EDSOSLO858
#1THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 4/27/23 at 5:17pm

Oh look, a bibu!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 4/27/23 at 5:33pm

I don't believe this is being re-reviewed. Vulture already posted the BAM review with a note, which I suspect other outlets will do, as well.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 4/27/23 at 9:57pm

It appears there also was no formal “opening night” affair either. I’m at the stage door with my friend right now.

We did see André DeShields glide out of the theatre though and that was pretty cool

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

MemorableUserName
#4THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:41am

Looks like the show is being reviewed again by some outlets...a week later?

NYT has a new review from Laura Collins-Hughes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/05/theater/the-sign-in-sidney-brusteins-window-review.html

"Yet this seldom-seen play itself is a powerful draw. Clamorous with the voices of men, who take up an awful lot of oxygen, it is most incisive and piercing in the voices of its women, whom Hansberry draws with exquisite fullness. As a piece of theatrical and cultural history it is fascinating. And despite some sluggish moments, it does not feel overlong at two hours and 40 minutes, trimmed from three hours at BAM.

The script’s unevenness does make you wonder, though, how Hansberry might have reworked it if she’d had the energy, and the privilege of time — and to what degree she, a Black woman and closeted lesbian in the very white, very male, ostensibly straight world of midcentury American theater, felt pressure to conform in her playmaking.

Because really? Sidney Brustein, whom she has placed at the center of this crowded tragicomedy, is not an interesting person. This is not Isaac’s fault, although he ignores Hansberry’s stipulation that Sidney “laughs at himself as much as the world.” Isaac’s performance is mostly unremarkable but fine, sparking fully to life only in Sidney’s scenes with Iris’s wealthy, conventional sister, Mavis — the best role in the show, and the best played, by a thoroughly captivating Miriam Silverman. (The play is a Tony nominee for best revival; Silverman is its only acting nominee.)"

(Green's review of the production at BAM is here: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/27/theater/the-sign-in-sidney-brusteins-window-bam-review.html)

MemorableUserName
#5THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:42am

Theatermania:

Review: Seeing a Portrait of the Artist in The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window

Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan transfer to Broadway with Lorraine Hansberry’s lesser-known drama.

https://www.theatermania.com/news/review-seeing-a-portrait-of-the-artist-in-the-sign-in-sidney-brusteins-window_1701190/

MemorableUserName
#6THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:43am

Variety:

‘The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window’ Review: Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan Lead a Thrilling Broadway Revival of Lorraine Hansberry’s Final Play

https://variety.com/2023/legit/reviews/the-sign-in-sidney-brusteins-window-review-oscar-isaac-rachel-brosnahan-1235604420/

MemorableUserName
#8THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:44am

Daily Beast has a revised version of the BAM review:

Review: Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan Bring ‘Sidney Brustein’ to Broadway

Snubbed this week by the Tony Awards, the star power of Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan brings life—but not sense—to “The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window,” now on Broadway.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/review-oscar-isaac-and-rachel-brosnahan-bring-sidney-brustein-to-broadway

MemorableUserName
#9THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:47am

Chicago Tribune is a rave:

Review: ‘The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window’: The Goodman play shines on Broadway with Rachel Brosnahan

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/broadway/ct-ent-broadway-sign-sidney-brusteins-window-review-goodman-theatre-20230505-v3om4vydd5dohfsekril3ozira-story.html

"“Sign” is an extraordinary piece of writing: wise, vulnerable, rooted, funny and, above all, gorgeously poetic in its lyrical aspirations. Sure, Act 2 might have been even tighter if Hansberry had not been dying during previews. But so what? The script already was a masterpiece.

I fell hard for this show when I first saw Kauffman’s production in 2016 at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, and it’s even better on Broadway where it now pulses with present-tense, in-the-moment acting. I’d swear no two performances of this show are even close to the same; this cast is far too alive for that.

Nobody is sitting in a chair or behind a desk here, nor keeping everyone at a stylish, monologic remove. Brosnahan, an actress of formidable capability, is wrestling near to the death with every other actor in this ring, baring her soul. Her lack of a Tony Award nomination is simply absurd, given that this is far and away the performance in a play all season."

MemorableUserName
#10THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:49am

4 stars from NY Theatre Guide:

'The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window' review — Lorraine Hansberry's play holds a mirror to the world

https://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/reviews/the-sign-in-sidney-brusteins-window-broadway-review

MemorableUserName
#11THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/5/23 at 11:50am

NY Review of Books:

Every Man His Own Hipster
A new production of Lorraine Hansberry’s The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window retains the play’s sense of imperfect community and teeming life.

Updated On: 5/5/23 at 11:50 AM

gibsons2
#12THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 5/12/23 at 2:31pm

Those who went to see the play in the past few days, was there any merch for sale? When I saw one of the first few previews, I was told the merch is coming soon.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/18/23 at 3:50pm

Seeing online that both Oscar and Rachel are out today. Yikes - hope everyone is ok. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#14THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/18/23 at 7:35pm

Victoria Clark was out this afternoon, as was Jordan Donica.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#15THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/20/23 at 12:24am

Selling one (1) ticket to THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW for Wednesday evening 7pm.

Balcony Aisle Seat - $50 OBO

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Globefan
#16THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/20/23 at 2:51pm

Rachel was in LA probably for her Lois Lane screen test. 

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#17THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/20/23 at 3:31pm

Rachel was not advertised and/or wasn’t much notice. My friend had our tickets for months and got notified at 12pm she was out of both shows per email and then later she was also out Sunday.

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#18THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/21/23 at 8:52pm

Globefan said: "Rachel was in LA probably for her Lois Lane screen test."

Didn't Gunn deny that? And I doubt she'd get it. She's far too old for the role now. She can still be Sue Storm in the MCU, though. Maybe Oscar can help her with that.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#19THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/27/23 at 7:26pm

Rachel Brosnahan has landed the plum role of Lois Lane in James Gunn's new Superman film, Superman: Legacy. David Corenswet, from Ryan Murphy's The Politician and Hollywood, will play Superman/Clark Kent:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/superman-legacy-cast-david-corenswet-rachel-brosnahan-1235358907/

THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews

Updated On: 6/27/23 at 07:26 PM

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#20THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/28/23 at 9:15am

Does anyone know if this is being recorded? I was in the mezzanine on Friday and they had three cameras setup in the front row. From looking at them during the show, they are getting some closeup and complicated shots. I don’t know if the Lincoln Center tapping collection has upped their game, but this seemed more involved and less stationary than usual.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#21THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN’S WINDOW Reviews
Posted: 6/28/23 at 11:35am

Auggie27 said: "Victoria Clark was out this afternoon, as was Jordan Donica."

I've tried to see Donica 2x now and he was out both days.  Hoping the third time is the charm.