TKTS Line

BdwyFan
#1TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 7:04pm

I’ve not been to the TKTS booth in a long while and was there today.  Shocked how uninformed people are.  We live in a Broadway bubble.  Someone asked for Mamma Mia tickets and another couple wanted to see Cats.  Should I be shocked ?

Dollypop
#2TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 8:51pm

I taught with a young fellow who asked me to help him organize a class trip to see WEST SIDE STORY on Broadway. You had to see the expression on his face when I told him it wasn't running!!

(I loaned him my copy of the movie)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 8:58pm

Doesn’t TKTS also display the shows up for sale at each booth, in addition to the big red LED boards by the entrance? 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dollypop
#4TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 9:03pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Doesn’t TKTS also display the shows up for sale at each booth, in addition to the big red LED boards by the entrance?"

Yes they do

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 9:24pm

Well, when I was near the times Square booth during the week, I noticed the line was only on one side of the trailer... and the opposite side from the sign. If you don't know there IS a sign, you wouldn't look for it.

And people are naive and uneducated.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

KathyNYC2
#6TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 9:42pm

There are two signs - one on each side of the ticket windows..But there are also some TKTS employees talking to the people on line "helping" them decide what to see. A few of them are like bizarre...I have yet to figure out why you would recommend Kimberly Akimbo to an older non-american couple who barely spoke English and had no clue what it was about. This would not have been my first recommendation fo them... even though I personally loved it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 9:59pm

Anytime I've been in line at TKTS, I'm more and more shocked at the comments of the people around me. 

- This is the only place to get cheap Wicked tickets.

- I was told I can get Hamilton tickets here for under $100.

- Nathan Lane's in the new musical that's gonna win all of the Tony's (last month).

- Chicago is up there, can't wait to see Bebe Neuwirth(2019)!

- You get the best seats by buying your tickets here.

It's simply utterly dumbfounding how people don't do their research before attempting to see a show on Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#8TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 10:06pm

I get it, but is it dumbfounding? Or is it just not as important to them as it is to us? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9TKTS Line
Posted: 4/22/23 at 10:11pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "I get it, but is it dumbfounding? Or is it just not as important to them as it is to us?"

Just laziness of people not doing their research looking to see a certain show. Almost everyone has a smartphone now, takes a few minutes to look up some basic information.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LarryD2
#10TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:18am

We do live in a Broadway bubble. Not everyone who visits NYC once or twice a year (if that) keeps up with Broadway openings and closings. The last time I waited on the TKTS line, around 2007, the couple in front of me said they were hoping to see James Earl Jones in ON GOLDEN POND. I had to burst their bubble and inform them that it had closed two years earlier.

Dollypop
#11TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 5:16pm

Just this past week I used an Uber to take me home from the train station. He was pleasant enough and asked how my day had been. I told him I'd been to a Broadway show that afternoon and he had NO IDEA what live theater was about. He couldn't fathom the idea of actors performing in front of audiences 8 times a week. 

BTW: He was college educated and driving for Uber between job interviews.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#12TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 5:45pm

Dollypop said: "Just this past week I used an Uber to take me home from the train station. He was pleasant enough and asked how my day had been. I told him I'd been to a Broadway show that afternoon and he had NO IDEA what live theater was about. He couldn't fathom the idea of actors performing in front of audiences 8 times a week.

"

Like he had never heard of the concept of a play? That I call BS on. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#13TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 6:30pm

When we got tickets there those workers in the booth were always rude and miserable. Not happy campers. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#14TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:08pm

can you buy tkts the day before for the evening performance?

Dollypop
#15TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:37pm

This goes back a few years:

I was standing on the TKTS line and there was a stereotypical Texan (10 gallon hat, boots) ahead of me. He was complaining about the amount of HOMO-sexuals in NYC. He turned to me and asked if I could suggest a "good, wholesome show with music that had good family values." I kept a straight face and suggested LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, which was playing across the street at the Palace. He went up to the ticket window and bought tickets for the show (and mangled the title of the show in the process). 

Oh how I wish I was sitting behind him during that performance!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#16TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:44pm

Broadway Flash said: "can you buy tkts the day before for the evening performance?"

no, only day before matinees.

Dollypop
#17TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:47pm

jkcohen626 said: "Dollypop said: "Just this past week I used an Uber to take me home from the train station. He was pleasant enough and asked how my day had been. I told him I'd been to a Broadway show that afternoon and he had NO IDEA what live theater was about. He couldn't fathom the idea of actors performing in front of audiences 8 times a week.

"

Like he had never heard of the concept of a play? That I call BS on. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
"

I'm only reporting an conversation during an 8.minute drive home.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#18TKTS Line
Posted: 4/23/23 at 11:38pm

A did a year-and-a-half stint as one of the show promoters at TKTS. And while, yes, sometimes it can be fun to joke about the wild misinformation and misunderstandings that makes their way to tourists, it's important to remember that Broadway is, in fact, a pretty niche, self-contained bubble.

I think the key thing here is that most of the show people have HEARD OF are long-running. So if you're unfamiliar with the system, it's not a huge leap to casually assume that most shows in general run for a long time. Even more understandable to casually assume a show that actually WAS long-running (Cats, Mamma Mia, etc.) might still be around.

Sort of reminds of when I was in Venice, and I heard that Di Vinci's famous Vitruvian Man sketch was located at the Gallerie dell'Accademia museum. I went through the whole museum (and enjoyed it), but didn't realize until the end that in fact, the Vitruvian Man sketch is LOCATED there, but isn't displayed for public viewing. Sure, I could've done my research, but was it so strange of an assumption to think that a very famous piece of art might be displayed in the museum where it was located? And in general, I enjoy going to museums, but I don't pay close attention to what's part of the permanent collection, what's temporary, what's out on loan, etc. So I might be a disappointed to miss a certain exhibit or painting, but I'll probably still enjoy what I do end up seeing. I'd guess that tourists coming to see famous, long-running Broadway shows think of it in much the same way. Like the permanent collection.

Planning to a trip takes a lot of time and energy, and there are SO many things to research when you're going to a new city. Some research things will fall through the cracks, so you make some assumptions, and some of those assumptions will turn out to be wrong.

Updated On: 4/23/23 at 11:38 PM

OMG U Guyz
#19TKTS Line
Posted: 4/24/23 at 11:47am

It’s just surprising bc of the price of tickets these days even on TKTS 

Videos