Todd Haimes has passed

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:19pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrPTOiTMnJ-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

With great sadness, we announce the loss of Todd Haimes, who led Roundabout since 1983 with kindness and brilliance. We share our deep sympathy with his family. We will devote our hearts to ensuring Roundabout continues to serve the love of theatre he instilled in us all.

Updated On: 4/19/23 at 09:19 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:20pm

Condolences to his family and loved ones, but he should have stepped down years ago. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#3Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:25pm

This is awful. So sorry to hear it. Was just talking to him a few months ago. Was he sick? He never gave any indication. Edit  - I see from the news story that he had cancer. Grrrrrrr. So upset. 

Updated On: 4/19/23 at 09:25 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#4Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:28pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/19/theater/todd-haimes-dead.html

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#5Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:44pm

A friend told me just the other day he was sick and I felt awful cuz I had no idea.

But rest in peace. What an achievement, what he built.

Robbie516
#6Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:56pm

So sad…RIP…any word on who will take over? I would think Scott Ellis

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#7Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 10:09pm

How awful. Just got their email. He made a tremendous impact on the scene.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#8Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 10:12pm

Robbie516 said: "So sad…RIP…any word on who will take over? I would think Scott Ellis"

From the email they sent:

”We are deeply grateful to Scott Ellis, who has worked by Todd’s side for over 30 years as Deputy Artistic Director, who is stepping in as Interim Artistic Director to help shepherd us through along with the rest of the Roundabout team.”

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

JSquared2
#9Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 10:38pm

Kad said: "Condolences to his family and loved ones, but he should have stepped down years ago."

Wow —that’s pretty disgusting. 

RUkiddingme
#10Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/19/23 at 10:52pm

I didn't know the man - but he sure had a huge impact on my theater going since I moved to NYC.

He will be missed!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/20/23 at 12:04am

Sad! He did a lot of great things for the American Theater! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/20/23 at 12:33am

Some people seem to forget that Roundabout was barely scraping by before Todd transformed it. It was a tiny institution on the brink of bankruptcy. There would be no Roundabout on Broadway without him -- or at least it wouldn't have had this trajectory.

You also have to remember that in the 90s when Roundabout started producing Bway musical revivals, those weren't nearly as common as they are now. Their first She Loves Me felt fresh because it was unlike anything else on Bway at the time. He did a lot for the American theatre, and when the Broadway landscape was suffering in the 90s, he seized the moment.

One benchmark of good nonprofit leadership is artist retention. The stars and major directors could work anywhere but they chose to work at Roundabout. And let's not forget the great work at Roundabout Underground and the Pels.

Scott Ellis is a good choice to step in, and they have a deep bench of existing leadership until a new AD comes in. Considering Todd's condition, a succession plan has likely been in the works for a while and pre-approved by key Board members –– this isn't a matter of Frank and Karl and Karolina trying to hash it out on a private jet.

Updated On: 4/20/23 at 12:33 AM

The Scorpion
#13Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/20/23 at 8:18am

Very sad news. He was a visionary.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 4/28/23 at 6:45pm

A lovely tribute to Todd Haimes by Jill Rafson, the artistic director of Classic Stage Co. who previously worked for Roundabout for 15+ years.

It's hard to fathom who might take over as Artistic Director after Scott Ellis' interim period –– and as one of the biggest nonprofits in the country & a major employer, it isn't insensitive or too early to speculate about this. It'll probably be a name that we know who is already AD of a NYC nonprofit theatre. Sydney Beers (Roundabout's longtime EP) will be a big asset in shouldering some of the responsibilities, but this is a hefty and demanding job. Producing & programming seasons is just a tiny fraction of it.

Updated On: 4/28/23 at 06:45 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#15Todd Haimes has passed
Posted: 5/18/23 at 1:56pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-to-dim-its-lights-in-memory-of-todd-haimes

To honor the memory of Roundabout Theatre Company Artistic Director and CEO Todd Haimes, who passed away April 19 at the age of 66, the Committee of Theatre Owners will dim the lights of Broadway theatres in New York for one minute June 1 at 6:45 PM.