pixeltracker

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews- Page 4

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews

Dom P
#75BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 5:30pm

Islander_fan said: "I wonder if, due to these reviews, it was a smart move for them to have announced the US tour the same time they announced the show coming to Broadway May have been a sign of them counting their chickens. I remember that they had a couple of tour stops already announced too."

I really can't see these reviews having a immediate damaging effect on this show. Back to the Future is a easily recognizable title.  And most likely the Broadway company has a healthy sizable advance. Most likely touring subscription audiences are easily anticipating this coming to thier city. 

MemorableUserName
#76BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 5:32pm

Slant:

Back to the Future: The Musical Review: More Like Back to the Drawing Board

https://www.slantmagazine.com/theater/back-to-the-future-the-musical-broadway-review/

"Few shows have mastered the varied arts of cinematic recreation quite like this one. Finn Ross’s video design brings the film’s iconic scenes of warp-speed time travel to thrilling life, while lit for maximal dizzying impact by Tim Lutkin and Hugh Vanstone. The reenactment of the moment when scientist Doc Brown (Roger Bart) clambers atop a clock tower during a lightning storm while Marty McFly (Casey Likes) revs the DeLorean in the distance is a perfect marriage of design elements, with video, lighting, and Tim Hatley’s rapidly transforming set integrating into a convincing whole that’s difficult to isolate into its parts.

But only the most adoring fans of the Back to the Future series will find similar wonder in the hours that lead up to this theatrical climax. As rendered by three luminaries with minimal previous theater experience—the book is by the film’s co-screenwriter Bob Gale and the music and lyrics are by the film’s composer Alan Silvestri and pop-rock songwriter Glen Ballard—the script and score reveal almost immediately that successful musical theater writing is far more complex than doing a screenplay on stage and dotting it periodically with songs."

MemorableUserName
#77BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 5:32pm

NYP:

‘Back to the Future: The Musical’ Broadway review: Watch the movie instead

Two stars

https://nypost.com/2023/08/03/back-to-the-future-the-musical-review-watch-the-movie-instead/

MemorableUserName
#78BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 5:33pm

IndieWire:

‘Back to the Future: The Musical’ Will Delight Movie Fans — but Few Others

A new Broadway production based on the classic film has a fun DeLorean, but little else.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#79BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 5:53pm

Sammy232 said: "I remember thinking Jesse Green was a good reviewer when he was at Vulture, even if I didn't always agree with him. Since he's moved over to the Times though, his reviews are awful. I never thought there would be a day that I would miss Brantley."

Hmm. I actually thought this was an exceptionally well-written and balanced review. And this sentence was a bullseye:

"Why, other than the opportunity to rake in a gazillion more dollars, make a musical out of a movie that clearly does not want you to?"

Reminds me of how Sondheim used to say of  "Do I Hear A Waltz?" it was a "why?" musical.

RUkiddingme
#80BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 6:03pm

MemorableUserName said: "RaisedOnMusicals said: "Whoever does the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs down or Thumbs horizontal" icons next to the various reviews apparently no idea how to distinguish a bad review from a mixed review.. I read so many of the posted reviews ID'd with the thumbs down icon and when I finished, thought, "that wasn't such a bad review at all." Case in point is Green's review in the NYT. He even refers to the score (clearly not a strong point of the show) as "tuneful and in a few cases rousing".

The primary distinction between a bad review and a mixed review is that while the bottom line message of a bad review is "Don't waste your time or your money", the message in a mixed review is "In spite of its shortcomings, this show might well be (as Green actually says), worth a ticket."
"

To be fair, it's very subjective. I also read that review as mixed and called it so on page one of the thread. On page two someone responded, "Was that a mixed review? Read bad to me.", a comment that currently has two likes. People see different things in reviews, as with shows.
"

Call me old fashioned but when the NY TIMES headline of a review says a show “crash lands” that’s not a positive start.  When the next line describes the show with the phrase “why?” that’s not a positive description!

“Alas, that also describes the rest of the show, directed by John Rando with Doc-like frenzy: mechanical, busy, distracting, foggy.”

That’s not positive people.  Those aren’t mixed words.  Those are negative comments.

“most of the new songs … are too generic.”  That’s not good!

And while I’m sure some marketing genius is looking for positive words and phrases to put in a misleading ad, that fact remains that when a musical is considered generic, mechanical, busy, distracting and foggy and the reviewer can’t figure out why it even exists – that’s a bad review.

Dom P
#81BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 6:16pm

MemorableUserName said: "NYP:

Two stars

https://nypost.com/2023/08/03/back-to-the-future-the-musical-review-watch-the-movie-instead/
"

When was the last time Johnny O gave any thing a positive review?

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#82BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 6:22pm

Dom P said: "MemorableUserName said: "NYP:

Two stars

"

"

Shucked.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#83BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 6:26pm

pethian said: "Dom P said: "MemorableUserName said: "NYP:

Two stars

"

"

Shucked.

"

Here Lies Love, actually.

Dom P
#84BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 6:40pm

TaffyDavenport said: "pethian said: "Dom P said: "MemorableUserName said: "NYP:

Two stars

"

"

Shucked.

"

Here Lies Love, actually.
"

Fair enough.  Thank you for your replies. 

JSquared2
#85BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/4/23 at 6:55pm

RUkiddingme said: "MemorableUserName said: "RaisedOnMusicals said: "Whoever does the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs down or Thumbs horizontal" icons next to the various reviews apparently no idea how to distinguish a bad review from a mixed review.. I read so many of the posted reviews ID'd with the thumbs down icon and when I finished, thought, "that wasn't such a bad review at all." Case in point is Green's review in the NYT. He even refers to the score (clearly not a strong point of the show) as "tuneful and in a few cases rousing".

The primary distinction between a bad review and a mixed review is that while the bottom line message of a bad review is "Don't waste your time or your money", the message in a mixed review is "In spite of its shortcomings, this show might well be (as Green actually says), worth a ticket."
"

To be fair, it's very subjective. I also read that review as mixed and called it so on page one of the thread. On page two someone responded, "Was that a mixed review? Read bad to me.", a comment that currently has two likes. People see different things in reviews, as with shows.
"

Call me old fashioned but when the NY TIMES headline of a review says a show “crash lands” that’s not a positive start. When the next line describes the show with the phrase “why?” that’s not a positive description!

“Alas, that also describes the rest of the show, directed by John Rando with Doc-like frenzy: mechanical, busy, distracting, foggy.”

That’s not positive people. Those aren’t mixed words. Those are negative comments.

“most of the new songs … are too generic.” That’s not good!

And while I’m sure some marketing genius is looking for positive words and phrases to put in a misleading ad, that fact remains that when a musical is considered generic, mechanical, busy, distracting and foggy and the reviewer can’t figure out why it even exists – that’s a bad review.
"

To paraphrase Osgood’s line from SOME LIKE IT HOT, “People see what they want to see.”

When you read a review and already hate the show, you have your mind made up. I loved BTTF and join the many others who see NYT review as “mixed”.  YMMV

BETTY22
#86BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:18am

OUCH! That New York Times review and headline is awful - but accurate.

The show is lucky it has a million-dollar title and massive movie fan base - because that's all it's got.

The lack of craft is shocking. I've seen better shows at theme parks. 

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#87BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/5/23 at 12:25pm

BETTY22 said: "OUCH! That New York Times review and headline is awful - but accurate.

The show is lucky it has a million-dollar title and massive movie fan base - because that's all it's got.

The lack of craft is shocking. I've seen better shows at theme parks.
"

So I guess you've seen it? Where, here or in London (not that it matters).

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

BETTY22
#88BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/5/23 at 3:55pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "So I guess you've seen it? Where, here or in London (not that it matters)."

I saw it on Broadway just before it opened. Was a hot night with Michael J and Spielberg in the audience. 

"

Huckster2
#89BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/5/23 at 10:01pm

in the NY times review is says:

"suggests that a white boy introduced “Johnny B. Goode” three years before a Black man actually wrote it. suggests that a white boy introduced “Johnny B. Goode” three years before a Black man actually wrote it."

Fact. the part about calling Chuck Berry was not in the musical. so no it did not suggest anything. Also, even with the movie, who have ever thought that was what Bob Gale was saying here? Never heard that comment in the last 38 years since the movie came out. With that theory, I guess Forrest Gump really did invent or create also most everything as the running scene implies.

Another fun part of a review by Erin Strecker, IndieWire

"When a teenage version of Marty’s mom Lorraine finds Marty in her bed, she sings an original song, “Pretty Baby,” a doo-wop ‘50s number with lyrics like, “Did you come to save me/ My pretty baby/ Oh how you drive me crazy.” It’s played for silly laughs, but an already uncomfortable scene in a film takes on an even odder feel when it’s playing out right in front of you" 

Wow if two non-related Actors in a time traveling (which isn't real Erin) show makes you feel that uncomfortable with some on screen flirting that it worth writing as a negative, I would love to see their options on some other shows throughout the years. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#90BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:47pm

Huckster2 said: "Another fun part of a review by Erin Strecker, IndieWire

"When a teenage version of Marty’s mom Lorraine finds Marty in her bed, she sings an original song, “Pretty Baby,” a doo-wop ‘50s number with lyrics like, “Did you come to save me/ My pretty baby/ Oh how you drive me crazy.” It’s played for silly laughs, but an already uncomfortable scene in a film takes on an even odder feel when it’s playing out right in front of you"

Wow if two non-related Actorsin a time traveling (which isn't real Erin) show makes you feel that uncomfortable with some on screen flirting that it worth writing as a negative, I would love to see their options on some other shows throughout the years.
"

In fairness, Erin was by no means alone in expressing discomfort with that scene. Others went further and described it as creepy. Especially when Marty suggests he's aroused.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#91BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/5/23 at 11:58pm

pethian said: "Huckster2 said: "Another fun part of a review by Erin Strecker, IndieWire

Wow if two non-related Actorsin a time traveling (which isn't real Erin) show makes you feel that uncomfortable with some on screen flirting that it worth writing as a negative, I would love to see their options on some other shows throughout the years.
"

In fairness, Erin was by no means alone in expressing discomfort with that scene. Others went further and described it as creepy. Especially when Marty suggests he's aroused.

"

This made it super cringy for me and at the time I had wondered if I thought much bout it in the film. I think, like the review mentions it, it’s the singing of a song about it that puts it over the top. All I remember from the film was her thinking his name Calvin. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#92BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 1:26am

Creepy??

Y'all heard of Oedipus?

MemorableUserName
#93BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 2:11am

BJR said: "Creepy??

Y'all heard of Oedipus?
"

Sure. Are you saying the story of Oedipus isn't, at the very least, creepy? There's a reason Oedipus's mother kills herself when she learns the truth and he gouges his eyes out.

BETTY22
#94BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 10:36am

CBS Sunday Morning just did a Michael J Fox profile and didn't mention the musical.

It felt like they went out of their way to ignore it.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#95BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 11:13am

BETTY22 said: "CBS Sunday Morning just did a Michael J Fox profile and didn't mention the musical.

It felt like they went out of their way to ignore it.
"

This segment was filmed in the spring.  Also his documentary had come out. There was really no reason to mention the musical. This was more about him personally. I didn'r feel they went out of their way to "ignore" it. It hadn't even started previews yet and again, this was more about his life.

Just give the world Love.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#96BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 11:17am

Huckster2 said: "Never heard that comment in the last 38 years since the movie came out."

For what it's worth, I've participated in two or three conversations over the years about the optics of that scene in the movie. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#97BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 11:27am

MemorableUserName said: "BJR said: "Creepy??

Y'all heard of Oedipus?
"

Sure. Are you saying the story of Oedipus isn't, at the very least, creepy? There's a reason Oedipus's mother kills herself when she learns the truth and he gouges his eyes out.

"

I'm just saying the tone of that criticism has a pearl clutching quality, that they should've avoided it in the story, when the subject has been mined for thousands of years.

Huckster2
#98BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/6/23 at 11:48am

BJR said: "Creepy??

Y'all heard of Oedipus?
"

Right. Well, i am guessing almost all of Avenue Q  would be cringe in today's world.

phantom1978
#99BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/7/23 at 4:54pm

My nephew, brother, and I absolutely loved the show from start to finish. You gotta go see it. Forget the critics!