Overpriced Broadway Merchandise

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#0Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 10:45am

Alright everyone what do you think is the most overpriced Broadway junk? High on my list are : the little stuffed cow from Rent and show logo shirts. Updated On: 4/5/04 at 10:45 AM

cmleidi
#1re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 3:37pm

$35. for BOMBAY DREAMS t-shirts is a bit much. I was going to buy one, but I figured I could just wait and buy for ten to twelve dollars less at one of the Broadway merchandise shops. Updated On: 4/5/04 at 03:37 PM

#2re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 3:40pm

It is one of those things where in the heat of the moment one buys them impusively.
I always wait until the end of the show. Sometimes you can get awesome gifts signed by the cast after the show. Such as Posters fro BC/EFA.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#3re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 3:50pm

Tickets.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#4re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 4:40pm

AMEN!!! I really wanted a Urinetown shirt, but it was just way to pricey for me....just for a shirt. Ive also wanted to collect posters from certain shows...but don't have that much money for a piece of paper.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 4:41pm

The INTO THE WOODS shirt at $25 from the revival. It was just a small logo in the upper right corner of the shirt!!!

DVDs at the Broadway New York stores are WAY overpriced. I can get them on eBay or Amazon.com much cheaper AND free shipping. Example: PUTTING IT TOGETHER DVD.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#6re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 5:50pm

$45 for theHairspray and LSOH sweatshirts. I think $45 for any swaetshirt is crazy.

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 7:04pm

All tickets & any souvenirs sold in the theaters. Here is a hint. Wait until the show closes & than go back to the Broadway tourist traps & many times you will see the T shirts etc marked down 50%

Poster Emeritus

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 7:51pm

the wicked zip-up thingy is $50.00 and the Saturday Night Fever HUGE fleece was $60.00 bway is insane.. i also think $15 for programs are a bit too much.

#9Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 7:55pm

I do buy the posters if they are signed. And a program for 15 is not THAT much, in my opinion. It is just as expensive as concerts now a days.

Hank
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 8:04pm

It's the same way with sport fans, and with most shows, concerts, movies, etc. Supply, demand. What's it worth to you?
Don't be a sucker. Wait it out. It'll come to you.
OK, there are a few exceptions. Again, what's it worth to you?
If it makes you happy, enjoy!

MauveRose
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 10:54pm

I spent $13 for the Never Gonna Dance keychain, which is a quarter with the words Never Gonna Dance around the outside.

SO worth it.

Don't make me brag. ;)

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 10:56pm

Broadway shirts!
$27 for one shirt?? Thats not right

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:00pm

The CDs! What a price gouge. 20 to 35 dollars for CDs you can get at your local record store or online for much less. Virgin in Times Square is not much better.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:00pm

Once people stop buying @ the inflated prices, the prices will come down . The people selling the stuff believe Barnum was right & that a sucker is born every minute & they should fleece the rubes & squeeze all the milk out of the cow they can. I do not buy the stuff & my wife has now started to see how overpriced things are & things she wanted she puts back when she hears the price

Poster Emeritus

NativeNewYorker
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/6/04 at 10:20am

My $10 Millie key chain that fell apart. All the paint pretty much rubbed off. I want a new one!

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/6/04 at 11:27am

Mr Roxy, I agree, but i doubt you could convince the tourists not to spend their money in theater lobbies...

citylights
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/6/04 at 4:01pm

I like Broadway touristy shops- you can find show merchandise that isn't made anymore. I found a Mark souvenir scarf (for Rent, the striped one with 525,600 on the back) after they stopped making them, and after a little bargaining got it for $22. I felt very smart when I saw the same scarf being auctioned on eBay for $100+...

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/6/04 at 4:07pm

Funny thing you mentioned Virgin Megastore earlier...I live in the midwest and the cd's at Virgin were cheaper in NYC than here...they were between 15-17.99 at Virgin and 18-25 here..i kicked myself for not buying them there...

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

Bway_Mill_Fan Profile Photo
Bway_Mill_Fan
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/6/04 at 4:16pm

Native!

I thought i was the only one! though Millie's right arm sort of fell apart too re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Overpriced Broadway Merchandise
Posted: 4/6/04 at 7:02pm

It's really hard for me to go on websites such as broadwaynewyork.com or even Ebay and see all these beautiful Broadway related things and not even coming close to being able to afford them!!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Videos