News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New Merrily Pro-Shot?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 8:58pm

Just saw this on Facebook. Don’t know if it’s true but has anyone heard anything about this?

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/nmsm8cQDRhr29Lqt/?mibextid=K35XfP

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:08pm

...they'd be filming the day after the Tonys? Rough for the cast, if so.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MemorableUserName
#3New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:11pm

Yes, it was discussed in the reviews thread. Someone said on Saturday that they received a notice that their seats were being moved due to the filming.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#4New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:23pm

The person who said their seats were moved is seeing the show on Friday the 21st, though.

MemorableUserName
#5New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:33pm

Granted. Also earlier today someone else posted the same source (Bryantheba) the Redditer did in this linked image.

BdwyFan
#6New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:34pm

Fantastic!!!

bear88
#7New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 9:43pm

I’m going to wait for something more official than this. As TaffyDavenport notes, the person who wrote that their seats were being moved due to filming had Friday, June 21. The person on Reddit has Monday, June 17 (as Kad notes, the day after the Tonys) and June 18 (first performance after the Tonys). I assume the signs are in front of the Hudson, but I am not making assumptions about what it’s for yet.

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#8New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:16pm

A girl can dream!

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#9New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:24pm

Don’t they usually film a couple of performances and take the best of each for the recording? Could be what accounts for the multiple dates.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#10New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:34pm

Often it's two with audiences and one without (for shots requiring the camera to be on-stage for close-ups/reaction shots or for odd setups.). You can see that best in Angelica Schuyler's disappearing/reappearing flower in Disney+'s Hamilton.

Seeing the restricted parking signs have Radical as the production company makes me think this is pretty legit. They seem to be the primo "go to" for high dollar shoots, so I can't imagine they were contracted for anything other than a true pro-shot (vs. archival footage or a pre-filmed Tony segment, etc,)

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 12:34 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:41pm

(Not sure if I posted this in the original Merrily thread)

I'm at the show on the 18th, I've not rec'd any notice of filming.  And while, yes, this very well could be a proshot, I'm curious it it might be more of a documentary - esp with the filiming starting right after the Tony Awards.  With all the press the main 3 + Maria have been doing, you'd think they'd give them a break before filming unless there was a very specific reason.  (Which could be: film now, and then they still have 3 weeks for re shoots) 

Time will tell!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:54pm

In New York for a brief trip and can see Merrily either Friday or Saturday evening the 21st or 22nd. Is either one more likely to have all 3 leads?

hearthemsing22
#13New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:55pm

PalJoey said: "In New York for a brief trip and can see Merrily either Friday or Saturday evening the 21st or 22nd. Is either one more likely to have all 3 leads?"

Yes.  but remember things can change between now and then at the last minute. But out of those options, I'd say go with Friday. 

dramamama611
#14New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/13/24 at 2:14pm

Neither Groff nor Radcliffe have missed a single performance (that wasn't announced far ahead of time), so your odds are already pretty darn good.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#15New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:10pm

dramamama611 said: "(Not sure if I posted this in the original Merrily thread)

I'm at the show on the 18th, I've not rec'd any notice of filming. And while, yes, this very well could be a proshot, I'm curious it it might be more of a documentary - esp with the filiming starting right after the Tony Awards. With all the press the main 3 + Maria have been doing, you'd think they'd give them a break before filming unless there was a very specific reason. (Which could be: film now, and then they still have 3 weeks for re shoots)

Time will tell!
"

I also have tix for tomorrow evening and haven't gotten any emails about filming. Given July 7th is the final performance, it would be great to do a proshot of the trio.

Given its wins yesterday, I think this production could have gone through the holidays with a different celebrity cast trio. Would have loved to see Andrew Rannells as Frank, Josh Gad as Kringas, and Nikki James as Mary! (yes i know it would not have been possible given Nikki is with SUFFS and Rannells was slated to be in Tammy Faye)

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 12:10 PM

hearthemsing22
#16New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:18pm

Wick3 said: "dramamama611 said: "(Not sure if I posted this in the original Merrily thread)

I'm at the show on the 18th, I've not rec'd any notice of filming. And while, yes, this very well could be a proshot, I'm curious it it might be more of a documentary - esp with the filiming starting right after the Tony Awards. With all the press the main 3 + Maria have been doing, you'd think they'd give them a break before filming unless there was a very specific reason. (Which could be: film now, and then they still have 3 weeks for re shoots)

Time will tell!
"

I also have tix for tomorrow evening and haven't gotten any emails about filming. Given July 7th is the final performance, it would be great to do a proshot of the trio.

Given its wins yesterday, I think this production could have gone through the holidays with a different celebrity cast trio. Would have loved to see Andrew Rannells as Frank, Josh Gad as Kringas, and Nikki James as Mary! (yes i know it would not have been possible given Nikki is with SUFFS and Rannells was slated to be in Tammy Faye)

"

No other cast would have the magic of this original trio. Also then which theater would it move to since Mattress is coming in next month??

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#17New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:39pm

I don't think you understood my reference and it was wishful thinking. Rannells/Gad/James were all in Book of Mormon back in 2011 and are actual 'ol friends in the industry. I'm sure there are other trios that can work... especially those who have been friends over a span of 10-15 years.

As much as I love Groff/Radcliffe/Mendez trio, they became good friends through the show itself the past 2 years, hence why the chemistry is so good now compared to seeing it during previews at NYTW in late 2022.

hearthemsing22
#18New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:50pm

Wick3 said: "I don't think you understood my reference and it was wishful thinking. Rannells/Gad/James were all in Book of Mormonback in 2011 and are actual 'olfriends in the industry. I'm sure there are other trios that can work... especially those who have been friends over a span of 10-15 years.

As much as I love Groff/Radcliffe/Mendez trio, they became good friends through the show itself the past 2 years, hence why the chemistry is so good now compared to seeing it during previews at NYTW in late 2022.
"

I understand. But you want to end it on a high note, with them, rather than hoping and praying whoever comes in would also have the same insane chemistry. Don't ruin the magic 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#19New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 3:56pm

Confirmed but still no details about the filming's future. Might be a long wait like Waitress’ pro-shot, or announced quickly like Come From Away's. 🤔Merrily To Be Filmed

Updated On: 6/18/24 at 03:56 PM

dramamama611
#20New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 3:59pm

It's silly they are saying "for posterity" be ause that's what the LC Archives are for (filmed back in March)

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#21New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:17pm

Radcliffe basically confirmed it in interview at the Tony’s, and Groff played it off as well. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:22pm

On the subject of MERRILY:

Do we know if James Lapine is a silent royalty-participant in MERRILY?

Because Jack Viertel has Tweeted what a lot of us have assumed for years: that Lapine had a substantial role in the revised book and shape of MERRILY, due to directing the productions at La Jolla (1985) and City Center (2012).

I can't really get behind his complaint, since Lapine's work happened long before the current production, and he either chose not to be credited on the revised version or Sondheim & Furth refused to credit him.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#23New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:28pm

I went to box office today and there’s a sign stating they are filming the performance this evening!!!!!!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#24New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:36pm

Wick3 said: "I went to box office today and there’s a sign stating they are filming the performance this evening!!!!!!"

YES! The crowd will be WILD tonight! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#25New Merrily Pro-Shot?
Posted: 6/18/24 at 6:22pm

I wish they’d be clearer about the purpose of the filming, but I understand the logic behind careful phrasing. Yes, they’re filming it for the purpose of creating a proshot; but as we learned with something like Waitress, just having the footage doesn’t mean there’s a distributor. They’ll need to shop it around to find a buyer, and that could happen quickly or they may hold off and submit it to a festival at a later date.

Regardless, I’m glad there’s confirmation it’s being captured. It’s a genuinely excellent production, and it deserves this kind of treatment.

Videos