songs cut from producers movie?

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#0songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 5:16pm

the artical on the bbw.com homepage says that the movie is running long and they may have to cut some songs from the show. but although this is a dillema, they made have to add some to appease nickole kidman because she is such a huge star and all (note the sarcasm). so if it is neccessary, which songs should be cut?

im not partial to "you never say good luck on opening night"

Dennis2
#1re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 5:39pm

Yes, you're right about "It's bad luck to say good luck on opening night". I was reading that book by Jeffrey Denman and he felt that it was just costume change number for the ensemble in Springtime.

Also, If Will Ferrel really is going to play Franz they might cut back on one of his numbers, which is too bad because I really like "Haben zie gehort das deuths band?". Maybe they'll play around with the way they open the story too (get rid of opening night too?)

I don't like ice cream
Updated On: 5/5/04 at 05:39 PM

Jon
#2re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 5:46pm

There is no way they will cut "Haben Zie Gehort..." - espcially becuase it's (partially) from the original movie. I can certainly see cutting "In Old Bavaria" or shortening "Guten Tag Hop Klop".

nystateomind04
#3re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 5:48pm

i read that book too, i loved it

Dennis2
#4re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 6:29pm

Yeah, that book is awesome.

Jon, you're right about Haben zie gehort...but I'm just wondering if Ferrel can actually sing it. I mean we know he can sing pretty well from some SNL skits, but do think he could give as great performence of the song as Brad Oscar, or would they rewrite it a little so he could get through it? I'm worried about what might happen to that song now......

I don't like ice cream
Updated On: 5/5/04 at 06:29 PM

Plum
#5re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 6:52pm

Oh, come on. Haben zie gehort isn't the most challenging song in the world; I'm sure Ferrell can pull it off.

nystateomind04
#6re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 8:18pm

i dont think ferrell is the one to worry about, it is kidman, IMHO who doesnt have the talent to pull her bit off.

"now ulla belt"-? i'd like to see her try, but i probably wont be able to because im sure the song will be rewritten to fit her, and we will loose a great ending to one of my favorite songs in the show.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 8:24pm

To save running time, major numbers will have to go. Will it wind up as another " A Funny Thing Happened..." ?

Poster Emeritus

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#8re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 9:16pm

"Now Ulla sing breathy and sultry!"

Nope! Can't see her as Ulla.

nystateomind04
#9re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 10:23pm

thanks, im glad someone else see's that there is a good chance that she'll mutilate the role.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#10re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/5/04 at 11:24pm

Nicole will be a terrific Ulla, she may need to put on a little weight though.

As for songs that could be dropped that's easy, Der GuttenTag Hop-Clop and You Never Say Good Luck On Opening Night. Along Came Bially could certainly be trimmed for the film. There you are, I've just cut about 8 minutes from the film.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#11re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 6:54am

"you're right about Haben zie gehort...but I'm just wondering if Ferrel can actually sing it."
Will Ferrel can sing, or at least carry a tune. Anyone see the Oscars?: "Look at Catharine Zeta Jones, She's snoring! You're boring!" written by Mr.Shaiman if I'm not mistaken. One day I'll have to get up the courage to ask him for a reprint of the lyrics to The Lord of the Rings spoof. Loved it!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#12re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 7:12am

Yes, with Nicole as Ulla they can include a heartwarming number for her and Leo of them attempting to strangle each other.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

dano Profile Photo
dano
#13re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 9:46am

"That Face" could be cut. It doesn't seem to match the other songs in the play.

"Singing is the lowest form of communication" - Homer
Updated On: 5/6/04 at 09:46 AM

Plum
#14re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 10:37am

Well, it's not really a comedy number, which is why it doesn't match. But I like it; it's very sweet.

dano Profile Photo
dano
#15re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 11:22am

Exactly. It's the only song that's not funny. Sure I like it, but if something has to be cut...

"Singing is the lowest form of communication" - Homer

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#16re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 11:40am

That Face is Mel's favorite song in the show. Don't count on that one being cut.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#17re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 11:44am

To save running time, major numbers will have to go. Will it wind up as another " A Funny Thing Happened..." ?

Well, in that case they might as well just re-release a restored version of the original film.

That reminds me...isn't it time to do a full film version of FORUM?

PEACE.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 7:16pm

Speaking of Forum, the film was shot in Spain on part of the massive set constructed a few years earlier for The Fall Of The Roman Empire. Alas, they demolished it so it would have to be made elsewhere.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/6/04 at 07:16 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#19re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 9:02pm

they'll probably cut "in old balvaria" "bad luck to say..." they're gonna trim down "along came bialy" and "gutten hog hup clop" some scenes will be added and trimmed down.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#20re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 10:14pm

They will be replacing "Betrayed" with "Bring On Tommorow"

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/6/04 at 10:23pm

If Betrayed goes, why bother making it ? If these rumors are true about songs being cut, I will pass on the movie

Poster Emeritus

Plum
#22re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/7/04 at 12:00am

Look, tons of movie musicals have songs cut. Oklahoma! cut out "Lonely Room" and "It's a Scandal," for example, and it's considered a classic. This isn't supposed to be a transcription of the stage show (like the London Oklahoma DVD), it's an adaptation. So if something weak or unecessary gets cut, so be it.

Jon
#23re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/7/04 at 1:43am

They want to make Ulla's part bigger, so they absolutely will NOT cut "That Face".

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#24re: songs cut from producers movie?
Posted: 5/7/04 at 2:40am

I don't really see this movie happening at all. If it gets made within the next 40 years, I'll be surprised.

Videos