pixeltracker

What's your favorite recording of Merrily? Radcliffe? Heller? Esparza? Miranda? Original?

What's your favorite recording of Merrily? Radcliffe? Heller? Esparza? Miranda? Original?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1What's your favorite recording of Merrily? Radcliffe? Heller? Esparza? Miranda? Original?
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:17pm

I have been listening to the latest version of Merrily and even though it's passable, no other recording is as good as the 1994 version to me. I can't find any information on where it played or who played the main characters if anyone knows and wants to let me know, please do. 

I got to see the Encores production with Lin Manuel and it was glorious, yet, the recording didn't have the best sound I felt.

So, 1994's version is my favorite, the Encores recording is #2 and the current #3. And those are the only recordings I have listened to, in case more exist. 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 11/26/23 at 12:17 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Recordings of Raul Esparza/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:19pm

There's the original! Which is pretty good. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3Recordings of Raul Esparza/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:25pm

I’m quite sure Raul Esparza played Charlie in 2002 at the Kennedy Center and there is no recording. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#4Recordings of Raul Esparza/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:28pm

The Raul Esparza Merrily was in 2002 at the Kenney Center, with Michael Hayden and Miriam Shor in the other 2 lead roles. Emily Skinner also played Gussie.

Here's the full info: https://www.abouttheartists.com/productions/22046-merrily-we-roll-along-at-the-eisenhower-theater-at-the-john-f-kennedy-center-for-the-performing-arts-2002

The 1994 cast recording, if that's what you're thinking of, is from the York production, starring Adam Heller as Charlie

https://www.abouttheartists.com/productions/30027-merrily-we-roll-along-at-the-theater-at-st-peters-may-26-july-17-1994

Updated On: 11/18/23 at 12:28 PM

MemorableUserName
#5Recordings of Raul Esparza/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:31pm

The 1994 cast recording features Malcolm Gets and a wonderful Michele Pawk (with Adam Heller as Charley and Amy Ryder as Mary).

MemorableUserName
#6Recordings of Raul Esparza/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:35pm

binau said: "I’m quite sure Raul Esparza played Charlie in 2002 at the Kennedy Center and there is no recording."

Correct (except "Charley"), opposite Michael Hayden and Miriam Shor. No official recording, but videos are easy to find.

muscle23ftl
#7Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/18/23 at 12:44pm

OMG, you guys are the best, I thought it was Raul Esparza, but I guess the Adam Heller recording is my favorite then. They have a similar voice and I got mixed up. 

This production from the York recording sound REALLY professional then. It's my favorite recording of the show for sure.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#8Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/18/23 at 1:04pm

You should at least give the original cast recording a try before saying that conclusively.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/18/23 at 4:14pm

The original Broadway Cast Recording will always be my favorite. Even with Lin, the Encores! is my second. (I love Lin's music but just not a fan of him onstage.) The recent revival recording comes in third for me. I have sampled the 1994 recording but have never listened to it all the way through.  JMO

Just give the world Love.

JasonC3
#10Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/18/23 at 5:28pm

muscle23ftl said: "I have been listening to the latest version of Merrily and even though it's passable, no other recording is as good as the 1994 version to me."

Passable?  Well, ok then.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/18/23 at 6:15pm

I’ve been enjoying the new recording but I think I still prefer “Rich and Happy” over “That Frank” so I still go back to the original cast album from time to time to hear that. The Overture is great on the 1994 recording but that’s about it for me.

schubox
#12Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/19/23 at 7:59pm

binau said: "I’m quite sure Raul Esparza played Charlie in 2002 at the Kennedy Center and there is no recording."

There is a bootleg out there that isn't great. And some youtube videos. Still the Franklin Shepard, Inc. I compare all others to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3RAF6jqOYc

chrishuyen
#13Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/19/23 at 10:12pm

I love the original Broadway recording as well!  The current revival and Encores are a bit tied for me as I like the orchestrations and some of the vocal stylings of Encores better, but I think the performances overall on the recent revival speak to me more.

There's also the "complete" recording from Jay Records with Maria Friedman, Evan Pappas, and Michael Cantwell in the leads.  I've listened to it before but I don't remember what they include to make it more complete than the others.

muscle23ftl
#14Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/21/23 at 10:23am

Thanks Chris Huyen for the information. I may check out the recording with Maria. 

I have been listening to the original, the new revival. 1994 is still the best, but Encores! is the 2nd best, with Elizabeth Stanley and Betsy Wolfe. Who are perfect in every possible way. But Michelle Pawk is perfection too. The 2023 casting is just a disaster for the characters of Gussie and Beth.

muscle23ftl
#15Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/23/23 at 11:58pm

Emily Skinner -I love her but she was terrible as Gussie Carnegie. Totally miscast as Gussie, just like the actress playing the role now on Broadway.

muscle23ftl
#16Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/25/23 at 11:23pm

OK, I changed my mind, I was listening to Celia Keenan Bolger and her Mary is the absolute best, when I saw the show live, I thought she was weak as Mary, then I realized she is an absolute skilled actress who really digs very deep in her characters and that's why she played the role, the way she did. 

Anyway, the recording with Colin Donnell, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Adam Grupper, Elizabeth Stanley and Betsy Wolfe, and featuring a 23-piece orchestra conducted by Rob Berman is my new #1 favorite recording of Merrily. The 1994 is a close second though. The original sounds too vintage for me, but I love that Jason Alexander was in it.

Updated On: 11/26/23 at 11:23 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#17Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/27/23 at 12:37pm

muscle23ftl said: "Emily Skinner -I love her but she was terrible as Gussie Carnegie. Totally miscast as Gussie, just like the actress playing the role now on Broadway."

I thought Skinner was wonderful. She got some big laughs.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#18Recordings of Raul Esparza/Adam Heller/Lin Manuel Miranda in Merrily
Posted: 11/27/23 at 12:40pm

muscle23ftl said: "OK, I changed my mind, I was listening to Celia Keenan Bolger and her Mary is the absolute best, when I saw the show live, I thought she was weak as Mary, then I realized she is an absolute skilled actress who really digs very deep in her characters and that's why she played the role, the way she did.

Anyway, the recording with Colin Donnell, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Adam Grupper, Elizabeth Stanley and Betsy Wolfe, and featuring a23-piece orchestraconducted by Rob Berman is my new #1 favorite recording of Merrily. The 1994 is a close second though. The original sounds too vintage for me, but I love that Jason Alexander was in it.
"

I thought Celia Keenan-Bolger was pretty wonderful too but I remember reading somewhere that she didn't like her performance in the role. She felt she was not great in the role and perhaps went as far as feeling that she was miscast. 

Videos