pixeltracker

Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?

Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#1Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 12:38pm

I have an upcoming trip to NYC in July and am thinking about getting tickets to the July 21st performance of Shucked. 

Does anyone know if the theater has posted any scheduled days off for Alex Newell that weekend? 

I'd love to see to the see the show with Alex, but I know performers sometimes have scheduled breaks. 

I'll check the Shucked Website, but thought someone here might have some info. 

Thanks in advance. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 1:13pm

Just spring and buy the ticket - the show is good enough where it does not need to subsist on Alex Newell alone.

My friends who have seen it recently noted that Alex was out more than they were in (which, if I recall, also happened during Once on this Island).

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#3Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 1:16pm

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. The show sounds very fun and if Alex is there great, if not, I'm sure it will be fine. 

Now I just have to find a seat at the Nederlander with leg room. lol. 

quizking101
#4Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 1:24pm

Show2n said: "Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. The show sounds very fun and if Alex is there great, if not, I'm sure it will be fine.

Now I just have to find a seat at the Nederlander with leg room. lol.
"

Rear orchestra - left side, purchase one of the accessible or companion. They are freestanding chairs and are super great for the tall among us (I'm 6'8). 

I've never once had a problem in purchasing one and, if I've ever needed to switch because of the poor leg room, they were always happy to move me to those seats.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#5Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 1:55pm

Cool. Thanks. Who do you use to get your tix? I usually use todayTix or Ticketmaster. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 1:58pm

Always buy tix from the official seller. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#7Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 2:20pm

Gotcha. I live outside of NYC so should I call the Box Office Directly or can I use the official ticket company on the show website? 

MemorableUserName
#8Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 2:31pm

Always best to use the link on the show's website to find the official seller. In this case, it is Ticketmaster.

There are a few discount codes out there if you want to try them on Ticketmaster and see which gives a better price:

https://playbill.com/discount/playbill-discount-for-shucked

https://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/shucked/

yyys
#9Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 2:52pm

if you're staying in NYC for several days, try to win the digital rush.  I've won twice and my friend won (on first try). 

quizking101
#10Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 3:03pm

yyys said: "if you're staying in NYC for several days, try to win the digital rush. I've won twice and my friend won (on first try).

"

If they are committed to seeing Shucked, this may not be the best idea because we don’t know what demand will look like after the Tonys (where it could reasonably pick up AT LEAST two awards - Featured Actor and Book). At best, this may make the lottery much harder to win and, if they do, they may end up with seats that are remarkably uncomfortable (Been There, Done That, Got The Knee Bruises)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 11:35pm

After the Tonys attendance really can become a crapshoot. Adrenaline has worn off and the bloom is off the rose. People start taking vacations and sick leave when necessary. Many actors are worn out from months of campaigning and need time to recoup.

Seeing the full OBC all on at one performance after the Tonys can become a bit harder. 

Last year A Strange Loop’s cast basically imploded after the Tonys. Hard to see the full OBC after the Best Musical win. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#12Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/29/23 at 11:47pm

Bettyboy72 said: "After the Tonys attendance really can become a crapshoot. Adrenaline has worn off and the bloom is off the rose. People start taking vacations and sick leave when necessary. Many actors are worn out from months of campaigning and need time to recoup.

Seeing the full OBC all on at one performance after the Tonys can become a bit harder.

Last year A Strange Loop’s cast basically imploded after the Tonys. Hard to see the full OBC after the Best Musical win.
"

I go in July almost every year for a spree of shows and I have not found that to be the case though your reasoning makes sense. I wonder if post-Tonys June and early July is more common for that. I'm usually there in mid to late July and I feel like I have had very good luck for years seeing almost all or all of the OBC for new shows.

MollyJeanneMusic
#13Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/30/23 at 9:05am

I actually saw Shucked the other day with the whole OBC - and I could definitely see a bit of vocal fatigue in "Independently Owned."  (Still absolutely incredible and show-stealing, of course, but just something my parents and I noticed.)  No fault of Alex, but they've kinda become the mascot of the show with their performance and that song, and I could see the strain of Tony campaigning, performing, interviewing, being flown out to do the Voice, etc. necessitating a break after Tony season is done.  Luckily, their understudies are also fantastic - a friend of mine saw Rheaume Crenshaw as Lulu and loved her - so you'll be in good hands either way.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Mr.Liir
#14Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/30/23 at 9:58am

Alex has missed like, two shows, in the past month, and at least one was directly related to "The Voice." It is in everyone's best interest, especially Alex, for them to be in as much as possible since there are Tony voters at every performance.

It's one thing to be upset if you miss an actor in a role, but no need to push narratives like they're "out more than they're in." That is wholly false. 

Updated On: 5/30/23 at 09:58 AM

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#15Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/30/23 at 5:48pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I went ahead and booked my ticket to Shucked! Can’t wait to see it. Thnx again. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#16Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 5/30/23 at 8:55pm

I saw Alex, everyone I know who has seen the show saw Alex. And I saw a Wednesday matinee, which still seems to get a bum rap for call-outs. Never in my experience, other than Covid specific absences in 2021-2022. 

Newell’s vocals were stellar, and Newell is delightful but the show is an ensemble piece and everyone deserves credit. For what it’s worth, I think the score’s highlight is “Somebody Will,” a soulful ballad reminiscent of the great Carol Hall’s work. I wouldn’t fret over any one replacement.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

sparklingtonic2
#17Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 10/20/23 at 10:20am

Similar to the OP, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether Alex Newell has any planned absences in December.

I understand that the show will be fantastic either way, but we really love Alex Newell and are hoping to catch them.

Thanks in advance.

JSquared2
#18Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 10/20/23 at 11:43am

Alex was out this past Weds for both shows.  The understudy, while competent, unfortunately didn't even come close to projecting the humor and vocal power that Alex brings to the show.

sparklingtonic2
#19Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 10/23/23 at 8:22pm

JSquared2 said: "Alex was out this past Weds for both shows. The understudy, while competent, unfortunately didn't even come close to projecting the humor and vocal power that Alex brings to the show."

Thanks for the information. I've bought tickets to a Sunday matinee and will hope for the best. :)

Updated On: 10/23/23 at 08:22 PM

sparklingtonic2
#20Alex Newell Vacation/Schedule Performances Off in July for Shucked?
Posted: 12/17/23 at 5:56pm

sparklingtonic2 said: "…Thanks for the information. I've bought tickets to a Sunday matinee and will hope for the best. :)"

To follow up, I’ve just come from today’s matinee, where Miki Abraham was in for Alex. Although we were disappointed when we first saw the cast list, Miki was phenomenal!