News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread- Page 2

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#25Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/24 at 7:47am

The entire Donmar Cast will be transferring! I could not be more excited! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2PMG2nI4OO/?igsh=MWJxaXBxYzJ4aDdzNg==

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince
Updated On: 1/18/24 at 07:47 AM

Dylan Smith4
#26Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:36pm

The first preview is Two Weeks from Tomorrow! Who's going? Can't wait to see the show later this summer!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

DBAK
#27Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 4:07pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "The first preview is Two Weeks from Tomorrow! Who's going? Can't wait to see the show later this summer!"

Next to Normal is my favorite non-Sondheim musical of all time. The Donmar production/cast was one of the most thrilling theatrical experiences of my life. I have tix to see the West End transfer 4 times in August to make it up to my teen self for only catching the 1NT once. Did anyone happen to catch Carolyn Matiland as Diana last year? I'm super curious about how she'd do the role. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#28Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 8:53pm

Seeing it 22 June Evening. It's West End Live that day, but hopefully that does not affect the evening performance. Next to Normal will be participating in West End Live, but the date and time have not yet been announced. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 10:41pm

Heading to London the beginning of July where I’ll see it a few times - very excited to see how they’ve evolved in the roles since the start of the Donmar run. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#30Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 12:30am

So jealous. But also, I heard it's coming over next season...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 2:42am

Unfortunately I have to miss the first preview, but I will be going in the first week. Very curious to see how it plays in a bigger theatre as the Donmar was incredibly intimate and special. I was walking past the theatre yesterday and I saw the poster on the wall, and I had to blink and think I cannot believe it has been 14+ years since the original production! I find the new art quite a nostalgic reference/throw back to the original. I wonder why they wanted to make it so explicit. 

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#32Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 8:52am

I saw it twice at the Donmar. I’m debating whether or not to make a quick trip over to London to see it again. I wish they would officially announce a Broadway transfer…

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#33Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:08pm

The new logo is awful. It reads more like a production of Hair or something from one of the old Beatle's films. Whats with all the musical instruments in it?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be selling that well, so there will be plenty of discounts available. Hopefully.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#34Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:10pm

The logo is horrific but damn I hope this comes to New York. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#35Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:22pm

It ain’t great, but count me in the minority who despises the artwork from the original production. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#36Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/4/24 at 11:36pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "It ain’t great, but count me in the minority who despises the artwork from the original production."

The original Broadway art is also quite terrible but I loved the giant portraits of the cast on the walls of The Booth.

The best art for the show was the run at Arena Stage. It was fantastic.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#37Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/5/24 at 12:02am

Agreed! I’m incredibly critical of Broadway marketing agencies (rarely do I think of a positive example nowadays), but Next to Normal is always one I look back to as a…wtf? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#38Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/5/24 at 2:07am

In a weird way I don't know if I've ever seen a 'next to normal' artwork that feels 100% right, it's either too abstract or literal. But I find it part of the charm of the show - you really have to see the show to 'get it' and it's highly theatrical. I'm not convinced that it would ever work as a movie, for example. I think I'd prefer them to film a staged version. It's a shame they didn't record the original production at the Booth with Alice. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#39Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:03pm

TotallyEffed said: "The logo is horrific but damn I hope this comes to New York."

Yea, heard not until the '25-26 season -spring '26

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jordan Catalano
#40Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:05pm

I haven’t heard 25-26 specifically but from what I hear as far as cast commitments go, that would line up with upcoming projects I’ve heard for two of them. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#41Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/6/24 at 2:45am

I hope they delay. Levy deserves a tony but there is 0 chance with Audra and Nicole. And Gypsy and Sunset will take the limelight. If they wait a bit I hope it could become the revival event of the season not lost in the others. 

Dylan Smith4
#42Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/6/24 at 8:24am

It's definitely a good idea to delay, as they lost to Sunset at the Oliviers this year. I think they would have had a better chance if they weren't up against Sunset. So, delaying to 2026 would be a good move, but do we think the hype for this production could last that long?

Aik1099
#43Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/9/24 at 11:12am

Any chance this extends to the first week of October? Potentially planning a London trip.

infinitefoxes
#44Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/24 at 4:57pm

Has anyone been to see this in previews yet? Interested to know how it works in the Wyndham's space compared to the Donmar. I saw the clips of the cast at West End Live today and they all sound fantastic. 

Or, better yet, does anyone have any further rumours they'd like to share about the hypothetical Broadway transfer?

Jordan Catalano
#45Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/24 at 5:03pm

Seeing it in a couple weeks. Or less now, I guess, this year is just flying by. 

I have no idea what future plans for this production are but I have heard talk of Levy being involved in another production aiming for Broadway early-ish next year. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/24 at 6:05pm

Caught the show again - wow. While it's the 'same' production it does feel on a different scale at the Wyndham with a high stage and performances that feel they have been amped up to play to a larger scale audience. Caissie Levy's Diana feels a lot more layered and I didn't realise that was possible until I saw it. If this were to transfer in the spring, I could easily imagine Levy potentially winning the Tony despite the very heavy competition in certain scenarios - e.g. Audra gossip Ala Bernadette Peters circa 2003 that her voice isn't right in Gypsy for the part, or people responding to "Sunset" like they did the recent west end "cabaret". The Diana, Gabe and Natalie are so good - they could be the best trio I've ever seen and the way their voices all sound together is just gorgeous, I don't know how Cassie Levy's voice can continue to sound so pristine. I don't think I have heard many people who can keep pitch the way she can in these kinds of songs. 

This show is so special. In the NYtimes OBC review I was reading today to reminise, Ben Brantley suggested that next normal may not be the next “Spring Awakening,”  - it really is funny how you need to put time into perspectives. It feels next to normal is standing the test of time more than spring awakening now. It's truly become legendary. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#47Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/24 at 7:55pm

Saw it evening of 22 June. Cast did West End Live then the matinee and still were on fire for the evening performance. 

This was beyond fabulous - just everyone was so so good - basically flawless. You can't just compliment one, because they were all terrific. The voices were so clear and laden with emotion. The staging was creative. The lighting was excellent. The sound mix was very good (apparently there were issues the first few previews). I don't know how they can bring that emotion performance after performance. Eleanor Worthington Cox looked like she had real tears before Let There Be Light.  I so would love to see this again. Nervous about seeing anything else as I don't want to dilute the impact. (but seeing Sky's Edge tomorrow anyways). 

Jordan Catalano
#48Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/24 at 8:04pm

ggersten, can’t wait to hear your thoughts on “Sky’s Edge”.

BoringBoredBoard40
#49Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/22/24 at 9:08pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Seeing it in a couple weeks. Or less now, I guess, this year is just flying by.

I have no idea what future plans for this production are but I have heard talk of Levy being involved in another production aiming for Broadway early-ish next year.
"

It would be the same production if it transfers, this has a dozen Broadway producers already attached

Videos