London in February

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#1London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 8:51am

Booked a trip and looking at the options, but not much is grabbing my interest. Any show suggestions, insight into what might be coming, or other advice? Thanks in advance!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 9:25am

Also going in February! I have tickets to Stranger Things and Guys and Dolls. And will probably add Standing at the Sky's Edge since it won the Oliver. I'm debating on seeing Cabaret or maybe even Frozen since it's a totally different production design wise. The Little Big Thing was also recommended. And Witness for the Prosecution seems interesting. 

Phillyguy
#3London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 10:32am

The King and I will be back in Feb for a limited engagement. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 10:59am

Besides Operation Mincemeat?

The Motive and the Cue.  Others liked it more than I did at the National.

My Neighbor Totoro - read lots of nice things

yyys
#5London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 12:40pm

bring/use earplugs for Standing at the Sky's Edge - it was too loud when I saw it at the National Theatre.

Everything's Talking About Jamie - starts Feb 8th

I also enjoyed A MIRROR when it was at the Almeida - it is transferring to Trafalgar Theatre starting January 22nd.

I did not really enjoy The Little Big Things but they have a Thursday matinee.

Updated On: 12/29/23 at 12:40 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 1:19pm

Might have to checkout A Mirror. Looks like The National will have 2 new plays running in February. 

Musicaldudepeter
#7London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 5:30pm

You will miss the Sondheim Old Friends, you idiot. I would see Nicole in Sunset. Not Rachel, though. 

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#8London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 5:45pm

From the audios i've heard jake and rebecca are great in cabaret! i suggest you see them.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 6:09pm

I thought Rebecca was fine as Sally. Not at all among my favorites from this production that I’ve seen, but she was serviceable.  

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 6:45pm

DramaTeach said: "Booked a trip and looking at the options, but not much is grabbing my interest. Any show suggestions, insight into what might be coming, or other advice? Thanks in advance!"

So many options!

Motive and Cue, Sky's Edge, King Lear, Dear Octopus, The Human Body, A Mirror, An Enemy of the People, Nachtland,  Hills of California 

List is endless...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 12/29/23 at 06:45 PM

two ladies tickets
#11London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 7:14pm

King Lear closed at the beginning of December. The Motive and the Cue is a great show. I would put that at the top of the list. 

two ladies tickets
#12London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 7:22pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "You will miss the Sondheim Old Friends, you idiot. I would see Nicole in Sunset. Not Rachel, though."

Sunset Boulevard is closing on January 6th. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 10:24pm

two ladies tickets said: "King Lear closed at the beginning of December. The Motive and the Cue is a great show. I would put that at the top of the list."

King Lear at the Almeida starts Feb 8 2024

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jmuep2
#14London in February
Posted: 12/29/23 at 10:52pm

I loved THE LITTLE BIG THINGS. Would highly recommend. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#15London in February
Posted: 1/1/24 at 6:10pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "You will miss the Sondheim Old Friends, you idiot. I would see Nicole in Sunset. Not Rachel, though."

Sunset closes this weekend, so that unfortunately will not be an issue. 

Guys and Dolls (stand if you’re able, it’s so fun), Hadestown (depending on when you go), Operation Mincemeat 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#16London in February
Posted: 1/1/24 at 6:35pm

Frozen was much better at The Drury Lane and sat in the stalls at a good price from the box office. Guys & Doll's  standing is fine if your under 30. When I sat in the second row I witnessed a good number of standees leaning their backs against some walls after awhile and some were prevented from sneaking into a few unoccupied seats. Have to admit todaystix.com got me into a number of shows with their online lottery..13 days 17 shows check out theatremonkey.com for insights to savings.

chrishuyen
#17London in February
Posted: 1/2/24 at 11:28am

I'll also be in London for a few days in February, and what I have planned to see is Operation Mincemeat (how hard is the lottery to win by the way?), Guys and Dolls, and Pacific Overtures.  I have a Wednesday evening slot where I might go to the Royal Ballet, as well as a Wednesday matinee where I'm leaning towards A Mirror.

Other things that looked interesting were Standing at Sky's Edge, Totoro (though I think tickets are pretty well sold already), Little Big Things, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, The Handmaid's Tale opera, and An Enemy of the People (mostly for comparison with the upcoming Broadway version).  If Macbeth at Donmar wasn't sold out, I'd probably consider that too (I think you can still get last minute standing or cancellation tickets if that interested you).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18London in February
Posted: 1/2/24 at 12:08pm

I have 2 spots left and I think I'm going to try for My Neighbor Torto and Standing at the Sky's Edge, but a few plays look interesting too. "The Unfriend" looks fun and "The Motive and the Cue" got decent notices. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#19London in February
Posted: 1/2/24 at 2:43pm

Theatreboard on The Unfriend. Unfriend comments

Theatreboard on The Motive and the Cue. Motive and Cue comments

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#20London in February
Posted: 2/25/24 at 9:20am

Hi All, back from my trip and wanted to say thanks for the recommendations. Ended up seeing Cabaret (still expensive but still a little cheaper than it’s going to be over here), Guys and Dolls, and The Motive and the Cue. Here’s my take on all three:

1) Cabaret - wasn’t a fan of my Sally Bowles or the ending (still prefer Alan Cumming’s version the best), but other than that, I enjoyed the interactive takes. They really created an intimate Kit Kat Club vibe in that space.

2) Guys and Dolls - super creative and lots of fun. Again, didn’t love my Adelaide. I’ve seen her in many other things and I know she’s talented, but she didn’t get any of Adelaide’s humor. I liked that she had her own take that was more provocative and human, but can’t we be funny and human at the same time? If there was a funny Adelaide, this would be a pitch-perfect production. Don’t know that it could be done over here, so I’m glad I got the chance to see it.

3) The Motive and the Cue - fast-moving scene changes, some brilliant performance, and a love of performance that’s conveyed through the text made this a truly engaging theatrical moment. Realizing that John Gielgud performed his Hamlet on that same stage was the icing on the cake.  

Thanks again for the input! 

Updated On: 2/25/24 at 09:20 AM

Videos