broadway ticketholders to sit down, and then subsequent comments, I really don't think that's what OP was talking about.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#24Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/7/23 at 1:10am

Go back to Jersey broheim, seems like more your speed.

Broadway Flash
#25Park in the Theatre District
Posted: 4/7/23 at 11:27am

Patti Lupone agrees with me

Latest Posts