pixeltracker

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews- Page 5

BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#100BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/8/23 at 5:33pm

The company will perform from the show on Good Morning America in the 8:00 hour. 

Per Casey Likes, they’ll also have another TV performance this week. 

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#101BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/8/23 at 6:38pm

They'll be performing *tomorrow*, my bad for not including that.

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#102BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/8/23 at 6:42pm

Hoping to rush the matinee tomorrow. Just saw that JJ will be on as Marty for the afternoon! Anyone see his performance yet? Really excited to see the show again! Definitely wanna compare the different casts. Especially Roger and Hugh!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Ptero2
#103BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/8/23 at 10:31pm

The songs were almost all completely forgettable but it was fun to see all the crazy effects/sets and I thought the cast (particularly Casey Likes) did a good job. I got a lottery seat in row U all the way to the right, which was surprisingly not a bad view at all. Wouldn't see it again but not mad that I saw it once.

Dylan Smith4
#104BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/9/23 at 11:14pm

Ok, here are my thoughts from today.

Got a rush ticket for $40. Not a bad seat, but I couldn’t see much on the back screen at times as it was on the far end. I’ll probably see the show again, but I’m most likely gonna buy a center seat next time. 

Onto the show itself. WOW! Just as a great as it was in London! That being said, there were a couple disappointments. First off is Jelani’s Goldie Wilson. I just don’t think the key his songs are in are the right ones. I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was struggling. He still nailed “Gotta Start Somewhere”, even got a standing o from a couple audience members. Also, I surprisingly was a bit disappointed with Roger as Doc Brown. Don’t get me wrong, he did a great job! However, I had a hard time finding the right style he was trying to go with his character. Makes me prefer Corey English’s Doc from London more. JJ was on as Marty this afternoon and MY GOD he killed it today! That man has talent! My friend from Brazil was with me today and she was so excited to see him! Even more when I told her that he was on as the leading man today! He definitely has a bright future ahead of him! Lastly, HUGH FREAKING COLES!!!!!! Oh my god! I don’t think I have laughed so hard at a show since seeing Christopher Fitzgerald in Waitress!!! Wow what a performance! He really brings Crispin Glover’s George to life on stage! When he said “I am your density” I just dropped my head into my hands laughing!!! I don’t know but him and Oliver Nicholas (from London) played the character in the exact same way! Almost identical! Finally, who can talk about the show without talking about the Delorian! Boy oh boy that truly is the star of the show! 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Overall, the Broadway production is fun and hilarious! If you’re just looking for something to have fun in and hand a really good laugh, go see BTTF! All with it! 

UPDATE: I just realized that this is the first show I’ve seen on Both Sides of the Atlantic in the same year! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince
Updated On: 8/10/23 at 11:14 PM

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#105BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/10/23 at 11:12am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Makes me prefer Corey English’s Doc from London more."

I haven't had a chance to see Cory's Doc.  How would you describe his take on the character?  From the curtain calls I've watched on YT, he certainly seems more animated and I'm guessing that he goes harder in the dancing during the show.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#106BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/10/23 at 12:22pm

This cast album is now in rotation in my biking around Brooklyn playlist and I have a crush on Biff. This was definitely an unexpected turn of events this summer for me. My PMs are open, Biff!

Dylan Smith4
#107BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/10/23 at 12:47pm

LuckyDipster said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Makes me prefer Corey English’s Doc from London more."

I haven't had a chance to see Cory's Doc. How would you describe his take on the character? From the curtain calls I've watched on YT, he certainly seems more animated and I'm guessing that he goes harder in the dancing during the show."

I can't say for sure, but Corey seems to bring a more energetic take to Doc Brown as Roger is more soft-centered. Don't get me wrong, I loved them both, but Corey to me seemed to be a better fit for this role than Roger! Hopefully Americans can see him portray Doc. I would love to see him do the National Tour next year!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#108BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:08pm

Casey Likes and the company performing "The Power of Love / Back in Time":

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Video-Watch-BACK-TO-THE-FUTURE-Cast-Perform-The-Power-of-Love-and-Back-In-Time-on-GMA-20230809

Likes, Jelani Remy, and the company performing "It's Only a Matter of Time":

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Video-Watch-BACK-TO-THE-FUTURE-Cast-Perform-Its-Only-a-Matter-of-Time-on-GMA3-20230810

Oh look, a bibu!

LuckyDipster
#109BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/10/23 at 5:50pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I loved them both, but Corey to me seemed to be a better fit for this role than Roger! Hopefully Americans can see him portray Doc. I would love to see him do the National Tour next year!"

Once I'm done with my holiday to NY to see Roger's Doc again, I'd love to take another trip down to London and see Cory do his thing. Putting Cory on the tour sounds like a good idea too.  They'll probably want someone who can slot right in just like Roger did on Broadway.

RumTumJM
#110BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/14/23 at 2:14am

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/back-to-the-future-musical-cuts-problematic-elements-1234802413/amp/

While I understand people’s appropriation concerns, it’s still a shame that they took out the “Hey Chuck! It’s your cousin Marvin!” line! Isn’t that one of the most beloved & quoted lines from the movie?

Is it omitted in the London version as well? (I wonder if Bob Gale & Co. chose to omit it because of the appropriation concerns or for some other…perhaps practical…reason.)

LuckyDipster
#111BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/14/23 at 11:15am

RumTumJM said: "Is it omitted in the London version as well?"

Yes.  Marvin stays with his band for the whole number.

Hairspray0901
#112BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/14/23 at 11:48am

I’m seeing the matinee tomorrow. Have the leads been missing Wednesday matinees?

Dylan Smith4
#113BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 8/14/23 at 11:52am

Hairspray0901 said: "I’m seeing the matinee tomorrow. Have the leads been missing Wednesday matinees?"

Casey was off last Wednesday afternoon. I think that was because they did GMA and GMA3 performances in the same day. You never know who’ll be on or off until the day of. Should be fine. Even if Casey is off, JJ is an incredible Marty!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#114BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 9/27/23 at 5:52pm

The company will perform from the show on The View tomorrow morning. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/27/23 at 05:52 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#115BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 9/28/23 at 1:47pm

Roger Bart leading the cast in "It Works" on The View:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxvkg-5OVGt/

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#116BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 9/28/23 at 11:31pm

Saw the show recently and this might be among the worst things I've seen on a Broadway stage.

Which is funny, because there are individual elements of it that are good. A few of the songs, some performances, the book is competently structured and there's no major holes. But added all up, it just doesn't work. It puts the movie on stage in the most literal way possible, and in the process it's become mind-numbingly boring. It's a theme park show with a bigger budget.

The tone of the movie is kind of a miracle. Here, the weird things are weirder, the funny things are less funny. A reminder of how good the movie is.

The projections also look like a 90s videogame, and the design has to rely so heavily on them in its recreation of the movie.

I wish they took any kind of artistic swings in trying to bring this to the stage, which even with the same written material might have elevated things......use some "poor theatre" techniques, take Doc in a different direction, TRY to find some layers for George McFly (a horrendous performance in my eyes but maybe this is a Cilantro thing??) and Biff, really focus on 50s and 80s pastiche sounds in the orchestrations & design methods.

I'm glad BTTF is employing these artists and some people seem to be enjoying themselves, but woof.

Updated On: 9/28/23 at 11:31 PM

meaghan416
#117BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 9/30/23 at 7:33am

If I am going to sit partial, should I do house left or right? Thanks for the input. 

LuckyDipster
#118BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 10/1/23 at 2:06pm

meaghan416 said: "If I am going to sit partial, should I do house left or right?"

Thinking back to March when I saw it last, I'd say that they don't use the sides much, but Doc does have some fun moments on the left hand side.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#119BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 10/1/23 at 2:19pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Saw the show recently and this might be among the worst things I've seen on a Broadway stage.

I'm glad BTTF is employing these artists and some people seem to be enjoying themselves, but woof.
"

While I don't agree it's the WORST thing I've seen on Bway, not even in my bottom 10. But yes, kind of boring and missing that oomph to pull it all together.  I was not impressed with the final SFX, in fact, found myself thinking....really? this is what everyone is so ga-ga over?   

Different strokes!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PanaroFan111
#120BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 10/8/23 at 10:52am

Hairspray0901 said: "I’m seeing the matinee tomorrow. Have the leads been missing Wednesday matinees?"

I went 2 weeks ago on a Wed matinee and the entire cast was in :)

coreman009
#121BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:43am

Has anyone sat in the upstairs partial view? How much do you miss?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#122BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 9:11am

I've sat in the partial view seats in Row E and F on the right hand side and you miss the furthest upstage corner of the stage but not much happens up there. The most you miss at best is some of the scenery and the ensemble. 

Here's a picture of what my view was like: 

No photo description available.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#123BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 11/30/23 at 5:24pm

Amber Ardolino just posted that her final day with the show will be December 30th

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12
Updated On: 11/30/23 at 05:24 PM

swright1031
#124BACK TO THE FUTURE Reviews
Posted: 12/27/23 at 3:23pm

Does anybody remember the dates when JJ Niemann is going on for Marty in January? I know he posted about it but I can’t find it anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Videos