pixeltracker

SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE

SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 1:26pm

Interesting!

As recently as January, there was a different Broadway-bound ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE in development (Branden Jacobs-Jenkins adapting, Thomas Ostermeier directing, David Binder producing), but obviously that won't happen for a while now because of this version.

Will be interesting to see how this one sells. Brian Cox didn't sell at all in GREAT SOCIETY, which opened at the peak of season 2 SUCCESSION hype, but there might have been some LBJ fatigue at play there + poor reviews.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#3SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 1:39pm

Wow! What a double-whammy reading this announcement, followed by reading Ermendgarde's post lol

I guess I would've preferred to see the Jacobs-Jenkins/Ostermeier version, but this is still pretty intriguing to me.

I realize many people despised Sam Gold's Glass Menagerie, but I thought it was quite good - much better than his Shakespeare productions, even though it still had that "experimental" style. If this production is closer to his Glass Menagerie than it is to his Shakespeare (as I'd predict it to be, given the comparatively contemporary scripts)

As for whether this is a good fit for Strong: I'd say so

KevinKlawitter
#4SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 1:49pm

Interesting that it's another Amy Herzog translation. I believe Jeremy and Jessica Chastain are friends, so maybe that had something to do with this.

At any rate, this is a terrific time for a revival of this play. Hopefully it doesn't tone down the dark comedy and the sanctimoniousness of Stockmann, because those are some of the most relevant parts of the show.

PipingHotPiccolo
#5SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 1:54pm

excited to see this play, whoever is in it, and Strong is a scary good actor (on succession but a million other places, too). 

and im pretty sure Sam Gold will ruin it, as he has everything else he has touched in the last few years.

JSquared2
#6SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 2:09pm

Sounds like a GREAT fit (as long as we get the Dolls House Part II and Fun Home Sam Gold -- and NOT the MacBeth and King Lear Sam Gold!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 4:24pm

Feel like we just keep getting new adaptions of the same ol plays…

verywellthensigh
#8SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 6:16pm

Agreed.  There's so much more to Ibsen than Hedda, A Doll's House, and Enemy.

Broadway hasn't seen a revival of Ghosts since 1982, The Master Builder since 1992, Lady from the Sea since 1976, Peer Gint since 1960, and The Wild Duck since 1967.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 7:16pm

Also of note the writer/director are married! Not that it matters, but I had no clue!

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#10SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/12/23 at 9:48pm

verywellthensigh said: "Agreed. There's so much more to Ibsen than Hedda, A Doll's House, and Enemy.

Broadway hasn't seen a revival of Ghosts since 1982, The Master Builder since 1992, Lady from the Sea since 1976, Peer Gint since 1960, and The Wild Duck since 1967.
"

I would love to see Sam Gold direct Strong in Peer Gynt, or even Brand.

BoringBoredBoard40
#11SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/13/23 at 2:45am

it's annoying that Amy Herzog can't get an original play produced on Broadway, I mean "4000 Miles" was a Pulitzer finalist for crying out loud 

Updated On: 5/13/23 at 02:45 AM

Jarethan
#12SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/13/23 at 2:42pm

It will be interesting to see how this does.  While ADH is doing much better than it would because of Jessica C., it still is not doing great…I’d be surprised if it returns its investment.  I am in the group that considers the current production and its leading lady to be magnificent, so that assumption saddens me quite a bit.

Hopefully, it will be one of Gold’s superior productions and JA will prove to sell tickets, even if I doubt it.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#13SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/13/23 at 5:05pm

Feels like a flop to me but I’m excited to see it.

BETTY22
#14SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 10:00am

Just watched him on CBS SUNDAY MORNING.

I find him fascinating. 

JasonC3
#15SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 11:10am

BETTY22 said: "Just watched him on CBS SUNDAY MORNING.

I find him fascinating.
"

Agree:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/succession-star-jeremy-strong/

Falsettolands
#16SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 6:16pm

is this the first time Herzog and Gold have collaborated? I remember reading an interview a few years ago about how they decidedly chose not to do so, but that was around Fun Home era.

JSquared2
#17SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 6:45pm

Falsettolands said: "is this the first time Herzog and Gold have collaborated? I remember reading an interview a few years ago about how they decidedly chose not to do so, but that was around Fun Home era."

They have a few kids together - so I'm guessing it's not their first collaboration.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 6:55pm

Kromer is proving to be a box office draw, so who knows? I wouldn't say either of them are "big names" but maybe good word of mouth and some good reviews it could be a modest hit?

Falsettolands
#19SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 6:58pm

you're suggesting their having kids changed their minds about working together artistically? not sure I follow.

Updated On: 5/14/23 at 06:58 PM

JasonC3
#20SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 8:09pm

I took it to mean that they had to physically "collaborate" to have kids together.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 9:42pm

RippedMan said: "Kromer is proving to be a box office draw, so who knows? I wouldn't say either of them are "big names" but maybe good word of mouth and some good reviews it could be a modest hit?"

Who is Kromer?

JasonC3
#22SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 9:44pm

Probably Comer.

edit: Comer.

Sigh.  Fat thumbs.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 09:44 PM

willep
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#24SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 10:54pm

The suggestion that this particular director and playwright's name value could make ANY meaningful difference at the box office is beyond laughable. David Cromer may direct good shows but he is not, in any way, a box office draw.

If name meant anything then Tom Stoppard and Jeanine Tesori and Andrew Lloyd Webber and Bart Sher's shows would have sold out this season.

It's all about what they do with their talent (in terms of reviews & audience response) and how much their star can sell. The idea of the "star playwright" or "star director" is mostly dead –– we barely even have acting stars who sell mass numbers of tickets in the theatre nowadays.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25SUCCESSION Star Jeremy Strong Will Return to Broadway in AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
Posted: 5/14/23 at 11:29pm

Er, sorry. Typo. 

I meant Jodie Comer. And my point was that she’s not a big name by any means but yet her show is selling well. So who knows how this could go? Chastain is a giant name and her show is selling well but by no means some mega hit.