pixeltracker

Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?

Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#0Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 8:14pm

Well, as I sit here at home on a Saturday night (hey! I'm just being safe about not getting sick and tired for an upcoming show) I came across an article about Joel Grey in Wicked. Here's a little piece of the Playbill.com article:

"Grey plays a role listed as "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" — every inch of it — and that's seconded by a show-stopping song and dance called, simply and accurately, "Wonderful" (Wonderful/They called me "Wonderful"/So I said "Wonderful - if you insist/I will be wonderful - "/And they said "Wonderful"/Believe me, it's hard to resist). It's not easy to make an understatement of that adjective, but Grey manages to do it."

Does anyone really feel that 'Wonderful' is a show-stopping number? I personally felt that the song wasn't all that great.

I wasn't saying to myself: "Wow, he's a real legend and I'll never forget that."

I just thinking: "Bring Kristin back on." I guess my expectations were a little big.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Is the Wizard really such a great show stopping part? I've yet to determine if I didn't like the character itself or Joel Grey. Maybe I'll catch it again when he leaves to see.

Broadway Style Profile Photo
Broadway Style
#1re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 8:19pm

I agree.."Wonderful" is the only song i don't like. I didn't like it in the theatre and it's even worse on the cast recording. And it's not saturday night yet, it's only 5:30 my luau doesn't start for 3 hours!

"Fidelity is more than mere display, it's what a man expects from life. Fidelity, like mine to Desiree and Charlotte my devoted wife..."

Bret Profile Photo
Bret
#2re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 8:32pm

I, too, think "Wonderful" is the weak point in the score. It seems to be a number thrown in just so Joel Grey can have a moment to strut his stuff.

"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise

vjRichie Profile Photo
vjRichie
#3re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 8:35pm

it looked like it was choreographed by Fosse! Joel practically did those Fosse "jazz hands" move. I thought it looked more like Mr Cellophane from CHICAGO!

"I've had two years to grow claws, Mother, and they're Jungle Red!" Mary Haines - The Women

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#4re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 8:53pm

No, it isn't a great number. But I found it one of the few outright joyful moments amidst the ponderous heaviness of the rest of WICKED.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#5re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 8:59pm

Count me in as another 'non impressed' with that number, or for that matter, the whole show.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Belasco07
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 9:37pm

This is very interesting. While I acknowledge the fact that WICKED is probably a great show, Joel Grey would be my only draw to go see it, just because, well he's the INCOMPARABLE (let me emphasize this as much as possible) Joel Grey. It was the same thing with Chita in NINE. I get the impression that from what everyone is saying he (in this particually case) is not "worth it" (at least in terms of the role.)

JoizeyActor
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 9:42pm

I was so excited to see a Broadway legend on stage, but I was left unimpressed. He was definitely my least favorite on the stage.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 9:44pm

Went I went to see Wicked, one of the things I was most looking forward to was Joel Gray, based on how wonderful I thought he was in both stage and film versions of Cabaret. I know the years have passed, but speaking objectively, I didn't get any thrill from him this time. I don't know if it was the weak song, or his performance.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 9:48pm

I'd say the applause Joel Grey receive is out of respect, not because he gives a show stopping performance. Updated On: 2/21/04 at 09:48 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 9:52pm

When i listen to the CD i usually skip the song "Wonderful" or just let it play when im busy. I also skip "something bad" I dont like the sheep sound! =P

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Qfan Profile Photo
Qfan
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/21/04 at 11:05pm

something bad doesnt come off like a song in the play it coems off like a funny lil minute of talking and slight singing.
Wonderful isn't wonderful its decnt. not great not bad but somewhere in the middle.

"Look on the Bright Side Not on the Blackside get off your backside shine those shoes! This is your golden opportunity: Your the lightning and the news!" -Assassins

MusicalComedyMan
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderful is his Wizard?
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:46am

Well i HATE Wicked and I don't mind saying so on this LOVING wicked board. BUT I love Joel Grey. the Wizard in Wicked in the villan, tho its not written that way... and all the songs he sings seem FORCED to fit into the style we see as Joel Grey... Lets face it Stephen Schwartz (and i LOVE Pippen) is NO Kander and Ebb!!!!

Broadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderf
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:50am

"show stopper" is right... his "I'm a sentimental man" brings the show to a screeching halt.....

Wonderful isn't that bad...

The part itself is sorta flimsy but its necessary to tie some pieces together...

he's definitely better than Robert Morse who wondered around stage like he was lost barely remembering his lines..

Call it a regime change...

Wicked_Elphie Profile Photo
Wicked_Elphie
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderf
Posted: 2/22/04 at 2:59am

I think it's really cute and funny when him and Idina were dancing but I really don't like the songs very much.

I always skip "Wonderful" and "I am a sentimental man"

Ohhh and I agree with you CAJ...I don't like th sheep sound either! lol

"Take a breath. Take a step. Take a chance. Take your time." -L5Y

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderf
Posted: 2/22/04 at 3:32am

i LOVE wonderful! i think its such a cute song, and joel is great! i DO NOT like "Sentimental Man" its such a weak song. but thats it

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderf
Posted: 2/22/04 at 8:25am

There was a lot of excitement and hype about Joel Grey being in Wicked. But his part was rather small and unimpressive to me. But I am comparing him to Joel Grey of the old days. He also should up date his head shot. It must be about 30 years old. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey: Just How Wonderf

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Grey:
Posted: 2/22/04 at 8:41am

I thought Joel was great as the Wizard. I was surprised with how small his part was, but he performed it perfectly, even the dreadful song he was given.

Broadwaylilhead
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Gr
Posted: 2/22/04 at 9:57am

Ok..now I've read everything...you don't like the "baaaaa" ???

HE'S A GOAT!

What else is he suppose to do.....moo? bark?

HotTicket Profile Photo
HotTicket
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Gr
Posted: 2/22/04 at 11:19am

The "Baaaa" was very important. Everytime I listen to the song I feel sad for the professor.

JoizeyActor
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Joel Gr
Posted: 2/22/04 at 11:20am

I want to see his understudy, Sean McCourt. He was Dr. Parker in Bat Boy.

Broadwaylilhead
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 2/22/04 at 11:54am

Yes, I'm sure Sean brings so much more to the role of a goat...

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:04pm

I think William is excellent as Dr. Dillamond. I think he's very underrated, he really gives a great performance for such a small part.

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:06pm

It's an ok song, but it's not all that impressive.

Defy Gravity!!

JoizeyActor
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 2/22/04 at 12:46pm

I was talking about the part of the Wizard, lilhead.

I wonder if Sean and Joel have a bitter hatred, too. Gee, maybe you could ask your Wicked friend, lilhead!